Forums Latest Members
  1. seekingseaquest Mar 10, 2021

I was in the progress of posting all of my clean-dial “redials” - then I realized I have too many ::facepalm1::

Kmart, apsm100, MtV and 5 others like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 10, 2021

Maybe you need to spend a few years learning like we have before making pronouncements.
    That being said, no one should ever trust blindly any vintage watch sale; even on this very trustworthy forum.
    Meaning everyone must do due diligence on a potential purchase. However being courteous in tone is a requisite for doing business here.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 10, 2021

Edited Mar 10, 2021
    Elfrenez, Socks, apsm100 and 3 others like this.
  4. wagudc Mar 10, 2021

I was going to post this excerpt of the rules for @Shabbaz

"You can of course openly discuss the item in question publicly , but not in the sales post . Such discussions are to be respectful and non-accusatory. Serious concerns should be directed in reports to staff."

I have also stuck my foot in my mouth over wrongly calling an original dial a redial.

5. BenBagbag Mar 10, 2021

I also have jumped gun and not followed this rule - foot in mouth (foot? @sdre ::love::)

I will say that there are times when a redial is so egregious and flagrant that I think the rule *could* be bent - but only when you are absolutely positive and the member may not have a well-established selling (or posting) history on OF. In the hour or two until it gets cleared up by mods it could sell.

But then again - for every one time someone gets it right it seems there are three foot in mouth posts. So probably not worth it all considered.

sdre, apsm100, Shabbaz and 1 other person like this.
  6. wagudc Mar 10, 2021

@ngintime as others have said if you stick to watches posted publicly in the sales forum. However, you should be very weary of sales offered over private message.

Also, don't underestimate how many of the world's top experts and collectors of Omega watches are members of this forum, some have posted on this very thread. I would argue there is a much greater knowledge base of vintage watches here, than anywhere else including the Omega watch company itself. Stay around awhile and learn from them.

For the record I am not one of these experts, but I have been around long enough to understand how special this place is. I am grateful to all the folks who have shared their knowledge with me. I appreciate their patience with my ignorance, and don't fault them when they get cranky (except for the handful of a-holes that every place has).

7. Walrus Mar 10, 2021

Let’s say the dude isn’t a troll for the sake of argument. I often find myself amazed at the condition of 50-60-70 etc year old watches I see here, and not just in the sales section but in the WRUW. I could see in our cynical age someone used to seeing things that look their age could question many of these examples. Shoot I’ve done more damage to a watch in 5 years than many of these beauties but I’m an idiot and wore a nice movado changing motors. I don’t know why I did it I just always wore that watch. But yes things that look like they were in a sock draw for a lifetime exist, and it’s actually not even that rare. Look at pocket watch collections. I got a friend who has some from the 1800’s that look like they just came off the shelf. It’s good to question things to a degree, but yes, many times things are as they seem. Other times, not so much.

Charlemagne1333, MtV, apsm100 and 2 others like this.
  8. wagudc Mar 10, 2021

I agree, I think he honestly didn't think it was possible for a watch that old to look that good. It is understandable. Some truly extraordinary watches come up here. It is no surprise that most watches people find on Chrono24 or Ebay get trashed by the collectors here. The expectations are much higher.

9. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 10, 2021

A very, very small percentage of all things eek out a miraculous survival

89BC149B-D3F4-4DEF-B825-E8BC8BC190F6.jpeg

regardless of age

58F43285-A09C-44DB-AB61-9621175E75BD.jpeg

Dan S, Syrte, Kmart and 6 others like this.