Forums Latest Members

Are Longines watches good?

1. cal3.2.1 Jan 23, 2021

I am unfamiliar with most other brands besides omega which even I am not as knowledgeable as I would wish to be. I am in the market for a new watch (my first luxury watch) for around $1,000 USD which would be a major upgrade from my Invicta watch. I am considering vintage Omega’s but have also considered Longines watches. Can anyone tell me perhaps how good these watches are? How well they hold up (I tend to use things rather roughly) and if their movements are any good? Thanks for the help!

noelekal likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 23, 2021

I would not rate Longines any lower than Omega,I have both old and new Longines watches and they are great.

They don't seem to get as much respect now as they did in the past but there was a time when they were considered as good as Omega and I have heard some people say they were better.

3. SkunkPrince Jan 23, 2021

They're as good as any. You might look at modern Hamilton as well.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 23, 2021

Or vintage Hamilton for that matter, it is quite an under rated watch.

64Wing, nzshadow and Bencherman like this.
  5. SkunkPrince Jan 23, 2021

Indeed, both US and Swiss movement versions are quite good.

Bencherman likes this.
  6. cal3.2.1 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks for the help y’all. I did not know some would rate them as good as my personal favorite Omega. Does anyone have any suggestions about which Longines to look at? Personally I am looking for an every day watch, something with a leather strap. I have looked into a Hydroconquest but I heard some bad things about it. What do y’all think? I like the new flagship Heritage but I think it may be too dressy for an every day.

7. SkunkPrince Jan 23, 2021

No such thing as "too dressy" unless you have diamonds all over it or something.

Just pick whatever you like.

Tako Yaki likes this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 23, 2021

These Longines Heritage Conquest automatics are currently available new in the UK for £920. Mine are 35mm but they do larger. They’re great.

0B6ACD59-100E-4E5D-9FD1-AA0D5A26756D.jpeg 53A263BF-EBB8-4F51-BA28-5BB59A3C0921.jpeg 46D98A57-E9B7-48DC-A5A1-9B29CE02F781.jpeg

9. SkunkPrince Jan 23, 2021

Those are nice and classic.

Spruce likes this.
  10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 23, 2021

And comparatively new (I bought them second hand)(well, no surprise about that) ;)

11. cal3.2.1 Jan 23, 2021

377F04AB-0FAB-4CF0-8CC9-A3FFA1F59D0B.jpeg
    Tako Yaki and jaguar11 like this.
  12. Ness Jan 23, 2021

Part of the new line-up design, which is heavily based on some vintage models, is really beautiful.

13. guppydriver Jan 23, 2021

I bought this Longines Heritage Diver because I loved the Milanese bracelet and I since have absolutely fallen in love with it. I wear it much more often than I anticipated. I think it’s very underrated. 6738DFB1-FD20-469D-AA28-198E4BC02EDA.jpeg

Tako Taki 8, Elmoe, 64Wing and 10 others like this.
  14. cal3.2.1 Jan 23, 2021

How’s it holding up? I tend to.... use things I have more than the average person AKA I am a bit more rough with things.

15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 23, 2021

I haven’t seen the Oris Pro Pilot although I do have a couple of Oris Big Crown Pointer Dates which I like very much.

I prefer Longines they dress up or down, I can live with the date (I don’t go for day/date or sub-dials) and although the Heritage comes in 40mm as well as the above 35mm, I prefer the 35mm.

Both Oris and Longines run very well but in my view, Longines make better looking dress watches although, if I was looking for a diver, I’d go after an Oris 65.

Pun likes this.
  16. cal3.2.1 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks!

CHRONOZEN likes this.
  17. guppydriver Jan 23, 2021

It's great. The bracelet clasp is pretty scratched up because I, like you, don't baby my watches. The case and crystal are in wonderful condition and it keeps excellent time. It has just a few light scratches on the bottom lugs from when I declared war on them changing to a NATO, but Longines is a great brand. It's very popular in Asia from what I hear.

IMO, once you get away from manufactures who design and produce their own movements, it's all about what piece speaks to you. They are all going to be very similar in quality. The one benefit of Longines is that in addition to a nice watch, you get a pretty amazing heritage as well.

Just make sure you really want the watch and that you'll love wearing it. If you are buying a Longines/Oris/Tag because you really want a better than department store watch now but REALLY desire an Omega/Tudor/Rolex, do yourself a favor and hide the money and keep saving. Ask me how I know. I wanted a Oreo GMT really bad, but figured I could never save the 6k to obtain it. What did I do instead? I would save for a bit and buy a $1000 microbrand. Then I'd save and buy a 2K Bell and Ross....you get the idea. Before I knew it, I had about 6k in watches that I wasn't really passionate about and no PO GMT.

noelekal, Pun and Engee like this.
  18. CHRONOZEN Jan 24, 2021

I am a big FAN and COLLECTOR of Vintage LONGINES 1914 to end of 50s,at this period LONGINES made the movement finition much better than big name like OMEGA,ROLEX and others.....
    Just to see the caliber 13zn and 30ch....ect. just for information even PATEK looking to buy the CAL13zn and 30ch so good is the chronograph calibers made by LONGINES.

19. 707mm2 Jan 29, 2021

Hi,
    Also a Longines collector, while it is true that some vintage Longines watches were of superior finish, sometimes almost equal to PP or VC, keep in mind that these are quite rare samples... Omega and Rolex made A LOT of high grade chronometers, while any Longines chronometer made before the 1960s is extremely hard to find. If we stick to wristwatches, to my experience the vast majority of Longines made between 1930-1960 were of nicer finish than their Omega counterparts of similar price but still under Rolex, this last one competing only against its higher ends offerings. BUT in any case, a high quality vintage Longines does sell today for less than those two brands, but I feel it's getting everyday nearer to Omega !

CHRONOZEN and Spruce like this.
  20. jaguar11 Jan 29, 2021

Nice quality and good value for money in my opinion. I like the Heritage collection very much. Perhaps when I am in a better place I will treat myself to a diver model!

Bencherman, Spruce and CHRONOZEN like this.