Forums Latest Members
  1. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

Ha ha.
    :thumbsup:

2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 9, 2016

I dunno either, though I'm sure she could find a way...
    4showgirls_pt6_02.jpg

3. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

She is smart and left her Omega at home.

4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 9, 2016

I suppose, to make an apples with apples comparison, it would require Omega (and other manufacturers) to disclose not only whether they coat both sides of the crystal, but also how many layers they use on each side and the technical specification of each layer. As this would amount to disclosure of proprietary information, I think it's highly unlikely any manufacturer would want this information in the public domain.

And for those of a you who must know more, here is a paper on anti-reflective coatings https://www.omegafilters.com/docume...-Reflective Coatings and When To Use Them.pdf

STANDY and meganfox17 like this.
  5. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 9, 2016

AR crystals are not that expensive you can get these replaced..

6. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2016

There's probably an AR coating on the underside of the crystal too.

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 9, 2016

Do you call $280 not that expensive?

8. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2016

That's a lot of Espresso Macchiatos!

FullyWound and meganfox17 like this.
  9. MIDASCHEN Dec 9, 2016

Are you sure Omega applies AR on the outside? It looks nothing like a Sinn or Damasko coating which is visible even when not scratched (there's a specific colour tint that is a dead giveaway). Also AR coating usually is a fingerprint magnet.

10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 9, 2016

Some AR coatings are awesome. This 7002 has AR coating on the crystal. While wearing this watch around other watch collectors. I have been asked many times does that watch have a crystal in it?
    A friend of mine owns a optical lab and did the AR coating as a favor. I do not know the type of AR coating but the coating is better than the coatings on many high end watches that I own.

arc.jpg arc1.jpg
    Jwit likes this.
  11. w.finkenstaedt Dec 9, 2016

Almost every in-house Omega has double AR (outside and inside). They say so directly on their website for each watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 9, 2016

dont be silly you can buy saphire double ar crystals for £80 new from sternkreuz with an account they are not $280 you can get specific sizes dome heights etc made for less..

13. Alex_TA Dec 10, 2016

Indeed. I never understood it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 10, 2016

My PO has double AR with tiny scratches. My SMPs are all internally coated only as is my Speedmaster. BA. AR isn't all that tough, it can be scratched pretty easily, it's nowhere near as tough as the underlying sapphire.

EDIT: I think I was wrong about the BA, I think that may be double coated too, but none of the various SMPs seem to be.

Edited Dec 10, 2016
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 10, 2016

Bremont are Jokers who will claim just about anything to get an edge. The main way they sell anything is to offer a 50% discount to serving military personnel which then has the effect of making their stuff look like it is the military's choice, which in a sense it is I guess. Breitling tried something similar for a few years. Bremont are rather like Christopher Ward with marginally better credentials and a much much bigger price tag.

Edited Dec 11, 2016
  16. korenje Dec 10, 2016

well unless AR coating difuses within the sapphire, it's pretty much useless and scratchable.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2016

As I said previously in this thread....

"AR coatings vary wildly in their durability and effectiveness, as well as the colour tint they have."

The earlier coatings had a blue or purple tint, but the later coatings have almost no tint.

Many watches started out with AR coating only on the inside, but later switched to double sided AR.

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2016

Please show me a double AR coated, double domed crystal, as in the watch that started this thread, for less than $280...from Omega, that's an $800 crystal...and the case back crystal is $600.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2016

Omega has had some issues with the coatings on some crystals. In fact the crystal for the watch the OP posted was noted as one of those with possible problems as of January this year. Not scratches in the coating, but it wearing off easily in larger patches - around the edge from a shirt sleeve for example. They offer free exchange of the crystal on affected watches.

ConElPueblo and Kobiturbo like this.
  20. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2016

Uh oh @FullyWound - better get a double shot of espresso before answering that one. You might need to be ExtraWound.

Oh, and let us know how the carpet is - is there nice padding underneath? Does it make you all staticky? I figure you'd be the one to ask since you've gotten called out on it.