Forums Latest Members
  1. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

i could not live with scratches in the ar coating,so i removed it.
    And that after 5 weeks:( image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2016

But it still looks black to me. ::confused2::

Besides, AR coating is only for pirates.

ch-made, Jwit, Nitzbar and 4 others like this.
  3. meganfox17 Dec 9, 2016

Is that the AR scratch ?[​IMG]What did you use to remove it ?[​IMG]

4. drhex Dec 9, 2016

What are you trying to tell us? That the coating isn't as good as you'd expect?

5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 9, 2016

with that kind of dial - Omega needs to start putting AR coating on those as well ... :D

Kobiturbo likes this.
  6. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

Hello,its the first time for me to have ar coating on the outsite.
    After a few weeks i saw scratches in the sunlight,for me that was a surprise.i knew it could hapen.
    Both pictures are without ar coating.
    Only cloating could have done it,i did not expect that.
    But it is a beautiful watch,also without the ar coating on the outside.

7. korenje Dec 9, 2016

usually de ville watches have ar coating on both sides... this are considered tool watches and aren't supposed to have it on the outside...

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 9, 2016

Odd my 3313 is marketed as AR on both sides. no external scratches after daily wear for 2 years. Then again I can tell the inside has it but not the outside.

9. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

I am talking about smal scratches..
    I removed it with festool ceramic compound,that took 2 hours..
    So it is not soft at all.

10. meganfox17 Dec 9, 2016

The DSOTM & its variants , GSOTM, WSOTM do have anti reflective coatings in the outer & inner surface of the sapphire crystal. Likewise German Tool watches like Sinn & Muhle Glashutte
    ( since I owned one of each ) have dual anti reflective coatings but Bremont Aviation watches takes the AR coatings to another level. Total 18 = 9 layers of AR on the outer & another 9 layers on the inner surface of the SC which is then hardened !

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2016

Are you implying that other brands like Omega don't have more than one layer for their coatings?

Cheers, Al

12. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 9, 2016

When I read the thread title I thought......cool, a new coating for my AR.
    [​IMG]

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2016

If you want to speed the job up next time, get some diamond paste - will be done in 10 minutes...

Kobiturbo likes this.
  14. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 9, 2016

Megan knows her watches! Impressive!

With no anti-reflective coating glass has a reflectance of 4% and sapphire of 7.7% per surface (so double that for a window). A single coat AR can get you around 1% per surface, which is already a big improvement. Multiple layer AR coatings will lower that number still and make the better performance more "broadband" (across the spectrum of visible colours). My experience with AR (though not for watches) is that they can be quite difficult to damage, especially if the substrate (e.g. window) is already hard (e.g. sapphire).

meganfox17 likes this.
  15. Kobiturbo Dec 9, 2016

Thanks.
    It was the first time:thumbsup:

16. meganfox17 Dec 9, 2016

No Mr @Archer. I'm sure Omega has many layers but the folks in Bienne are so secretive about it. I can't get the AR info I need but on the contrary the
    ' Dual ' English brothers from Bremont are not afraid of informing the consumers what their products are made of. Ok. Ok Mr @Archer I know the next thing you're going to ask me is that Bremont false claim about their In house movement which was proven untrue & a total PR disaster

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2016

Indeed, I would not call a company that says they make a movement "in house" and really don't, a model of transparency. And in no way do I buy the "excuses" given for that particular debacle. If you've watched the video you can only conclude they are either untrustworthy, or incompetent IMO, and I tend to think it's the former.

But back to the subject at hand - AR coatings vary wildly in their durability and effectiveness, as well as the colour tint they have. Omegas newer coatings hold up much better than they did previously.

Who have you asked at Omega about the AR coatings?

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  18. meganfox17 Dec 9, 2016

Everybody in Malaysia !! I even posed that same question to the GMs of the two biggest OB & they just said dual anti reflective coatings ..Yeah Right ! And something like you said Mr Archer.
    Nobody seems to know how many layers or what stuff Omega was using.
    I even met Mr David Ponzo , ex Managing Director Swatch Group South East Asia many years ago who was at the OB Starhill Gallery for the launching of the new DeVille Hour Vision models[​IMG]Did you know what the OB staff told me ? They told me to keep quiet & warned me not to ask Mr Ponzo silly questions about the DeVille !!

Edited Dec 9, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay and Deafboy like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2016

Email Omega in Switzerland...

meganfox17 likes this.
  20. ConElPueblo Dec 9, 2016

I have no idea how people manage to scratch the AR coating. Do you scrape it along the side walk? ::confused2::