Forums Latest Members
  1. stevencuth99 May 14, 2020

Hi everyone!

Has anyone had he opportunity to have worn the Aqua Terra 8500 and the 8800.

I currently own the 8500 skyfall. But I’ve heard the new model 8800 is thinner? For this reason I’d possibly look to move to the newer model. Skinny wrist issues you see.

what are people thoughts?

Thanks
    Steven

2. Stufflers Mom May 14, 2020

It wouldn't be a swap I would be contemplating, the Skyfall is a classic.

pongster likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller May 14, 2020

You lose the jumping hour hand feature and have a shorter power reserve. If that matters to you, it's a downgrade. Otherwise, it's all down to style. Personally, I prefer the vertical striping on the dial of the 8500 over the horizontal ones on the new ATs.

munichblue, pongster and imranbecks like this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 14, 2020

Same here, I favor the vertical stripping and the 3 o’clock date window

pongster likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2020

You also gain a quick set date and lose the worn hour wheel problem that stalls the hands out during a date change when it happens. If that masters to you, it’s an upgrade...

savio.79 and Nobel Prize like this.
  6. time flies May 14, 2020

Can't help you with the 8800. This 8500 is almost the one watch for me. 20180904_081628.jpg
    have fun
    kfw

8100_RPM likes this.
  7. imranbecks May 14, 2020

Like some have mentioned, the 8500 is better with the longer power reserve and the jumping hour hand which is really very useful when setting time or date. And setting the date with the jumping hour hand gives you a peace of mind without worrying about changing the date between 8pm and 2am. Jumping hour hand is again useful when you are travelling to a different time zone.

Most importantly, let's be honest here, the vertical teak just looks classier.

[​IMG]

vinn, pongster, Wetworks and 2 others like this.
  8. 8100_RPM May 14, 2020

Keep the 8500. There's just something about the vertical dial that is more appealing than the horizontal. At the end of the day, go with what you like more.

AT 2-1.jpg

pongster, Wetworks and Alfista88 like this.
  9. Alfista88 May 14, 2020

8500 all the way. Silent lubricated rotor wins it for me.

I had a 8806 Seamaster. I sold it because hearing the loud rotor spin, and often even feeling the vibration of that spinning rotor while the watch was worn on my wrist, really eroded my enjoyment of what is supposed to be a luxury timepiece.

I recognize the technology is superior, and be it Omega or Rolex. these ceramic ball bearing rotors are the future. But the loud spinning sound found on these non-lubricated ball bearing movements... is a characteristic I prefer to avoid on my watches. Hearing it spin around, and being able to feel the vibration wobbling through the caseback just reminds me too much of the Miyota movements used in Invicta watches, when I first got into this hobby 15 years ago.

10. stevencuth99 May 16, 2020

Thanks for all the replies. I think you’re right when you say I need to keep the 8500. It was my first proper ‘luxury’ watch purchase and I think I’d be crazy to get rid. But if a knee jerk reaction!!!

The hunt is on for the next one now.

Steven