Forums Latest Members
  1. cnjackson Apr 18, 2020

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted here--but I'd be grateful for some help navigating the world of Aqua Terras.

I've had my eye on one of the post-2017 models--blue or black in 38mm on bracelet. I've had a chance to try them on, and they are beautiful. The 41mm also fit well, but maybe a little large for me (~6.5" wrist).

In my research, though, I have just discovered some older models that have really struck me--the 2503.33 (white with blued hands and indices); the 2503.80 (blue dial); and the 2503.50 (black dial). I hope I have those numbers right.

I really like how understated and, I guess, classic these older models look. And the thought of getting a second-hand watch for everyday use pleases me.

I do have a few questions, though:

I gather that the 2503s wear somewhat large for a 39mm? especially with the length of the bracelet endlinks? Have some of you with wrists like mine (6.5") found that this watch fits well on the bracelet?

A more subjective/impossible question: I've had some mixed feelings about the teak deck pattern on the ATs (vertical or horizontal--though I like the current horizontal more). For those of you who have been in the watch world longer than I have been--is a pattern like the teak deck pattern likely to age well?

By contrast, the aesthetics of the 2503s seem timeless.

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts/input!

Chris

Edited Apr 19, 2020
  2. jeelan Apr 19, 2020

I think in the 25** series AT’s the 39mm is the perfect size In that model, but yes they do wear a little larger because of the thinner bezel. They also sit a lot thinner on the wrist vs the new model AT’s. The bracelet clasp is very low profile and flow into the bracelet rather than the bracelet being attached to a separate locking mechanism. The tines on the clasp are also very thing which makes this bracelet super comfortable.

I originally had a number of these (2503.33, 2503.50, and 2503.34). My wife tried one on for a while and really liked them so i gave her the 2503.33 and 2503.34 models and sold the black dial.

I’ve since purchased a couple of the 8500 calibre ATs. Whilst i think the first generation AT’s certainly are classics and ageless, i cant see anything in the design elements of the 85** calibre AT’s that would suggest they wont withstand the test of time - things i typically look for are fonts, shapes, colours etc (its one of the big reasons i stay from brands like Breitling whose design cue’s i find to be very fashion driven).

Give the AT 85** has now been out for just over a decade, im still wowed when i see pictures of say the Skyfall AT or the grey dial AT in different lights and the vertical dial design is subtle and reserved in real world wear.

I’m not sure you can go wrong with either one - asthetically It’ll likely come down to a personal choice as they will sit quite different on your wrist.

Cheers
    Jeelan

cnjackson likes this.
  3. NT931 Apr 19, 2020

I have a 6.3" wrist, and own a 38.5mm AT8500. I've also tried the 2503.33 which is lovely with the blued hands. They both fit well on my slim wrist.

Both would be excellent purchases for a versatile watch, and I still enjoy the teak dial as much as I did 8y ago when I bought my AT8500.

4. Undefeatable Apr 20, 2020

Here's my post-2017 41mm on my 6.5'' wrist. I love it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wetworks likes this.
  5. cnjackson Apr 20, 2020

Hi Jeelan! Thank you for your thoughts! I especially appreciate your words on the aesthetics of the more recent (planked) ATs. I'm glad to know you feel the newer ATs will stand the test of time.

After a lot of waffling in my head, I find myself leaning back towards the 8800 or 8900! probably in blue...

Thanks again for your insights!

Chris

6. cnjackson Apr 20, 2020

Hi NT931--this helps a lot: I'm glad to know that the 8500s and 2500s will fit a wrist like mine! It's also great to see that you still enjoy the teak dial 8 years on!

As I wrote above, I am currently leaning back towards an 8800 or 8900--not entirely sure which size is best.

Thanks again!
    Chris

7. cnjackson Apr 20, 2020

Wow! That watch looks great! and looks terrific on your wrist. So it looks like you find the 41 to be ok? It certainly looks good!

This helps me wrestle with which case size to go for!

Thank you!
    Chris

8. Undefeatable Apr 20, 2020

Thanks!

I find the 41mm size to be great! It looks smaller on my wrist in person too, since taking a closer wrist shot always makes the watch look bigger. I have had watches from 36mm-45mm (Panerai) and my sweet spot is usually between the 36mm-40mm, but the lugs on the AT (and Omega's in general) allow me to go up to 42mm without an issue. My previous watch before this was one of the new 2018 42mm Seamasters, and that fit good as well!

9. dinexus Apr 20, 2020

[​IMG]

The 2500-series Aqua Terras always felt a little unrefined and 'unfinished' to me, whereas starting from the 8500, it really felt like the bar had been set with a 'completed' product, and now the current options more or less serve as a subtle variant update rather than an entirely new product.

Skyfall for me, hands-down.

Undefeatable and 8100_RPM like this.
  10. jeelan Apr 20, 2020

I havent tried the 38mm in this range so dont have any comments about how it sits relative to the 41mm, but the biggest advantage of the 8800’s is allowing the watch to be a bit thinner than the larger AT’s - how pronounced that is on the wrist is a different story though...

The dials also vary a little between the 38mm and the 41mm so its probably going to come down to what looks / feels good on your wrist. Othewise both are Omega’s newest movements so cant really see any benefits of one over the other...

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!

Cheers
    Jeelan

11. Spyder Apr 20, 2020

Have you also considered ref. 231.90.39.21.04.001?

12. cnjackson Apr 21, 2020

Thank you very much! Waiting for the the end of the pandemic when, among many others things, I can visit an AD and see them again.

Chris

13. cnjackson Apr 21, 2020

Wow--that's a beautiful watch--the blue on white! Thank you for the suggestion.

But I think I'm leaning increasingly firmly in the direction of the blue-dialed 38 or 41 new AT.