Forums Latest Members

Applied Omega font on a 50s Seamaster - rare or redial?

1. Rudi99 Oct 8, 2020

Hi guys,

I was browsing through the marketplace where I bought my first two Omegas and the day before yesterday something caught my attention.

At first, I thought this might be a redial, since I had never ever before seen this kind of dial with a 2767 ref. number, and to be honest not ever in a Seamaster.

I am talking about this kind of applied "Omega", which I have seen until today only in Connies and Genéves but absolutely never on Seamasters. On Seamasters I have only seen printed.

Talking with another friend and enthusiast from the forum, I also realised one of the Ts from Automatic was also slightly curved. I stopped paying attention to the watch.

However, today I did see it on my instagram, and from a known source (Omega Enthusiast), not the same dial but yet another applied "Omega" on a Seamaster.

The rest of the watch seems to make sense since it harbours a cal 354, which does belong to the case and the ref. number 2767. The foto of the movement is terrible and I apologise. The case seems to be polished and soft, unfortunately. Crown also obviously not original but not the main topic of the discussion I am inviting people to through this post.

I saw plenty of other 2767 references searching through the forum and the case, even though polished, seems alright. But also on the forum I have not yet seen that kind of dial.

In my mind it does make sense for this Seamaster to have the applied Omega since it is a quite dressy watch, which both the Connies and Genéves also are. The more I look at it, the more I get convinced by it, also because of it's patina.

Another thing it bothers me is the fact that this is not gold capped, as one can see in the foto of the movement. As it is obviously not solid gold, it might be a very thin layer of just golden paint job, but also that I don't often see.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic, since it is becoming clear to me, it is either a redial or a rare dressy version of a 50s Seamaster, and the seller also claims that the watch is 36mm. Unbenannt22.jpg Unbenannt23.jpg Unbenannt24.jpg Unbenannt25.jpg Unbenannt26.jpg Unbenannt27.jpg Unbenannt28.jpg Unbenannt29.jpg Unbenannt30.jpg

Obs.: this watch does come with a strap and a bracelet. I don't think the strap is original though. The bracelet is just a regular one.

Best,

Rudi

river9 likes this.
  2. Rudi99 Oct 8, 2020

Another example with applied Omega on another dial. This is from Omega Enthusiast.

Screenshot_20201009_021834.jpg

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 8, 2020

At the least the dial has been cleaned, the rest of the watch looks franken and the brown strap/buckle is fake.

Mark020 and Rudi99 like this.
  4. Rudi99 Oct 8, 2020

Thanks for the input!

5. Edward53 Oct 9, 2020

This Seamaster 2767 has its original dial with its applied logo.

Seamaster 354.jpg

vlaspri, Dr No and Rudi99 like this.
  6. Rudi99 Oct 9, 2020

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing this pic. Would it be safe to assume there is only this one single kind of dial for this reference with the applied Omega font? It looks identical to that of Omega Enthusiast, with the obvious difference in aging/damage/patina.

7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 9, 2020

I have two Omega bumpers and love’ 'em. I spend a fair bit of time looking at others and suspect I am developing a weakness for them.

I've not yet come across any identical models to mine and have come to realise that there may well be many more different models in these 40s/50s watches than is the case with the 60s and post 60s Omega automatics.

Yours looks very nice.

Rudi99 likes this.
  8. Rudi99 Oct 9, 2020

Thank you very much for your comment. Interesting, I would also assume there are many many different kinds of Bumpers of that era... It is not my watch though, at least not yet. I am still considering to buy it and give it to my girlfriend as a gift. She really likes that kind of cream dial with golden furniture housed in a yellow goldish case and since she is not a serious collector / watch person, she would not mind the fact that it might be a franken.

Also the price is quite low, way below the 200€ mark, so I am considering pulling the trigger but have to think about it still. I am not sure how well franken ones tend to run or if they still can be easily serviced. I would like to see her having a good reliable time with the watch, franken or not.

Edit: would you mind sharing pictures of your bumpers? I got curious!

Edited Oct 9, 2020
  9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 9, 2020

Well, at that price don’t hesitate and, 'dibs'.

Rudi99 likes this.
  10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 9, 2020

As asked - here are my two

AD359036-2986-428F-B11B-8C00DCB7F9A6.jpeg 81BE144E-6AD2-4CC8-991B-3ABA70403B99.jpeg

river9 and Rudi99 like this.
  11. Rudi99 Oct 9, 2020

Lovely pieces. Thanks for sharing. I have seen you wearing them, I believe, in the WRUW thread. The first dial I have indeed never seen before either but the second one I did see once before on the hand of a friend and collector.

As to the purchase, I pulled the trigger a few hours ago. At 170€ (!) one can be very very forgiving! Let's see how the piece looks in the flesh but it will surely take a while until I have it in my hand.

Thanks again for the comments!

Spruce likes this.
  12. Rudi99 Nov 17, 2020

Just wanted to revive this and post an update. The watch is now with my folks but still not in my hands. Probably in January I will have it.

My brother however took a few (much better) fotos. It was a pleasant surprise and I can imagine live it will look even better.

IMG-20201113-WA0016.jpg IMG-20201113-WA0025.jpg IMG-20201113-WA0026.jpg IMG-20201113-WA0027.jpg IMG-20201113-WA0018.jpg IMG-20201113-WA0019.jpg

Spruce likes this.
  13. Rudi99 Jan 21, 2021

Update:

Now the watch is finally in my hands.

Maybe it is redundant to post more pictures, but these are better and one can see every detail now in the dial, which has a deterioration that is partially coloured and took some of the paint of Seamaster and of a part of the minute/second track.

IMG_20210121_123525.jpg IMG_20210121_123611.jpg IMG_20210121_123713.jpg

I gotta say it looks way better than I expected... I am liking this watch. The case looks not as soft as I thought it would and the stepped two-tone dial looks really nice and creates a deeper 3D effect than the other two watches I have with a stepped dial, as this also has a line that separates the two parts of it. I know some would consider the dial damaged, but I like it like that, it is kinda charming.

IMG_20210121_203253.jpg

The hour indexes are super crisp and reflect the light in a shiny manner, I found it to be lovely.

IMG_20210121_203017.jpg

I am not sure about this very round bezel. Maybe that was what @X350 XJR was thinking to be alien to the watch?

The crown is the one thing I am looking forward to replace, as it feels really small when I wind it. Visually also it is not as appealing as the clover one. Will try to source one.

I still didn't get the chance to open the case and see the movement, but the bumper feels nice, has a long power reserve and gains 20 seconds a day, which for an unknown watch does not feel too bad.

IMG_20210121_123930.jpg

Thanks guys, specially @Spruce for the support back then :thumbsup:

Best

Rudi

river9, vlaspri and Spruce like this.
  14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 21, 2021

I’m glad you’re pleased with it. If someone buys a new watch they know exactly what they’re getting but with a vintage watch, on line or auction or in a vintage shop, it’s a leap of faith with both fingers crossed.

It looks good and, as I frequently post, photos never accurately reflect the watch on your wrist.

I’m sure that a new or used crown will make a difference and I invariably like to choose my own strap and, often,
    a vintage or replica buckle.

Enjoy it.

Rudi99 likes this.
  15. SkunkPrince Jan 21, 2021

20 seconds fast is a minor tweak. Watch it for a couple weeks, give your watchmaker the data, and it can be adjusted pretty closely for wear.

Rudi99 likes this.
  16. Zapatta Jan 21, 2021

I remember seeing simmilar Seamaster here but in solid gold with straight M in automatic and applied logo. Someone said it was redial but few weeks ago saw another one in SG and now yours with that logo/font configuration. No doubts anymore.

Btw, nice watch!

Rudi99 likes this.