Forums Latest Members

Opinions on a 50s DJ black dial

1. kip595 Sep 19, 2021

Hi guys, this one pretty much speaks for itself - i' always thought it'd be nice to have an early black dial DJ, much as it would be an early black dial SM - what do you guys think of this one?

I suspect OEM replacement, but not certain?

[​IMG]
    upload_2021-9-19_13-57-50.png

Case is fairly worn as seen, but I don't mind some honest use on a mid-late 50s piece (given the older views on watch maintenance, I always take into account previous polishing as a matter of course for pretty much anything pre-80s, at least) - it's the dial I'm iffy on. :/

What say our vintage Rollie folk here?

Thanks and cheers all!

2. Davidt Sep 19, 2021

Looks redialled to me. Look at the quality of the print and the glaringly white lume dots.

3. kip595 Sep 19, 2021

That's my hunch - I think it might also be the crown size/placement that's bugging me, but I can't quite put my finger on it altogether.

The print does seem circumspect, but I have seen a few verifiably legitimate piece from the era with similar-quality for the print - just not on black.

4. Dan S Sep 19, 2021

Repainted dial and incorrect replacement hands IMO. I also have questions about the bezel, but would need to do more research. Do you know the reference and serial numbers?

watch3s, Dries and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  5. kip595 Sep 19, 2021

Unfortunately no; but after some more research on both the watch and seller I'm going to give this one a pass - they definitely seem to market to the 'looks OK even if it isn't completely original crowd' to put it politely.

watch3s and Dan S like this.
  6. vibe Sep 19, 2021

The hands are silver and the dial furniture is gold. There are no SS DJs with gold hands + dial furniture, those would belong on a two tone or gold case model. Bracelet is also later.

watch3s and Dries like this.
  7. Chris75 Sep 19, 2021

Dial isn't original and probably neither are hands and bezel (and anyway they aren't correct together).

watch3s likes this.
  8. watch3s Sep 23, 2021

Id pass on this, it would take some extra funds to set right even if it was at a spectacular price

9. johnireland Sep 23, 2021

If you didn't mind the flaws and just wanted a beater, and if the price was right, it could be worthwhile...and get correct hands down the way, gold dauphine or sword hands would be correct for the markers. Stick hands are often seen on older watches. The bright lum dots are the obvious give away that the dial has been worked on. As for the lettering, I've seen worse. The bezel was an alternate steel one to the gold fluted bezel more common on the DJ. But if you are looking for a great example of a DateJust, this isn't it.

10. southtexas Sep 24, 2021

Also, a 50’s dial would not have the Tritium designation at 6 o’clock.

11. kip595 Sep 25, 2021

Oh, just to clarify for anyone wondering once I saw the first few responses confirming some of my initial doubts and especially getting the pics blown up in hi-res on my actual computer screen, I gave this one a pass.

I actually chatted with the seller about it and they understood and even apologized they hadn't put 'refurbished' in the description - it was a referral 'friend of a friend' type situation - apparently/supposedly they thought I already knew.

Good to know my vintage radar hasn't completely lost touch since I've mostly stuck with new-ish stuff this last year or so, thanks guys!