Forums Latest Members

Anyone with an Omega parts account might be able to advise?

1. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advise, preferably from someone with a parts account or from someone who has done similar - but how likely is it I can purchase a TinTin dial? I've seen from various posts that these were produced in limited numbers, with another number of these destroyed, putting the number of completed watches somwhere in the region of 1500-2000 produced - again, I've heard of a coupe of clones being produced.

Now I get it's a polarising opinion, but I'm very keen on the TinTin, and feel it adds another interesting perspective to an already very nice looking watch - I didn't buy one at the time, as A) I might not like it in the flesh, and B) Prices were a bit higher than I could reaonably justify.

Now, I'm not looking in any way to create a clone, personally, I'm not particularly keen on the red caseback writing and I appreciate anyone with any knowledge on the subject would see this is not correct from the serial no - That and the fact this watch is going nowhere, this is a keeper, and I'm very happy with it. I just like the idea that in later years, should I wish - I can have the TinTin dial installed on my .005 Speedmaster.

Is this possible, or am I just being a bit daft??

2. bama2141 Feb 18, 2020

3. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Thanks, it's not something I'm desperate to do, and a very real likelihood I'd get flamed for suggesting such a thing!

I do appreciate it'd be better to buy an original, perhaps in the future! :thumbsup:

4. ras47 Feb 18, 2020

Why not hit up an Omega Boutique and ask them?

5. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Perhaps I will, just thought I'd check it out here beforehand, thought someone might have done similar, or at least bought a dial.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 18, 2020

I have an Omega parts account, but I have no idea how likely it is that you will be able to purchase a dial.

Part of having an account is agreeing to not sell parts - I'm not about to put my parts account at risk by selling someone a dial. No idea where the people at the web site above are getting their parts from, but someone is taking a risk with their parts account if they are selling to that site...

Omega is not going to sell someone walking in off the street a dial. Again most parts are not available to anyone who asks - you have to qualify to get an account as a watchmaker. The only things that Omega will typically sell to the average guy are things like straps and bracelets, so not anything related to the watch case or movement.

phcollard, Als 27 and amfalconer like this.
  7. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Thanks for weighing in on this Archer, I'm not asking anyone about purchasing this per se, only the likelihood of it being possible, or dials even being available - I'd assumed what wasn't made into watches was destroyed when the movie tie-in evaporated.

Still a newb on these matters, but learning more every day!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 18, 2020

No, when the movie tie-in went away, they simply used the dials in a model without the name. This is a legit model, and to support it well into the future, they have replacement dials available, just like they would for any new model.

amfalconer likes this.
  9. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Many thanks for the info :thumbsup: