Forums Latest Members
  1. Mrs Confused No longer clueless and confused courtesy of ΩF Sep 7, 2016

Hello there,

I hope it isn't too cheeky asking for help in this way, but I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction...

It's my husband's 40th birthday in a couple of years. I've had some tough times lately and wouldn't have got through it without his support, so I want to get him something significant for this milestone birthday.

I know that he is keen on the Omega Speedmaster, because a friend of his got one and he was very complimentary about it.

My idea is to get him one from 1978 (the year of his birth).

I've tried to do some online research, but I know next to nothing about watches, so it's all pretty bewildering...

So my questions are...

Is it possible to buy an old Speedmaster in this way?

Where would I look?

Is it advisable to buy an older watch? I suppose I'm wondering whether technology has moved on and the old ones are not so good (sorry if this is a particularly dumb question)

Sorry for the basic questions, but if someone would be able to give me a few basic pointers, then I would be enormously grateful.

Thank you in advance guys...

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2016

You've come to the Vintage Omega board, also known as Speedmaster central. I would look for a Speedmaster Professional, reference 145.022-78. The Speedy kings will be along to assist further. In the mean time, this is a very helpful resource. http://speedmaster101.com/

3. Davidt Sep 7, 2016

A well serviced vintage Speedmaster can be just as robust and reliable as a new one. A 1965 Speedmaster is my daily wearer.

There are a number of vintage dealers on the forum and a 78ish model is a perfect balance between being old enough to be vintage, but not too old to be a stupid price.

Keep an eye on the FS section here as well as ebay. Don't be afraid to post ebay links if you want an opinion.

4. Mrs Confused No longer clueless and confused courtesy of ΩF Sep 7, 2016

Thanks very much efauser for the speedy reply!

I'll take a look and try to get my head around it...

Thanks again.

5. Mrs Confused No longer clueless and confused courtesy of ΩF Sep 7, 2016

Thanks David, that's really helpful.

My budget is about £2k. Is that realistic?

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2016

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2016

2000 pounds is close. I highly recommend not buying on eBay unless you know what you're doing.

Taddyangle likes this.
  8. OmegaSean Sep 7, 2016

9. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

Mrs. Confused - welcome to Omega Forums (ΩF for short). Your husband is gonna like your present. :thumbsup:

Kismet, I tell you! What are the odds of the exact year of production the OP is asking for being for sale right here at the same time?

....actually, probably pretty good around these parts.

Edited Sep 7, 2016
    tyrantlizardrex, Foo2rama and efauser like this.
  10. Davidt Sep 7, 2016

It certainly was a year or two ago, and probably still is. I'd want to include a service in my budget to ensure reliable running for the next 5 years or so.

As you state £, I assume you're in the UK? Keep in mind you likely need to pay import duty if you buy from outside the EU, so an EU/UK purchase may be best.

If you have a decent amount of time, I'd strongly recommend buying from this forum, but with a bit of help, ebay can be a great source.

Www.speedmaster101.com is written by a member here and is a great source to get you started if you fancy a bit of research.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 7, 2016

12. Davidt Sep 7, 2016

Edited Sep 7, 2016
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. OmegaSean Sep 7, 2016

A cheeky offer might nearly meet your budget as it's been for sale since April :)

14. Mrs Confused No longer clueless and confused courtesy of ΩF Sep 7, 2016

Wow!!

Thank you all for the mega quick help.

I thought my post would be quietly ignored and I'd continue to scratch my head, but you've already found me one!

I'll have to have a think about whether or not I go for this one now or wait. As I said, his 40th is not 'til 2018, so I was just scoping it out initially. However, I don't know how often these come along, so maybe I should go for it and hide it away in the mean time...? Decisions, decisions.... Perhaps it is fate?

Thanks again... I wish I could do something to reciprocate, but I certainly can't help with any watch issues. If you need any advice on clothes, shoes, or underwear purchasing then do feel free to send your questions in my direction :)

15. Mrs Confused No longer clueless and confused courtesy of ΩF Sep 7, 2016

Thanks again...

I'll have a read of the articles and message the people you suggest.

I hadn't even considered servicing, so that's a really helpful bit of advice. 300-400 quid is pretty pricey... Would an older watch need servicing very often (I'm thinking along the lines of vintage cars... Particularly my brothers camper van that he pours more money into each year).

In answer to a question - Yes. I'm in the UK. In the South West.

I'm heading to bed now, but I'll come back tomorrow to read the articles and check in on any other good hints and tips you leave.

You guys rock - Thank you.

16. repoman Sep 7, 2016

Mrs Confused... kudo's to you for planning well in advance. That is something I never do :D You've already been given excellent advice, I can't add much to that, except I would echo that Darren (DLT222) and George (Kringkily) are two excellent resources to find Speedmaster's of any vintage or variety.

Consider this: buy it now, and give it to him now. I say this for a few reasons. First, 1978 and earlier Speedmasters are not going to get cheaper, in fact the opposite is likely to happen, they will get more expensive. We've already seen a very large price appreciation for Speedmasters in the last couple years. Second, life is short. I know you are thinking 40th bday, but how about doing it now, or at end of year Holiday time, or the very next birthday, that is several additional years of enjoyment he would get out of it. Guys tend not to care too much about their actual birthdays. Food for thought.

Good luck!

oddboy, Spacefruit and Nobel Prize like this.
  17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2016

Be aware of a couple of things: The market is strong and there's no telling where it will be in two years. Also, this watch has been serviced and is in the UK so no duty. Two very big potential savings.

18. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

I'll echo what's already been said: buy it now if you can, and stash it away if necessary. Speedmasters have been going up exponentially in price, and the next wave to become popular are these 70's models. In 2 years the price might be several hundred pounds more, outpacing your ability to stash away the funds to purchase one. The fact that it's in the UK already is icing on the VAT cake.

19. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2016

Oh, and one other thing - make sure you put "www.omegaforums.net" in the card and have him join. ;)

oddboy, ahartfie, gemini4 and 3 others like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 7, 2016

Figure a service every 5 years. It's not like something will break on a regular basis like a vintage car as long as you start with a good example. I also purchased my 40th B day present of a 1976 Speedmaster from a member of this forum and I could not be happier.
    They are very robust watches and can be worn in various situations and with a few straps it would be a somewhat rare occasion that you could not wear the watch. They work from casual to with a suit. Perhaps not with a tux though. ;)
    image.jpeg