Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 1, 2020

Antiquorum is offering a declared Ultraman here.
    Clearly described in the Auctioneers description as a 145.012 Ultraman.

UM AQ Dec 2020.JPG

I do not know where to begin - so lets first start with the price which even if this watch didn't have issues, is an opening bid of $44,500. This is an eye watering amount bearing in mind there is a premium to be added of 25%.

In addition, buyer beware! They are offering about as much protection to the buyer as a Craigslist deal in a McDonald's car park - I quote from the listing:

Important notice – Special conditions
    The lots are sold “as is”, described to the best of our knowledge and cannot be returned. Once the online bid is placed by the bidder, it cannot be cancelled

Now I could go through it, but it might be more fun to hear what the community thinks.

Here are some more photos from the listing for posterity

UM AQ Dec 2020side.JPG UM AQ Dec 2020Ext.JPG

Remember, this is being offered by a large Geneva based Auction house as an Ultraman for an opening bid of $55,625 with NO RETURNS FOR ANY REASON.

Jorisvp, shishy, zoohannover and 5 others like this.
  2. Capt Cave Man Dec 1, 2020

A starter for 10... DNN!?

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Om3ga321 Dec 1, 2020

The 105.012 service pushers washed out indexes,no mention of the orange hand on the E of A and the above mentioned DNN.

befobe likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 1, 2020

Ultraman ... ::yawn:: ... next!

Lonestar, Dan S, zoohannover and 2 others like this.
  5. michael e Still learning. Dec 1, 2020

Wrong serial range, no mention of orange hand on the archive, but most of all the whole scenario is pretty much insulting the intelligence of the Antiquorum bidders.
    This is the type of watch that gets the Anti-Ultraman squad excited. :D

Edited Dec 1, 2020
  6. befobe Dec 1, 2020

What a bad image for this well known auction house... Incredible... Where are the "experts" who are usually at work in this kind of serious house... Shame
    Seriously, who will trust them now?

Thrasher36 likes this.
  7. Lucasssssss Dec 1, 2020

I wonder how the return policy sits with the Distance Selling Regulations in the EU.

They usually give the buyers a cooling off period, as well as the right to return, except if it is in a "Public Auction":

"A public auction implies that traders and consumers attend or are given the possibility to attend the auction in person. The goods or services are offered by the trader to the consumer through a bidding procedure authorised by law in some Member States, to offer goods or services at public sale. The successful bidder is bound to purchase the goods or services. The use of online platforms for auction purposes which are at the disposal of consumers and traders should not be considered as a public auction within the meaning of this Directive."

With COVID I don't think they allow viewings, I think that legally you can still return the watch, notwithstanding the conditions (don't rely on this though).

Also, and more importantly, it makes Antiquorum look even more like shady wheeler dealers, which is what I understand to be the reason they are no longer considered to be a premium auction house, like they were in the 90s.

Dogmann and jeppehh like this.
  8. ndgal Dec 1, 2020

26.540.XXX serial... OK! :thumbsup:

Spacefruit and kov like this.
  9. pdxleaf ... Dec 1, 2020

Hate to be a hater but I don't get the whole "it's got an orange hand" thing. Do love the 321 and 145.012 though, of course not for 60k.

Please excuse my trollish behavior. It's a worthy exercise.

s-l400.jpg

10. Fatcat Dec 1, 2020

Will call Antiquorum, next auction will ask to sell my mega rare Pre-Ultraman :)))) , no return allowed, no questions accepted.

F39D24E9-D5DF-40B3-8C75-4982C1417425.jpeg
  11. ConElPueblo Dec 2, 2020

The auction house is in Switzerland which isn't in the EU. I don't know if CH have a similar law.

AJF, Lonestar, Mark020 and 3 others like this.
  12. Fatcat Dec 2, 2020

Not this kind of regulations , for that reason I writes in that way , pay and cry , generally if someone goes to court the fault is on our side not having done your home work before buying

13. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Dec 2, 2020

Back to the watch itself; apart from the already called out DNN bezel and lume loss, the crown resembles a Mark II’s...

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 2, 2020

I believe the OP was leader of said squad until he finally got his ultraman :D

Anyone ever try and watch an episode?

michael e likes this.
  15. Marsimaxam Dec 2, 2020

Three letter reply...

WTF

kov likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 2, 2020

I am scratching my head. How can they sell it as an Ultraman when the extract shows it is not? What legal recourse would you have here I wonder. It is a form of deception surely.

Hardly one to excite the haters, it’s not remotely genuine, I’ll save my scorn for the real thing! ;)

Edited Dec 2, 2020
  17. michael e Still learning. Dec 2, 2020

:D I don’t have one any longer, sold it a while back but would have it back in a breath and the buyer knows that :thumbsup:

eugeneandresson likes this.
  18. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 2, 2020

Maybe that's just a marketing move to have us nerds talking about their upcoming auction :whistling:

19. simonsays Dec 2, 2020

Agree it's junk, the price fantastical.

But as the information on hands is not in the archive, you could still request an 'Ultraman' extract and expect to receive one(it being out of known serial range arguable point, as that range is only based on observed watches). The reliance on extracts to back up what can be seen with the naked eye is a joke.

Lonestar likes this.
  20. michael e Still learning. Dec 2, 2020

But they got the archive and it still didn’t say Ultraman? Is that one of the newer archives too?