Forums Latest Members

Another vintage Seamaster - any thoughts on this one?

1. MikeZ Dec 19, 2019

Hello all...

I've got this vintage Seamaster that was handed down to me quite some time ago from my late grandfather. I'm guessing the watch and I are roughly the same age, circa mid-1960s. From what I understand, it's lived most of its life in a drawer. It appears to be in pretty good condition, and keeps decent time (loses maybe 10-15 seconds a day).

I don't believe it's been serviced in quite some time - if ever. I've only used it on very rare occasions, when I want to look classy. I have no idea whether any significant parts have been replaced. I have the Omega band and buckle that it had when I got it, but I swapped it out for a new one. Didn't want to put too much wear on the old one (which may or may not be original?).

Any thoughts on what I've got here, age, potential value? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike

1 -dial.jpg 2 -back.jpg 3 - crown.jpg 4 - side.jpg 5 - band.jpg
  2. Dr No Dec 19, 2019

Sensible to replace the strap and buckle for daily wear - good call. Have the movement serviced by an independent watchmaker sooner rather than later, and insist that nothing be done to the case and dial. You'll be able to hand it down to your grandchildren with timely maintenance.

Secondary market value would be < / ~ $1K US. This reference and configuration aren't sought after, but it's a very nice example, and the double-signature enhances its value.

Cordially,

Art

Vitezi likes this.
  3. Walrus Dec 19, 2019

It’s a beautiful thing. A family passed on heirloom my favorite threads. Get a decent service, well good service and wear it for the next generation.

4. Stosh Dec 19, 2019

Very nice watch. I have two similar to yours. A caliber 563 and a 560. Classy watches that I wear often. Enjoy it!