Another Rolex theft in London

Lighten up dude. The point I was trying to make is: don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because someone is short doesn't mean they can't do you some damage. Defend yourself by all means if you're feeling confident. That's your right. But only you can judge the risks at the time.
I mean....does it really look like I'm that serious here?

...I have eleven likes in it and I am not about to have someone get those tossed into the bin :D:D

That’s because no unlike button here :rolleyes:

So, as having been a victim of theft in the past and what I had to go through, nowadays do the police and Rolex for example do anything when you give them your serial number?

My understanding from Rolex is if the watch ever gets service through them with the matching serial number they hold it for the owner, but has that ever happened to anyone here??? Just curious.

A good friend had his Rolex Sky-Dweller stolen at knife point in the same area, a couple of weeks ago. Very similar circumstances-two masked men with large Rambo knives. He saw the knife and handed it over. A wise move.

Police attended within a few minutes, and my friend said he was very impressed with their response and how they are dealing with it. He was scratched by one of the suspects, so they swabbed him for DNA.

I doubt he will ever see his watch again, but at least he is safe. A great shame that this is now a risk in most cities.

I’m off to Rome in a couple of weeks. I’m leaving the nice ones at home and taking a battered G shock!

We all just need to be aware and be a bit lucky. Also it pays not to be too dressy and ostentatious. I also always walk at a good pace and never look lost (even when I am :0). Touch wood I have moved around a lot a city’s on foot and always got away with it so far. I do recall a late night in central Aberdeen. I became aware of two guys tracking / following me. I was actually approaching a hire car but I knew stopping and fumbling with keys would trigger their move and and let them close the gap and they would also probably like a car thrown into the deal. I Ignored the car and turned up a side street letting them have extra time to plan an attack off the main road, I then turned again and just out of sight ran like f-ck / circled back and got away in the car. I still think if I had tried to get in the car first time they would have done me over and taken the lot. Until I started running I don’t think they knew I had clocked them.

What ? Me worry?

mpfwd.genius.com

“Bad sneakers and a Piña Colada, my friend
Stompin' on the avenue by Radio City with a
new Rolex and a large sum of money to spend

I’ve always heard to never wear Rolex traveling or in an airport, people always on the prowl.

This conversation leaves me wondering, "why would anyone spend the thousands (tens of thousands) of dollars that Rolex watches are commanding for a piece they can't even wear without fear of being mugged over it? They're overvalued mass produced watches anyway, but if they also come with a giant target affixed to your back, I question it. You could wear an A Lange & Soehne or a VC and likely not get bothered, even though the watches are objectively far superior pieces.

This conversation leaves me wondering, "why would anyone spend the thousands (tens of thousands) of dollars that Rolex watches are commanding for a piece they can't even wear without fear of being mugged over it? They're overvalued mass produced watches anyway, but if they also come with a giant target affixed to your back, I question it. You could wear an A Lange & Soehne or a VC and likely not get bothered, even though the watches are objectively far superior pieces.

I don't see the problem.

A Rolex can nearly always safely be worn at home.

If you were to wear it out, it may need an expensive service.

I've heard that worn out Rolexes can be expensive to repair. ;)

I’m off to Rome in a couple of weeks. I’m leaving the nice ones at home and taking a battered G shock!
Good idea

I remember sitting on the Spanish Steps, in high season, looking down onto the Piazza di Spagna, watching the pickpockets weave in and out of the bustling throngs, casually dipping their hands into people’s bags.

Also, be cautious if you use the Stazione Termini, and are approached by smartly dressed, officious looking individuals. They’ll ask if you require any help, and being a visitor, that may be the case. They’ll ask for payment in lieu of your gratitude, and if you pull out your wallet for a euro, someone else will come along and make off with your wallet. It’s a common scenario.

Also be mindful if you take a taxi anywhere. Only use the city registered vehicles.

Just use a bit of common sense, and you’ll find it to be one of the most vibrant, and beautiful cities.

I sometimes think there’s a curious correlation between:

(1) the folks who lament how the younger generation is soft, everyone gets a participation trophy, etc.; and

(2) the folks who believe that as soon as one walks out their front door, they’ll get beaten, shark bit, pick-pocketed, and AIDS, all before they make the curb.

Good idea

I remember sitting on the Spanish Steps, in high season, looking down onto the Piazza di Spagna, watching the pickpockets weave in and out of the bustling throngs, casually dipping their hands into people’s bags.

Also, be cautious if you use the Stazione Termini, and are approached by smartly dressed, officious looking individuals. They’ll ask if you require any help, and being a visitor, that may be the case. They’ll ask for payment in lieu of your gratitude, and if you pull out your wallet for a euro, someone else will come along and make off with your wallet. It’s a common scenario.

Also be mindful if you take a taxi anywhere. Only use the city registered vehicles.

Just use a bit of common sense, and you’ll find it to be one of the most vibrant, and beautiful cities.

Rome, hmm.

Mixed feelings after visiting, in part stunning in others pretty horrible.

Beggars and street sellers were a nightmare, constantly bugging you if you stopped for a moment they were on you like a pack of hounds.

But the architecture and the food, wow just wow. I could have spent days in the ruins of Ancient Rome, it was just fascinating to see just how advanced the Romans were and how much standards dropped after the empire collapsed.

A fascinating city for sure but with some unpleasant baggage.

Oh, nearly forgot, the hidden splendour that are the churches, doors into another world.

I sometimes think there’s a curious correlation between:

(1) the folks who lament how the younger generation is soft, everyone gets a participation trophy, etc.; and

(2) the folks who believe that as soon as one walks out their front door, they’ll get beaten, shark bit, pick-pocketed, and AIDS, all before they make the curb.

Rome, hmm.

Mixed feelings after visiting, in part stunning in others pretty horrible.

Beggars and street sellers were a nightmare, constantly bugging you if you stopped for a moment they were on you like a pack of hounds.

But the architecture and the food, wow just wow. I could have spent days in the ruins of Ancient Rome, it was just fascinating to see just how advanced the Romans were and how much standards dropped after the empire collapsed.

A fascinating city for sure but with some unpleasant baggage.

Oh, nearly forgot, the hidden splendour that are the churches, doors into another world.
Not forgetting the frenetic standard of driving.

Spend a few days in Rome, and one becomes highly proficient in the both the high jump, and the long jump ;)

2006 a jewellery store wouldn’t let me in because I didn’t look the goods. Don’t think they liked my rugby tracksuit pants

Bought a Tag Monaco a few towns away and dropped back to show them the bag. Wrote to the owner who was a member of the the state rugby club I played for which was interesting…..

So basically you pulled a “Pretty Woman”. Bet you looked as chic as Julia Roberts :D:D
4EC581BA-53E0-42C2-8F0E-AAC821DF5D55.gif

So basically you pulled a “Pretty Woman”. Bet you looked as chic as Julia Roberts :D:D
4EC581BA-53E0-42C2-8F0E-AAC821DF5D55.gif

More of a

42C192B0-D8E3-40B4-864E-7EE8BCF553F2.gif

I honestly hate wearing my watches around the house, it’s where i get my most scratches from, from getting them stuck with dryer door or sometimes getting the washer door slammed on top by accident, to washing dishes and getting it stuck with the plates and pans and making the bed against a wall, i have to legit take it off every time just because. My kids don’t help either, my 1 year old is obsessed with trying to scratch the watch and grab it haha, it’s never ending.