Another Rolex theft in London

Good idea

I remember sitting on the Spanish Steps, in high season, looking down onto the Piazza di Spagna, watching the pickpockets weave in and out of the bustling throngs, casually dipping their hands into people’s bags.

Also, be cautious if you use the Stazione Termini, and are approached by smartly dressed, officious looking individuals. They’ll ask if you require any help, and being a visitor, that may be the case. They’ll ask for payment in lieu of your gratitude, and if you pull out your wallet for a euro, someone else will come along and make off with your wallet. It’s a common scenario.

Also be mindful if you take a taxi anywhere. Only use the city registered vehicles.

Just use a bit of common sense, and you’ll find it to be one of the most vibrant, and beautiful cities.
Thanks for the useful tips @Charlemagne1333. I’m used to big cities, having spent my life living in London, so like to think I am relatively streetwise, but I’ll be sure to take on board what you have said!

I’ve always heard to never wear Rolex traveling or in an airport, people always on the prowl.

Fuck me: that’s the ONLY time I wear my Sky-Dweller

Puts a damper on any GMT, too…

In fairness (taken from the BBC today) the UK Police can be quick off the mark....

Newcastle takeover: Police investigate Crystal Palace fans' banner criticising Saudi Arabian deal
The banner had a checklist with alleged offences by the Saudi Arabia regime.

Croydon Metropolitan Police have released a statement on Twitter, which says: "On Saturday 23 October police received a report of an offensive banner displayed by Crystal Palace fans.

"Officers are assessing the information and carrying out enquiries. Any allegations of racist abuse will be taken very seriously."

Proud and Palace, the club's official lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender supporters group, also protested on Saturday, posting a video on their Twitter account.

For completeness, the ‘offending’ article.
(Courtesy of Reuters)
D3889206-CAB5-4745-AF02-E958F044FD7D.jpeg
I see no racism there.
(And for the record, cut me and I bleed black and white)

For completeness, the ‘offending’ article.
(Courtesy of Reuters)
D3889206-CAB5-4745-AF02-E958F044FD7D.jpeg
I see no racism there.
(And for the record, cut me and I bleed black and white)

It's certainly political against the Saudi rulers... wouldn't really be surprising if that was the real reason behind the complaint.

Mind you, it's still a bit of a stretch to shoehorn that into this thread

Well the BBC note it is only ‘alleged’ offences by the Saudi regime but the Police have photo evidence and allegations against the fan... so I hope they like porridge.
I am sure academics will argue over the nuances of the poster but I question why the Police would tweet something like that so quickly and why the BBC would run a story. Wasting everyone’s time (I am guilty as charged of that now as well). For this thread it is just an example of how things move away from Policing standard crimes.

It's certainly political against the Saudi rulers... wouldn't really be surprising if that was the real reason behind the complaint.

Mind you, it's still a bit of a stretch to shoehorn that into this thread

yes, definitely wayward thread drift but I could see where @Omegafanman was going regarding police (in) action ( and I too think it is likely to be political - bearing in mind MBS called Johnson previously to ask him to sort out the FA)

Given the original hoo-har about the PIF purchase, the authorities appear to be now treading on egg-shells.
There was a complaint about supporters wearing Arabic headdresses - in case it caused offence. (Madness!)

End of thread drift - back to muggings and robbery…...

End of thread drift - back to muggings and robbery…...[/QUOTE]

Fully agree... and with tight budgets / thin resources we need the Police to do that as well ;0)

I question why the Police would tweet something like that so quickly and why the BBC would run a story. .

Don't underestimate the extent to which MP's or Govt representatives apply pressure to either senior BBC people or Police Commissioners.

Either way, it looks like the original topic of this thread has run out of steam... ::popcorn::

When I was last in London for holiday a few years back, I walked around alone late at night wearing my Omega and the last thing on my mind was getting robbed for my watch. Of course at the time, there weren't any news of Rolex thefts. Now I'm not so sure anymore if I'd wear my Omega if I visit London again. Even though the thefts seems more targeted on Rolex wearers, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk....hmmmm

You wore a sub in public, are you insane? :eek:
I actually wore a Daytona outside of my home last week. But I have an air horn strapped to my belt in case I catch someone looking at my wrist. I can sound the alarm!

I actually wore a Daytona outside of my home last week. But I have an air horn strapped to my belt in case I catch someone looking at my wrist. I can sound the alarm!

upload_2021-10-24_9-43-52.gif

Living on the edge!
I bet you were wearing open toed sandals on a city street too- you know how to live dangerously, man!

I bet you were wearing open toed sandals on a city street too- you know how to live dangerously, man!

He's from Amsterdam so there were likely white socks involved too.:whistling:

UK stories like this (BBC today) continue to make me question the focus for modern UK policing. Not good when the priest loses faith in you. He had a fractured eye socket and it looks like there was enough information for an easy follow up.

I am off to Bristol today but suspect my 1861 will be safe :0)
Slight aside but he should have a contract making the party organisers responsible / leave it open for a civil case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-59041075

A parish priest has lost faith in the police who he said failed to investigate when he was injured in a violent assault on church grounds.

Fr Mason said on the night of the attack the church hall had been rented for a party with the agreement that it would end at 22:00 BST.

When loud music could still be heard more than an hour later, he went to the hall to ask them to end the party.

"Four blokes bundled me outside and one of them beat me up, so I was lying on the grass covered in blood," he said.

While initially helpful, Avon and Somerset Police "did nothing" to investigate the case, he said.
Edited:

UK stories like this (BBC today) continue to make me question the focus for modern UK policing. Not good when the priest loses faith in you. He had a fractured eye socket and it looks like there was enough information for an easy follow up.

I am off to Bristol today but suspect my 1861 will be safe :0)
Slight aside but he should have a contract making the party organisers responsible / leave it open for a civil case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-59041075

A parish priest has lost faith in the police who he said failed to investigate when he was injured in a violent assault on church grounds.

Fr Mason said on the night of the attack the church hall had been rented for a party with the agreement that it would end at 22:00 BST.

When loud music could still be heard more than an hour later, he went to the hall to ask them to end the party.

"Four blokes bundled me outside and one of them beat me up, so I was lying on the grass covered in blood," he said.

While initially helpful, Avon and Somerset Police "did nothing" to investigate the case, he said.

I thought this was a thread about the theft of Rolex watches in London not a thread to report crimes where Police may or may not have taken action?

Can we get this thread back on track please.

Theft of watches, cricket players beating the snot out of people.

What have the streets of London turned to.....