Another piece in my collection: a rare black waffle dial from an early Constellation model

Dear OmegaForum Members,

Hope all is well!

In this thread, I would like to specifically focus on the reference 2648. Based on my research and discussions with experts in these forums, this reference was produced for approximately two years, with movement numbers ranging from approximately 12,1xx,xxx to 13,9xx,xxx.
However, I have come across at least 3-4 examples featuring ‘applied OMEGA’ text (where the norm is printed OMEGA) with movement numbers as high as 14.7 million. One way to confirm this is by requesting an ‘Extract from the Archives’ from Omega, though it is currently unavailable. The earlier versions of reference 2648 are fitted with caliber 352, while later versions are equipped with caliber 354.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, one of the ultimate goals for Omega collectors is to acquire an ‘Omega Constellation with an original black waffle dial and arrowhead markers’. Finding such an original black waffle dial in a 1950s Omega Constellation is a significant challenge, especially for the earliest Constellation model, reference 2648. As we know, the black dial during that period needed to be requested specifically.

Once again, I consider myself very fortunate.

I have managed to find a reference 2648 with a black waffle dial in an all-steel case, complete with arrowhead hour markers. The movement number is 13,737,xxx, paired with caliber 354, dating the watch to 1954.

Please note that the black dial is highly glossy, making it difficult to capture details without the reflection of light.

IMG_4749.webp IMG_4751.webp IMG_4705.webp IMG_1676.webp

The ‘thin decagonal’ crown is correct and original for reference 2648, in contrast to the ‘thicker’ version found on later models from the 1950s, such as 2652, 2782, 2887, 2852, 2954, and others.

IMG_4707.webp

Please take note of how glossy the dial is.

IMG_4785.webp

Here are some close-up images of the fonts.

IMG_4783.webp IMG_4784.webp IMG_4756.webp IMG_4761.webp

A very close-up shot of one of the beautiful arrowhead markers:

IMG_4764.webp

Additionally, to compare the sizes between reference 2648 (black dial) and reference 2652, I first drew a yellow line along the bottom of each dial. I then drew perpendicular lines from the yellow line to the top of each dial (using the green line for reference 2648). Please note that the black dial is approximately 2 mm larger.

IMG_1513.webp

I found only one identical example to my watch, with an absolutely stunning dial. Although this watch came with a warranty card, as I mentioned earlier and confirmed by experts on this forum, the movement number (14,768,xxx) may be too high for reference 2648.
One possible explanation is that the movement may have been swapped from another reference 2652 to enhance the watch’s value, as both use the caliber 354. It would be relatively easy to take the original case and black waffle dial of reference 2648 and replace the movement with one from a reference 2652 to match the paperwork.

Here is the link to the identical watch:
https://www.longitudi.fi/en/product/omega-constellation-chronometer-pie-pan-from-1953

IMG_1699.webp IMG_1753.webp

Furthermore, my research uncovered another example with an 18k yellow gold case from Desmond’s Blog. Unfortunately, only one picture was available, as the link is now broken: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-rarity-black-dialled-omega.html?m=1

IMG_1698.webp

I also found this reference 2648 with a black waffle dial, but without the arrowhead markers: https://timeanagram.com/en/products/42579

IMG_1697.webp

Please compare the differences in the printed color between the yellow gold and steel cases, while noting the similarities in the font pattern.

IMG_1696.webp

Finally, here is a wrist shot of my watch.

IMG_4716.webp IMG_1629.webp

Once again, I apologize for the abundance of pictures. Capturing images of the black dial has proven quite challenging.

Thank you all for your comments. If anyone has a watch with a black waffle dial and arrowhead markers that I have missed, please feel free to share.
Additionally, what is the opinion regarding the potential highest movement number for reference 2648?

Best regards,
Teerapat

Even though it does not have arrowhead markers, I sincerely apologize for overlooking this other extraordinary ‘18k black waffle dial’ owned by @MSNWatch.😀

IMG_1778.webp

OMG Teerapat, another incredible find, congratulations and thanks for the write-up and the pictures. Even though it's a very long shot, I call DIBS!

Absolutely gorgeous. The only black waffle dial that I can add to the discussion is my steel cased reference 2887. Not an arrowhead, but the crosshair dial has aged from black to a bit chocolate and the hands and markers are rose gold.
1728307730574.webp
1728307763553.webp

Thank you, @iamvr, for your comment. 😀
Very nice, @gbesq. The uncommon dial in the uncommon reference.😍

Nice write up on as you said an uncommon dial in an uncommon reference. 2648 is almost effectively like a prototyping period for the Constellation line. I have 10 2648s in my collection and they have 9 different dial styles. Including one in a 14k rose gold case which I don't recall seeing in any other vintage constellation watch. It also goes without saying that several of these dial designs never made it to the subsequent constellation model lines.

Thanks a lot, @MSNWatch . Your support in this discussion is greatly appreciated.

Your collection (esp. for the reference 2846) is outstanding, not overstated—perhaps the best in the world (or planet).😁

A lovely example of the 2648 teerapat
-and another great right-up on this reference.
👍

Interesting to note the similarity of the original gold cased 2648s to the Centenary, whereas your SS version has more robust faceted lyre lugs
(BTW the link to Desmond's essay on a gold 2648 does still work)

Very nice! Send it over to me and I'll make a nice Ying-Yang picture ( as you know my white one is allergic to international travel 😉 )

20160614_224841.webp

Very nice! Send it over to me and I'll make a nice Ying-Yang picture ( as you know my white one is allergic to international travel 😉 )

20160614_224841.webp

Haha @cristos71 , maybe my white one needs the big brother of the ref. 2648. 😁

IMG_0463.webp

For the allergy issue, no worries.
I will consult an expert in desensitization therapy for allergic reactions.😅

@Peemacgee. Many thanks for your assistance, as always.🙏
Edited: