Another geneve sorry guys

Then listen to what people are telling you and stop chasing the wrong watches. How is an overpriced 1970s Geneve going to scratch an itch for a 1950s piece? When you have the answers you'll be able to ignore all you like.

Have a nice day.
I’m not an omega expert obviously, how am I meant to know what watches to look for at the right price with no prior knowledge. Not easy when stuck up people like you make it harder to ask for help

I can see I have rubbed you up the wrong way. Not a single person on this forum hasn't bought something early on they regret so my comment wasn't suggesting you were any different to any of us. I think you are going about this wrong though, if you actually asked for ideas for an affordable 50s or 50s look Omega I think you would get more productive responses. Picking watches off ebay isn't the best way to get help unless you state your goals straight away since what makes sense to you doesn't to us and vice versa. I haven't seen the film, but for me if I wanted the 50s look I'd either get the Geneve 2903 mentioned above or maybe a 2846 fat lug auto.

Be aware that film prop people dont play fair though. To give you an example, we get a lot of people showing black Seamaster DeVilles because they want the MadMen look. 99% of the time they are redials. It gets tiring.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

IMG_0450.jpg
Edited:

I can see I have rubbed you up the wrong way. Not a single person on this forum hasn't bought something early on they regret so my comment wasn't suggesting you were any different to any of us. I think you are going about this wrong though, if you actually asked for ideas for an affordable 50s or 50s look Omega I think you would get more productive responses. Picking watches off ebay isn't the best way to get help unless you state your goals straight away since what makes sense to you doesn't to us and vice versa. I haven't seen the film, but for me if I wanted the 50s look I'd either get the Geneve 2903 mentioned above or maybe a 2846 fat lug bumper.

Happier?
Yes something along those lines
Thank you that’s a much nicer response than some of your previous ones. I’ll take your advice in the unlikely scenario that I post again.
Edited:

I think everyone is basically saying to the OP to slow down. A lot. My recommendations are that he look at all the nice watches that experienced people post here. Ask about them and what a particular watch in that condition might be worth. Even do online searches giving that watch's specific model and see what comes up. Go into brick and mortar vintage watch stores and just look, ask about them (and if the seller doesn't know, run) and try them on. It might even mean that instead of looking for a watch that you can afford today, you decide to save for a better watch in the future. Do some research on the different models and eras of Omega...learning all that stuff is fun, and part of the hunt for a watch you will truly be passionate about owning. Have fun.

Yes something along those lines
Thank you that’s a much nicer response than some of your previous ones. I’ll take your advice in the unlikely scenario that I post again.

Stick around, it's actually a really helpful and friendly forum here (including Padders who's a pleasant, knowledgeable and interesting fellow) but like alot of forums answers can seem a bit blunt with certain types of post which tend to be asked by new members before they then disappear. You won't find a better bunch of genuine enthusiast's than here.

Nothing wrong with chasing a watch from a movie you like, at least you know what sort of thing you're looking for now.

Good luck with the search, hopefully you'll take your time and end up with a good one.

Oh and bookmark this site, very useful reference to help confirming age and correctness of certain models. http://www.old-omegas.com/

@tobyf27

As some who considers himself just emerging from watch collecting pre-school please let me offer you a few thoughts.

Geneve’s are mostly of little interest to collectors. They are mostly seen as uninspiring, unremarkable entry level dress watches. You’re not going to draw a lot of enthusiastic reactions from people here when you post pictures of them and ask if they’re a good deal. Most people here would probably not consider buying one at any price but certainly anything over £300 for one in decent condition will be sniffed at as overpriced. (Clearly there are some models, early ones, where there are exceptions to this rule, but that does not include the watches you have shown).

Collectors often don’t have a budget and try to get any good deal watch for that amount. They know what they want and they wait until they see it at the price that’s right for them. That’s why you’re being encouraged to research more, to identify maybe two or three specific watches you want (Geneve is a collection of many watches), and then find a good example of one of them.

Gold plated dress watches are about the least desirable style of watch to collectors so again, you’re not going to get much interest when you post overpriced examples of them.

eBay is a very difficult place to buy well, certainly for collectors. Many of the watches on sale there don’t meet the condition quality that collectors look for, or else they are sold by greedy / hopeful people (some are scamsters) are are bought by naiave newbies. In the sea of all those there are few opportunities for a bargain. You really need to know what you’re looking for and spend a lot of time dangling you rod in the water before you catch anything. To give you an idea, and I have no idea if I’m typical of people here, I usually have four or five watches on “eBay watch” at any given time, and end up snagging 2 or 3 a year, and I’m not particularly discerning as a collector - I’ll buy almost anything that takes my fancy.

I understand you’re working to a budget and Geneve’s fit the bill, but what I believe is frustrating some of the correspondents here is that you are showing underwhelming watches being offered by dealers at prices for which, with patience and spreading your net wider, you might in time get a more substantial, interesting piece. They can’t help you if you’re in a hurry and keep posting low end overpriced watches and they’re going to lose interest in trying to.

As a resident of Brexit Britain as I believe you are, you need to factor in the extra cost of importing a watch to the U.K. from anywhere in the world.

One thing that frustrates collectors is when people overpay for watches because it puts upward pressure on prices and while that might increase the value of their collection, they typically aren’t thinking about selling - they’re thinking about buying - so they don’t like it!

Finally, we’ve pretty much all paid noob tax. You, wisely, discovered this place before paying it, unlike me. Make the most of that wisdom. Stick around, learn, and perhaps buy your watch from a member here where you stand much less chance of being screwed.

Geneve’s are mostly of little interest to collectors. They are mostly seen as uninspiring, unremarkable entry level dress watches...........

I say! How Dare You Sir, How dare You! They are no less collectable than other Omegas.

GX6.JPG

GX2.png

Oh, hang on, you may be right!
If everyone thinks Genevès are crap, then pressure will be off as they seek Seamasters.

dibs bottom right

The driver or the old clunker in the round picture?

I say! How Dare You Sir, How dare You! They are no less collectable than other Omegas.

GX6.JPG

GX2.png

Oh, hang on, you may be right!
If everyone thinks Genevès are crap, then pressure will be off as they seek Seamasters.
I did say "Mostly". In every collecting fraternity there are a few nutjobs!

The driver or the old clunker in the round picture?
Clunker! clunker!

Clunker! clunker!

OK, I'll put you in the DIBS field. Have to check to see if you're the first one though.

Alot if people are saying that the prices of these Geneves are far too high, but that seems to be the average price of them nowadays from what I’ve seen on the market. A possible increase recently

If anything, prices are on a decline. You just need to learn how to hunt instead of looking at mediocre watches with silly asking prices. Slow down. Be patient. Learn.

Meh. Entry level Omega from when the quality was starting to tail off.

Certainly not worth close to £500 of my money.

Is there a reason you’re so set on a Geneve over a Seamaster or Constellation?
You mention the quality started to tail off - at what point was this, and when did it start to improve again? I’m assuming it was just in terms of the quality of materials used/movements?

OK, I'll put you in the DIBS field. Have to check to see if you're the first one though.
I'm patient, I'll join the queue.
You mention the quality started to tail off - at what point was this, and when did it start to improve again? I’m assuming it was just in terms of the quality of materials used/movements?
The Omega factory in Geneva closed circa 1966. Prior to that the Geneve name stood for quality and was second only to Constellation in the Omega hierarchy. Post that the name was just used as a branding exercise and was used on some pretty unexceptional pieces. There are many examples of the same watch being marked with several sub brands in fact, Seamaster, Geneve, DeVille etc. Things never really did improve since the Geneve handle died quietly during the quartz crisis sometime around 1980. There were some interesting nice Geneve marked pieces made right up until the mid 1970s, but there was also increasingly some dross.

I realise you were probably asking about Onega as a whole rather specifically the Geneve line. The dark days could be roughly considered 1972-1990. but there are exceptions and there were some very good pieces produced in that era too. Some in fact never changed. I use the phase out of the 3 digit automatic movements such as the 552 as my early cut off. My upper limit is more arbitrary and more open to debate. If you are a Pre-Bond fan you could pick 1988 for instance as when things started to improve.
Edited:

@tobyf27 There's already a pretty extensive thread on OF about the la la land Omega. Being a watch nerd is nothing to be embarrassed about!
https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-in-la-la-land.51031/

Newer Geneves are a good entry-level watch. @dsio et al. are doing some amazing work in the pinned 'recommended on ebay' thread, they have recommended multiple Geneves and De Villes in the past couple of weeks, which have sold for way less than what you've budgeted for.

I think a few people may have gotten a little upset with the number of threads you've opened within a short amount of time. If you'd opened a single thread and been more frank about what you were looking for and a budget you likely would have made a purchase already.

I'm patient, I'll join the queue.

The Omega factory in Geneva closed circa 1966. Prior to that the Geneve name stood for quality and was second only to Constellation in the Omega hierarchy. Post that the name was just used as a branding exercise and was used on some pretty unexceptional pieces. There are many examples of the same watch being marked with several sub brands in fact, Seamaster, Geneve, DeVille etc. Things never really did improve since the Geneve handle died quietly during the quartz crisis sometime around 1980. There were some interesting nice Geneve marked pieces made right up until the mid 1970s, but there was also increasingly some dross.

I realise you were probably asking about Onega as a whole rather specifically the Geneve line. The dark days could be roughly considered 1972-1990. but there are exceptions and there were some very good pieces produced in that era too. Some in fact never changed. I use the phase out of the 3 digit automatic movements such as the 552 as my early cut off. My upper limit is more arbitrary and more open to debate. If you are a Pre-Bond fan you could pick 1988 for instance as when things started to improve.
Thanks for this. Interesting both for the Geneve line as well as Omega as a whole.

For the OP, if you’d like to learn more about Omegas, then I can recommend Omega Enthusiast’s YouTube videos as concise and highly detailed looks at the watches that will take you through the different lines and eras. He’s also made video guides on buying your first vintage piece etc.

I know I’m a noob that’s why I’m asking for peoples help. Get over yourself
Everyone pays the noob tax….I’ve been there a few times.
I wouldn’t personally buy it but If you like the look of it try to offer for a price reduction and enjoy. But be patient with advice people offer. It’s saved me a few times over the years.