Forums Latest Members

Alert: Major Theft To Report

1. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

An HOA generally cannot be held liable for criminal acts against residents (check your state law since this may vary). Building owners do have a duty to provide a safe environment for persons who are legally on the premises. I do not see this extending to home burglaries. But you never know, it is California. Crazier legal rulings have definitely come from that state! LOL.

2. Walrus Oct 29, 2019

True but I’m a landlord and I like to keep whoever is in the property happy. If I had tenants making complaints to me I would do everything I could to address it so that is an avenue that couldn’t hurt. I’m sure this poor gentleman has been thinking of all these things anyway I just hope it works out as well as it can.

3. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

You are a good landlord. I'm not sure how many people live in the OP's building, but as the old saying goes, "You can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." The landlord and the HOA should, and hopefully will stand behind the OP. However, the statement was that they should "be held accountable". There is nothing they need to account for unless there is a contract that states they are responsible for preventing break-ins.

4. abrod520 Oct 29, 2019

Building is part of a corporate property portfolio. I think their main concern is that they're not liable, hence why they're stonewalling about surveillance footage.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 29, 2019

bob.jpg

i wouldn't be surprised to see some dude in a yankee hat coming out of the building

also,...if you happen to find any watch that you might think is yours, is there anyway you can prove said watches are yours outside of the serial number outside of the case?

6. Walrus Oct 29, 2019

I should clarify mine is just a single family home and I do require renters insurance I’m just saying if I have good tenants I’ll do what is in my power to keep them, snake toilets at 2am etc. but you are right being held accountable for a break in unless a state has some weird legal language would not usually come into play. I was thinking if the building had a lot of units and a number of residents expressed concern to management it may have a positive effect.

7. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

Can't hurt.

8. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 29, 2019

Offer somebody some $$ to get a look at them

9. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

They will have to check with their legal people to ensure that they have no liability. They do not, but the level you are talking to can't make that determination. Keep at it. Explain your goal at every level.

PS - If they continue to stonewall, look for a local TV station that has a reporter who specializes in helping people with these types of issues. Many stations have a feature that specializes in stories about people struggling with government or corporate red tape. If you convince them to make an inquiry you will get action.

Edited Oct 29, 2019
    merchandiser likes this.
  10. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

No. Don't. You want a clean record that cannot be second guessed. Bribery on your part will not be looked upon kindly as this develops. Keep things on the straight and narrow.

11. kkt Oct 29, 2019

Well, the ones who get caught usually are anyway...

12. saulgoodman Oct 29, 2019

No, they all are. Some are just lucky morons who can't figure out a way to make a living without breaking the law and happen to get away with criminal activity... for now. This isn't a movie where criminals are romantic Robin Hood figures. They are antisocial leeches that prey upon hard working people like the OP.

lando and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. mancio Oct 29, 2019

Oh jesus christ what a nightmare. I'll ask to my friend here in SF to keep bith eyes open.

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 29, 2019

Ok, I am not suggesting the OP do this.

If it was me I am offering a favor in exchange for a favor. The longer you wait the better chance there is “hey sorry the video history got recorded over, or Bob misplaced it”

15. abrod520 Oct 29, 2019

I've already asked the building management to at least preserve the security footage. Hopefully they'll comply.

I already asked this on Instagram last night, but does anyone have any connections to watch groups in China? I'm concerned the watches will be shipped over there and sold to collectors who aren't aware of the theft due to the Great Firewall. Somebody recommended xbiao.com to me, but it's in Chinese and I can't read it to send something. Anyone have a connection there?

16. Baz9614 Oct 29, 2019

I would think that they would happily provide video to assist in recovering your watches unless said key individuals were involved in someway? :thumbsdown:

17. wagudc Oct 29, 2019

This story is everyone here's biggest fear. I feel for you. I would start a thread titled "Need help from down who can read Chinese" Because it is character based a Mandarin, Cantonese or even Japanese speaker could read the characters well enough to navigate the website. I can only speak a little bit of basic Mandarin, so I can't help.

I wish you the best of luck.

18. wagudc Oct 29, 2019

@Spacefruit started a thread about the watch market in Hong Kong, perhaps he has a connection.

19. JwRosenthal Oct 29, 2019

Calling @Walrus - I believe his wife is fluent and travels there for business.

20. Walrus Oct 29, 2019

Yes my wife wife can speak mandarin feel free to contact me if I can help I should have said read as well

Edited Oct 29, 2019