Forums Latest Members
  1. Timetron Mar 5, 2022

2. savka Mar 5, 2022

A very useful complication in a very funky watch
    9C7FA67B-C668-4C4A-9F45-8D9D8215662D.jpeg

LesXL, X350 XJR, Zapatta and 9 others like this.
  3. DeathandTaxes Mar 31, 2022

A Vulcain Cricket that was a beloved watch of my uncle, who, knowing my interest in watches, told me stories about the watch but presumed it lost. After my uncle passed, his son found it hidden away in an eyeglass case, long forgotten for over 40 years. My cousin then generously gave the watch to me, because he knew of his father's discussions with me about it.

20210816_190937.jpg
    LesXL, dougiedude, Zapatta and 11 others like this.
  4. Father Time Apr 2, 2022

First off, I have to admit that I am not a frequent poster to this forum and I apologize. More of a lurker than a contributor. Next, I have a very large collection of watches, which includes more than 60 alarm watches. I will try and post a few, but first, you guys are in the midst of greatness...! Am I really believing my eyes??!! Guys, these are RARE as hen's teeth! I searched a lot of years (I've been in this silly game since the '70's), for a good one (In my hunt, I have run across 3 or 4 others - now, 3 here!) and settled for this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mechanism is very unusual and extremely fragile and sensitive. It is very easy to overwind the bezel and break the alarm mechanism. I never wind mine much over ~300 degrees.

Then I was on a gun forum (I belong to a bunch of forums and this is my explanation for not contributing more here), a few years ago and a gentleman was showing a few pictures of his guns. I happened to catch a wrist shot (you know how we are!) and found this really sweet companion to the Witty alarm! I PM'd him immediately and asked if he was interested in selling his watch. He was so surprised, he said his grandfather had given it to him and he really had no interest or sentimentality tied to it (can you imagine?!). He tells me, "Yeah, I'd get rid of it". I asked what he wanted and he didn't have a clue. He asked me what I thought it was worth and I honestly had no clue either! I have never seen another one! He told me he wanted some extra money to purchase ammo. I asked him what he was interested in (calibers, quantities, etc.) and doubled the amount he was asking for (which was extremely reasonable, to me!). I received it and was absolutely head over heels over it! Like I mentioned..., I have never seen another! I was also quite blown away that there are 3 other alarms on this forum. Did I mention they are rare?! Well, except here!

[​IMG]

The Twins together:

[​IMG]

I have to also mention that the alarm is so very pleasant, more of a "chime", like some of the higher end alarm watches. Not the jarring, in your face, wake you up kind, that is normally associated with these watches. It is clear and loud, however.

Has anyone on here ever seen another?

Edited Apr 2, 2022
    LesXL, jjen, Zapatta and 11 others like this.
  5. savka Apr 4, 2022

Great pair! The alarm is one of my favorite watches -- the clever numerals, textured dial, squiggly alarm hand, the way the light catches the minute markers, it all makes for a really fun watch. Add to that the rotating bezel, unique movement, and strong chime and it's a real winner for me. My only gripe is that the alarm isn't all that precise...

I was on the hunt for an all stainless steel version but had a hard time finding a working example in decent condition. Most don't work at all, have replacement parts (especially hands and crown), and are just really beat up whenever they do surface. In the end, I got tired of hunting and settled for a gold version in great condition and swapped out the case for steel so that I have a steel case and gold hands/numerals. The hour and minute hands have lost their lume but I don't mind that; I'd rather have a skeleton look than have them relumed. Overall, I like the combo. (And I still have the original case to swap back whenever I want to restore it to its original all-gold state.)

Never seen another one in the wild and I haven't had anyone comment on mine (even though I wear it very often). But those that know, really know ;):thumbsup:

Father Time likes this.
  6. Father Time Apr 4, 2022

@pweingarten I couldn't tell from your post, but do you own this watch? I have seen it posted on the web and didn't know if you borrowed the image. I know I have seen my own images pop up in weird places. I was wondering because, this is the Rarest of the Rare in the black dial version... so desirable, well by me anyway.

@savka you are absolutely correct! These are hard to find, especially in good condition. Then you are hard pressed to find one that works! Yes, those crowns are quite unique as well. As I mentioned, the alarm mechanism is very unique and complicated, as well as being very fragile. I found it interesting you have a spare SS case laying around! These are equally rare. I just love wearing it, even though they are extremely small on my 8" wrist! Can't get enough of those Art Deco numerials!

savka likes this.
  7. Father Time Apr 4, 2022

Here's a few more with the Bible...

[​IMG]

The author even says, this example has the wrong parts (those hands are atrocious!).

[​IMG]

It even deserved a full page in the Bible (even the lume is missing on these hands and that tough crown is all wrong!i).

A few in the stable on the Bible...

[​IMG]

The top half...

[​IMG]

The bottom half...

[​IMG]

(This represents less than a ⅕ of the collection)

I have a few listed in the book...

[​IMG]

Of course, Vulcain and the JLC take up a lot of ink.

One of the obligatory wristies...

[​IMG]

I do love this Cricket. A few years ago, I was able to pick this up as NOS. Extremely hard to photograph and get a true idea of this dial! I have seen these going for insane amounts of money lately, when you can find it!

Edited Apr 6, 2022
  8. DeathandTaxes Jul 6, 2022

Favre-Leuba Memo Raider - resembles a JLC E871 rotated 90 degrees and powered by the same 917 movement. 20220705_101354.jpg

9. sxl2004 Jul 6, 2022

DDFB725A-AC79-4353-B6C2-95D372CEAFDF.jpeg Multiple posting alert

10. DeathandTaxes Jul 11, 2022

1950s/1960s Favre-Leuba Sea Bird
    20220711_102328.jpg

Appears to use the same case and dial from the 1950s Sea Raider
    Screenshot_20220709-174301_eBay.jpg

11. Marsimaxam Jul 11, 2022

Only owned one alarm watch, it was a Panerai 98 Radiomir.
    I eventually sold it as I couldn’t hear the alarm… I’m sure my lousy hearing had something to do with that issue. 3D8670FE-BDAF-4614-93A9-8B4FC9FD9408.jpeg

12. unxsr Jul 11, 2022

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but does anyone know where I could find another case for this watch?

s-l1600.jpg IMG_1294.jpeg
    tnt9 and noelekal like this.
  13. NT931 Sep 14, 2022

A vintage Citizen alarm, nicely sized at 37mm with some wabisabi... 95DF6C20-946A-4C3A-B4D4-50A54C9AF037.jpeg

And a recent arrival, a Bellmatic with the original bracelet
    F5B34797-0C56-4968-9028-DE106CFF2493.jpeg

X350 XJR, Leeroy, jjen and 3 others like this.
  14. jjen Sep 14, 2022

I have the twin of that Bellmatic

NT931 likes this.
  15. Father Time Sep 14, 2022

Let's not forget the Tudor Advisor, probably the coolest and best looking of the current productions (IMO of course)

[​IMG]

Time, date, power indicator, alarm on/off indicator and alarm. It has it all... High on my list.

Edited Sep 14, 2022
    TimeODanaos likes this.
  16. Father Time Sep 14, 2022

Here's another one of those, "Never seen another like its". Also, one of my favorites. Don't know anything about it, I just love it. I'm going to guess 50's, 60's. All I know for sure is it is a Landi Despertador, 17 jewels, Swiss made.

[​IMG]

With the "amplifier" in the back, she's pretty loud too.

[​IMG]

noelekal, DaveK and WestCoastTime like this.
  17. Father Time Oct 9, 2022

What... no more love for the alarms??

How about a pretty rare Nepro Memotron?? Nepro stands for New Products. The only Automatic, Electronic Alarm wristwatch.

The watch uses an automatic movement and has a battery driven electric alarm with a small built-in speaker in the back!! When it goes off it sounds like a really loud, pissed-off mosquito!

I found it as NOS with everything intact, bracelet, crowns, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eeewww... it even has the notorious, "Micro-Buzzer 500" in it..., it's a gas! I really can't find too much else about the darn thing. I once saw one come up on eBay in, "really loved" condition, that went for outrageous money.

C'mon guys... let's keep this thread going.

18. Pianotuna Oct 11, 2022

I’m a Bell-magic fan. Seriously unloved and undervalued watch by the vintage watch community. I have owned up to a dozen at one time and mistakenly sold a few of the better ones (albeit to purchase a more desirable piece). Currently still have a few but all in stainless steel and all the later 17j models. Had an unusual American market gold (27j?) chocolate dial which I should have kept since I haven’t seen another in that condition since.

on the flip side it did help finance me into a Megasonic in excellent condition…

like the memovox as well. A cool, permanently stylish watch

Father Time likes this.
  19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 12, 2022

One of my many ‘barking metal crickets’:D

C2A8E450-5961-4693-B0EF-0815E1C5254D.jpeg

20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 12, 2022

dougiedude likes this.