Advice on this Seamaster cal. 342

Posts
28
Likes
4
Hello everyone, hope you have had a great start of the week.

I have been patiently waiting for my first vintage Omega purchase and I came across this Seamaster, reference is 2576-14, has a cal 342 and small second hand. The caseback is plain (doesn’t have the hippocampus nor the Seamaster engraving).

The font, hands, lugs, crown and bezel looks good to me (I know I might be wrong considering I’m new into this); but the hour markers of the dial are throwing me off because I haven’t found another example where it doesn’t have any numbers. Also dial looks pristine but the font doesn’t, so my guessing is that it was not redialed but maybe had the hour markers replaced?

Or maybe is a legit model and I don’t know. I would really appreciate any feedback as I’m still learning. Thank you so much in advance!

 
Posts
9,233
Likes
76,856
Nice looking watch and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

I can reassure you that the caseback is correct. Your movement serial number dates the watch at about 1950 and Seamasters had plain case backs at that time.

You’ll obviously hear from others but I rather suspect that your dial has, at a later stage, been (expertly) repainted.

In 1950, Seamasters didn’t have 'Seamaster' on the dial - that was introduced in the next couple of years, prior to 1954. And, when it was introduced from then until about 1960, the 'S' in Seamaster was the 'coathanger' style like that in the photo I’ve attached of a 1954 2767. The 'Seamaster' on your dial is in the post 1959/60 script.

It was a fairly commonplace practice for watch dials to be ‘refreshed'.
 
Posts
28
Likes
4
Nice looking watch and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

I can reassure you that the caseback is correct. Your movement serial number dates the watch at about 1950 and Seamasters had plain case backs at that time.

You’ll obviously hear from others but I rather suspect that your dial has, at a later stage, been (expertly) repainted.

In 1950, Seamasters didn’t have 'Seamaster' on the dial - that was introduced in the next couple of years, prior to 1954. And, when it was introduced from then until about 1960, the 'S' in Seamaster was the 'coathanger' style like that in the photo I’ve attached of a 1954 2767. The 'Seamaster' on your dial is in the post 1959/60 script.

It was a fairly commonplace practice for watch dials to be ‘refreshed'.
Thank you so much, Spruce! I remember reading a thread about seamasters and the different timing on the S-style, which I also found “weird” on this one considering the cal. 342.

Still a beautiful watch. Yours looks amazing for a gold case, congrats!
 
Posts
9,233
Likes
76,856
Thank you so much, Spruce! I remember reading a thread about seamasters and the different timing on the S-style, which I also found “weird” on this one considering the cal. 342.

Still a beautiful watch. Yours looks amazing for a gold case, congrats!
Thanks but, sadly, gold capped 🙏
 
Posts
13,489
Likes
31,801
Actually I think the dial is a later Omega service dial, not a refinished period dial. The tell for me is the embossed rather than applied Omega emblem and hour markers.
 
Posts
9,233
Likes
76,856
Actually I think the dial is a later Omega service dial, not a refinished period dial. The tell for me is the embossed rather than applied Omega emblem and hour markers.
I hadn’t thought of that but I agree with you 👍I did think it looked very well done but the idea of a service dial never occurred to me. Apologies @Amuel
 
Posts
28
Likes
4
I hadn’t thought of that but I agree with you 👍I did think it looked very well done but the idea of a service dial never occurred to me. Apologies @Amuel
No need to apologize, @Spruce . I always find more enriching reading all the comments and opinions, so thank you both for that!
 
Posts
2,335
Likes
1,456
Did you buy this?

Hard to tell, but case looks so do. 1:00 lug inside edge looks like splitting. Case looks scratched and at 7:00. Appears to be a ding in the bezel.

A good polisher could clean it up a bit
 
Posts
28
Likes
4
Did you buy this?

Hard to tell, but case looks so do. 1:00 lug inside edge looks like splitting. Case looks scratched and at 7:00. Appears to be a ding in the bezel.

A good polisher could clean it up a bit
Hi Don, haven’t yet. Asked for advice first. Thanks for your feedback aswell!
 
Posts
2,335
Likes
1,456
Hi Don, haven’t yet. Asked for advice first. Thanks for your feedback aswell!
Wouldn’t buy then.
 
Posts
28
Likes
4
Wouldn’t buy then.
Not even for 500ish €? My budget is not plenty but I do want to get my first vintage watch. Here is a case photo from the back I found. Thank you!

 
Posts
2,335
Likes
1,456
Not even for 500ish €? My budget is not plenty but I do want to get my first vintage watch. Here is a case photo from the back I found. Thank you!

Not for €500 That ding at 7:00 doesn't look good and your going to see it everytime you look at it

Ask seller for a better picture of it and upper right lug where it looks like its splitting

Don't be in a rush. Lot of these watches are not rare and Ebay is filled with them.
 
Posts
28
Likes
4
Not for €500 That ding at 7:00 doesn't look good and your going to see it everytime you look at it

Ask seller for a better picture of it and upper right lug where it looks like its splitting

Don't be in a rush. Lot of these watches are not rare and Ebay is filled with them.
Hi @DON , I requested a few more pictures and the seller shared the following. Lugs look good to me (given the age) but I might be missing something. Thank you in advance.

 
Posts
2,335
Likes
1,456
Hi @DON , I requested a few more pictures and the seller shared the following. Lugs look good to me (given the age) but I might be missing something. Thank you in advance.

Second new image looks like pitting on inside of lug. Not good

In your original post. First image

Upper right lug. Inside edge. See the somewhat black line? That’s called splitting. Where the gold cap starts to separate due to stress.

On the bezel. Right below the 7:00 index on the edge. Appears to be a dent. That’s what you want closer pictures of.

Dial and hands look ok. I just don’t like the condition of the case

 
Posts
9,233
Likes
76,856
I’m following this thread and on the basis that @X350 XJR is right about the dial being a service dial and that the watch runs okay, I’d go €500 if you like the look of it.

Of course, @DON makes valid points about the case and hands but I reckon that the hands are okay and, for a 76 year old functioning watch that looks okay, you should get it if you like it.

It may need a service and the lungs could be repaired (the slight damage is on the underside) but bearing all that in mind, compare it with other bumpers on eBay and, if you still like it ….