Advice on Speedmaster / reduced

I have a reduced and purchased it for a few reasons. Wrists are small, automatic and price. I really wanted a vintage 36mm Omega chronograph but wasn’t finding one easily for a fair price so when I saw a nice speed master reduced with like new Omega strap for $1k, I jumped on it and am very happy with it. Not a fan of the bracelets that come with it. Recently found a Seamaster 321 chronograph for much more but they’re getting harder to find so took the plunge. Still keeping the reduced as I can wear it without worrying about it being too rare or expensive. I know the prices of the reduced and pro are much higher now so if it were me, I’d skip both and get a vintage Seamaster 321. You’ll have something that is much more unique with potentially better appreciation than the others as they’re just much harder to source and they look great on smaller wrists! Good luck!

thanks Big G, those prices are insane - having just looked on line for the 321, I see none around anywhere near the price you quote
very nice watch though

To complete Archer's answer regarding the reduced (the only true one: the shrunken pro)
- The ones with the yellowish markers are the first versions (from 1988), which use tritium.
- They switched to luminova (around mid-90's?) and those stay plain white. Note that 1st versions serviced by Omega most likely have a luminova dial+hands now (replaced during a service)
- There is also a 3rd (later) version of the reduced that uses sapphire crystal instead of hesalite: its dial has no minute number next to the hour index and it has stepped subdial

That is for the main evolution of the reduced. Now, there are also a lot of variations outside of the standard steel/plain-black look: "Schumacher", "Racing", gold, gold-steel, japan-limited editions, "lady". And all of those variations have several variations

Anyway and as already told by others, you should try both. The Reduced is indeed a reduced Speedmaster and it wears smaller than the Pro. But both are cheating about their real diameter as the crown guard is included, plus they have short lugs. At 7" your wrist should have no trouble with a Pro (mine is 6.25, I tried a Pro out of curiosity and it did not look bigger than my 40mm Hamilton, but quite bigger than my 39mm reduced)

Lurk 41 - thanks for the detail on the models and the info on the yellow markers etc
looks like I really should try the Pro as everyone suggests

I would never buy the reduced as it has a piggyback chrono module. I took mine to 4 local watchmakers in Chicago, none of them would touch it, saying it was meant to be replaced and not serviced. I sent it to Omega for service ($650) and it had to go back to them 3 times before they got it right. The first time, I took the watch home and the chrono stopped working, took it back and the boutique claimed that I must have dropped it or something. Got it back the second time, this time I tested it in the boutique, and the chono stopped working. The third time, I think they got it right and they also refunded the service fee. I sold the watch immediately on ebay.

thanks very useful info Briguy many thanks

I had no issues with mine for years, and when it went in for service I really only wanted it refinished but thought it had been enough years to also warrant service. (it was an older watch I bought used and then owned for about 5 years). Compared to a normal movement, the reduced models with a Dubois dupraz movements should be considered disposable. It will last a long time out of the factory, but watch out when it comes time for service. It's a total cost cutting effort to lessen the cost of goods on a new watch without any real thought given to long term service.

There are lots of date models with the 7750 variant, just get one of those and it can be worked on by anyone.

again Briguy, many thanks, ill look into the 7750 variant

On the wrist, I think the reduced is too big for my tastes. Lol!

On the wrist my Reduced wears about the same as my 36mm Carreras -- it's those oh-so-long lugs on the Carrera. What wears unexpectedly small is the Hamilton chrono-matic because although it's 38mm by actual measurement the lugs are rather short and it's somewhat thick for its size. It is a piggy-back DD + Buren movement and has its problems. Nothing to do with DD or piggy-backness, just the haste to get it onto the market and beat Zenith to get it onto customers' wrists 😉

My Reduced gets more wrist-time than everything else I own combined. Not what I expected when I bought it, but 😁

Photo was not taken in today's weather 😒

I would never buy the reduced as it has a piggyback chrono module. I took mine to 4 local watchmakers in Chicago, none of them would touch it, saying it was meant to be replaced and not serviced. I sent it to Omega for service ($650) and it had to go back to them 3 times before they got it right. The first time, I took the watch home and the chrono stopped working, took it back and the boutique claimed that I must have dropped it or something. Got it back the second time, this time I tested it in the boutique, and the chono stopped working. The third time, I think they got it right and they also refunded the service fee. I sold the watch immediately on ebay.

Yes I had similar issues with mine that was given to me (as an employee) by Omega when they returned to Olympic Games Omega-branded timing service in Torino 2006 (taking over from Swatch...just a uniform change for us!!!). The watch uses a Dubois-Depraz "sandwich" module that as many have stated are spurned by many watchmakers. I almost never wear mine (no particular reason) but I brought it in to Swatch Group service here in Montreal 2-3 years ago just to give it its first full service and because the chrono minute hand was acting odd. 6 months later it came back from Toronto "fixed", and 3 days later the chrono hand fell off. Back it went to Toronto and after about another 4-5 months they gave up and stuck a new movement in it at no (extra) charge (the service cost me CAD $1000...pricey!). So yeah, a problematic watch, but nice. Going forward I will just get the Omega side cleaned/serviced and leave the chrono layer alone.

More info on the D-D unit https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org...nograph-module-switzerlands-best-kept-secret/

I have smaller wrists than you and have worn a regular sized Speedmaster Pro easily. If you wore a Sub, you can easily wear a Speedy Pro. Get it (or one of the slightly smaller variations like the First Omega in Space or 60th Anniversary edition) any day over the old automatic versions.
+1 for the Speedy FOIS.
My wrist is a tad over 6in in diameter and I think it wears fine on me.

thanks Big G, those prices are insane - having just looked on line for the 321, I see none around anywhere near the price you quote
very nice watch though
Jim, the $1k was for the Speedmaster reduced. I think those go for $2-2.5k now. I paid $5.2k for the Seamaster 321. I don’t follow prices of the Speedmaster pro but I’d expect they’re in the $4-4.5k range on the lower end depending on model, etc., which is why I recommended stretching that a bit for a Seamaster 321. Nothing against the Speedmaster pro, I just think the Seamaster 321 is a much more “special” watch than a Speedmaster pro. These are dealer prices I am listing. You might do better with a private sale.

I have a Speedmaster, and a Speedmaster reduced. I wear the reduced far more often than the Speedmaster. And I have big wrists. I like the “bling” the reduced gives me! I’ve had it for 30 years. The first 29 of which I wore it on a steel Omega bracelet (was there ever a rose gold and steel Omega bracelet?). But lately I have been wearing it on a quality black Buffalo hide strap which I think goes nicely with the watch.

The only thing I like better on the Pro version is the sunken sub-dials. Reduced sub-dials aren’t as nice.

Yes I had similar issues with mine that was given to me (as an employee) by Omega when they returned to Olympic Games Omega-branded timing service in Torino 2006 (taking over from Swatch...just a uniform change for us!!!). The watch uses a Dubois-Depraz "sandwich" module that as many have stated are spurned by many watchmakers. I almost never wear mine (no particular reason) but I brought it in to Swatch Group service here in Montreal 2-3 years ago just to give it its first full service and because the chrono minute hand was acting odd. 6 months later it came back from Toronto "fixed", and 3 days later the chrono hand fell off. Back it went to Toronto and after about another 4-5 months they gave up and stuck a new movement in it at no (extra) charge (the service cost me CAD $1000...pricey!). So yeah, a problematic watch, but nice. Going forward I will just get the Omega side cleaned/serviced and leave the chrono layer alone.

More info on the D-D unit https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org...nograph-module-switzerlands-best-kept-secret/

Omega typically swaps the movements in these, installing a movement that was previously removed from someone else’s watch, and refurbished. Your movement will be sent back to Switzerland to be refurbished and sent out to be put in a watch somewhere else.

Servicing the base movement and not the module isn’t a great idea. Every hand on that watch is being moved by the module, so ignoring that means you are only getting 1/2 a service.

Jim, the $1k was for the Speedmaster reduced. I think those go for $2-2.5k now. I paid $5.2k for the Seamaster 321. I don’t follow prices of the Speedmaster pro but I’d expect they’re in the $4-4.5k range on the lower end depending on model, etc., which is why I recommended stretching that a bit for a Seamaster 321. Nothing against the Speedmaster pro, I just think the Seamaster 321 is a much more “special” watch than a Speedmaster pro. These are dealer prices I am listing. You might do better with a private sale.

thanks Big G, my mistake - thanks again for the help

I've been there and all I have to say is to slap one on your wrist to decide. I have a small wrists (6.50" depending my ever changing body weight and exercise regime!).

I had a Speedy Reduced, a Speedy Triple Date, Speedy FOIS and presently a Speedy Pro Hesalite Sandwich.

Choice of bracelet, leather straps, NATO or MN straps make a such a huge difference how my present Speedy fits to my wrist. Cheap leather puny straps look horrid and my favourites at the moment are MN style ones from Erika's Originals and Hawkrigger.

In terms of bracelets, Forstner ones make a difference how it draps on the wrist.

My itch for a Speedy Pro was too much... hence the Reduced, Triple Date and FOIS were flipped. Also, never got use to the pushers and crown arrangement on the Reduced, the Triple Date display was too busy and just didn't gel with the hands on the FOIS.

Am I happy? Yeah... The Speedy Pro is a keeper!

Edited:

hi all,
first time post - having just sold my Rolex Sub (as was offered double what I paid 7 years ago!!), im considering a used Speedmaster
I dont have the largest of wrists (c7 inch), so was considering a reduced/automatic as they are referred to
I know about the difficulty in servicing, but thats not a concern for me
what's confusing me, is the many different versions that came out - some referred to as a '40', then 'double date', then the standard one which looks more like a shrunken Speedmaster Pro
i.ve also seem some with, what looks like, 'yellowish' hour markers, giving a nice patina, then seen some of the same watch, without the yellow markers

I was wondering if there was a site, a database, or an expert on here that could shed some light on this model
also, I would probably wear on a leather strap, as im not a huge fan of the steel ones
thanks in advance
Jim

My 1990 Speedmaster reduced has been my daily watch for give or take 30 years. It’s been off to service several times. It’s my most accurate watch. Pretty much +/- 0. Back then I opted for it because the Pro seemed too large and it being automatic was actually appealing. It was the right choice at the time.
I’ve since added a 1861 Speedmaster Pro (not a fan of the new 3861 and it’s bracelet, even the somewhat similar one on my Speedmaster Reduced seems more substantial…) because it had been on my list all these years and a larger watch like this doesn’t seem out place these days any longer even in my ~7.25” wrist.

Check out all versions if you can in person but the Speedy reduced (and there are different versions of it also) is definitely a sleeper in my book. It served me well so far and will continue to do so I’m sure. Prices have gone up for those as well. I believe they were quite popular in Japan at the time.

I've been there and all I have to say is to slap one on your wrist to decide. I have a small wrists (6.50" depending my ever changing body weight and exercise regime!).

I had a Speedy Reduced, a Speedy Triple Date, Speedy FOIS and presently a Speedy Pro Hesalite Sandwich.

Choice of bracelet, leather straps, NATO or MN straps make a such a huge difference how my present Speedy fits to my wrist. Cheap leather puny straps look horrid and my favourites at the moment are MN style ones from Erika's Originals and Hawkrigger.

In terms of bracelets, Forstner ones make a difference how it draps on the wrist.

My itch for a Speedy Pro was too much... hence the Reduced, Triple Date and FOIS were flipped. Also, never got use to the pushers and crown arrangement on the Reduced, the Triple Date display was too busy and just didn't gel with the hands on the FOIS.

Am I happy? Yeah... The Speedy Pro is a keeper!

thanks Sicario, those pictures show a great comparison of all the ones I was considering

My 1990 Speedmaster reduced has been my daily watch for give or take 30 years. It’s been off to service several times. It’s my most accurate watch. Pretty much +/- 0. Back then I opted for it because the Pro seemed too large and it being automatic was actually appealing. It was the right choice at the time.
I’ve since added a 1861 Speedmaster Pro (not a fan of the new 3861 and it’s bracelet, even the somewhat similar one on my Speedmaster Reduced seems more substantial…) because it had been on my list all these years and a larger watch like this doesn’t seem out place these days any longer even in my ~7.25” wrist.

Check out all versions if you can in person but the Speedy reduced (and there are different versions of it also) is definitely a sleeper in my book. It served me well so far and will continue to do so I’m sure. Prices have gone up for those as well. I believe they were quite popular in Japan at the time.

thanks 7enderbender

Omega typically swaps the movements in these, installing a movement that was previously removed from someone else’s watch, and refurbished. Your movement will be sent back to Switzerland to be refurbished and sent out to be put in a watch somewhere else.

I know the reduced watches aren't as valuable or sought after as their bigger Moonwatch brothers, but I'm curious as to how a movement replacement in the Reduced Speedies effects value..... a little, lots or no significant difference?

I suppose that the certificate from Omega (should an owner order one), might call into question whether a movement had been changed, or not. But my Speedmaster reduced sat virtually un-used for 20 years because it was an abysmal performer, after I bought it used. I sent it to Swatch Group in Toronto about 10 years go, and they replaced the movement complete. Since then, I value it highly because it is an excellent performer. If you were to replace the movement in a Speedmaster reduced, do not expect the value of the watch to increase by the cost of the replacement. In other words, don’t replace the movement on one, and expect to sell it for what you have in it.

The movements in these don’t have serial numbers, so an extract would not reveal if they have replaced the movement