Advice on Speedmaster / reduced

The movements in these don’t have serial numbers, so an extract would not reveal if they have replaced the movement
Sounds like it was planned that way. Throw away movements so put the serial # on the case back.

Have you thought about a speedmaster racing 40mm? I love mine. The size is perfect for my 17.5cm wrist and the 3330 movement in mine is more consistent than my 8800. Also it has a date complication which I insist on all my timepieces and they are very affordable.

Sounds like it was planned that way. Throw away movements so put the serial # on the case back.

Not a COSC movement, so that's the reason there's no serial number. There are other movements of the same era that are still fully serviced like normal, that do not have serial numbers on the movements.

It wasn't to intentionally "throw away" the movement, because the movements are not thrown away. They are sent back to a central facility in Switzerland and serviced, and then used as replacements. So when you send your watch in, the movement gets removed, sent to Switzerland, and refurbished. It then gets sent out to be installed in another watch somewhere, and the movement you get back will have had the same things done to it.

Not a COSC movement, so that's the reason there's no serial number. There are other movements of the same era that are still fully serviced like normal, that do not have serial numbers on the movements.

It wasn't to intentionally "throw away" the movement, because the movements are not thrown away. They are sent back to a central facility in Switzerland and serviced, and then used as replacements. So when you send your watch in, the movement gets removed, sent to Switzerland, and refurbished. It then gets sent out to be installed in another watch somewhere, and the movement you get back will have had the same things done to it.
Got it, shouldn’t have said throw away, but necessary to put the serial # somewhere else on the watch with that approach.

Got it, shouldn’t have said throw away, but necessary to put the serial # somewhere else on the watch with that approach.

Omega puts it on the case anyway...so watches will have the serial number on the case and movement, where the movement has one.

Have you thought about a speedmaster racing 40mm? I love mine. The size is perfect for my 17.5cm wrist and the 3330 movement in mine is more consistent than my 8800. Also it has a date complication which I insist on all my timepieces and they are very affordable.

thanks Bucks, I handy considered those actually, so will certainly have a look at them - one of my main things is that I would prefer something very discrete as thats what I didnt like about my Sub 116610LN - too. bulky and 'in your face'

Thanks Hen, OMG, never realised there were sooooo many

Yes it is! Its hard to pick one. I have been looking at a day/date for some time now, and I think this is my favorite: Omega 3523.30.00 : Speedmaster Day-Date 39 Stainless Steel / Silver / Bracelet » WatchBase
39mm, 100m WR, screwback, moon date pointer and silver dial.

I think this one is the most popular of the day/dates, because of the colors and because Hodinki said so?
Omega 3520.53.00 : Speedmaster Day Date 40 Stainless Steel / Mark 40 / Bracelet » WatchBase

Yes it is! Its hard to pick one. I have been looking at a day/date for some time now, and I think this is my favorite: Omega 3523.30.00 : Speedmaster Day-Date 39 Stainless Steel / Silver / Bracelet » WatchBase
39mm, 100m WR, screwback, moon date pointer and silver dial.

I think this one is the most popular of the day/dates, because of the colors and because Hodinki said so?
Omega 3520.53.00 : Speedmaster Day Date 40 Stainless Steel / Mark 40 / Bracelet » WatchBase

Thanks Hen, both very nice indeed - thanks again for the link, its very useful

thanks Bucks, I handy considered those actually, so will certainly have a look at them - one of my main things is that I would prefer something very discrete as thats what I didnt like about my Sub 116610LN - too. bulky and 'in your face'

The Racing 40mm Co-axial is lesser known, but superior to the Reduced, imo. Large sub dials, integrated Chrono, 100m water resistance, Si hairspring, column wheel.

On bracelet, it wears like a 39mm. On strap, it wears smaller - like a 38mm. I think the 40mm includes the minuscule crown guards.

On a 7.25" wrist:

qfl5vV3.jpg
XTBfWlZ.jpg

The Racing 40mm Co-axial is lesser known, but superior to the Reduced, imo. Large sub dials, integrated Chrono, 100m water resistance, Si hairspring, column wheel.

On bracelet, it wears like a 39mm. On strap, it wears smaller - like a 38mm. I think the 40mm includes the minuscule crown guards.

On a 7.25" wrist:

qfl5vV3.jpg
XTBfWlZ.jpg
thanks chipotlefire - they look very nice indeed

Is the assignment of a serial number still a requirement for COSC certification? Tudor does the same 'rent-a-movement' system with all their Kenissi movements, and those don't have serial numbers despite still being COSC certified.

Is the assignment of a serial number still a requirement for COSC certification? Tudor does the same 'rent-a-movement' system with all their Kenissi movements, and those don't have serial numbers despite still being COSC certified.
Has anyone got a DD module chrono through COSC certification I wonder? I can't think of an Omega model that has it but then some fairly high end manufacturers used this solution back in the 90s and beyond, maybe they tried.

I would personally avoid the 7750 based watches if you are worried about size. They are very thick and sit high on the wrist. They are however much easier to have serviced. I would probably still go for a speedy pro over the reduced because the spacing of the sub dials on the reduced just looks odd to me. Could just be bias from having the pro though.

I would personally avoid the 7750 based watches if you are worried about size. They are very thick and sit high on the wrist. They are however much easier to have serviced. I would probably still go for a speedy pro over the reduced because the spacing of the sub dials on the reduced just looks odd to me. Could just be bias from having the pro though.

I'd take anything over the reduced but the older Pro is 1mm less thick than a 40mm Racing co-axial. Not sure if I would consider that much of a difference. YMMV

With my 6.25" wrists I initially shopped for a Reduced, but for some reason it still felt really chunky wearing it, and I couldn't warm up to the 40mm racing when I tried it on. Ultimately it's why I settled for a FOIS, which I think looks right at home on thinner wrists. With 7" wrists I think a Pro would be just fine though size-wise.

The FOIS is thicker than the Reduced

True, but I put on an Omega sapphire case which reduced the thickness considerably. The twisted lugs make the reduced feel bulkier than the FOIS imo, when I tried both.

Yes, as far as I know. This is the first I’ve heard that Tudor movements don’t have serial numbers. Where does this information come from?