Advice on Speedmaster / reduced

hi all,
first time post - having just sold my Rolex Sub (as was offered double what I paid 7 years ago!!), im considering a used Speedmaster
I dont have the largest of wrists (c7 inch), so was considering a reduced/automatic as they are referred to
I know about the difficulty in servicing, but thats not a concern for me
what's confusing me, is the many different versions that came out - some referred to as a '40', then 'double date', then the standard one which looks more like a shrunken Speedmaster Pro
i.ve also seem some with, what looks like, 'yellowish' hour markers, giving a nice patina, then seen some of the same watch, without the yellow markers

I was wondering if there was a site, a database, or an expert on here that could shed some light on this model
also, I would probably wear on a leather strap, as im not a huge fan of the steel ones
thanks in advance
Jim

Step one honestly is looking at a Professional one and a Reduced in real life. People tend to set the 42mm Pro aside because of it's diameter but the Reduced wears bigger IMHO.

Step one honestly is looking at a Professional one and a Reduced in real life. People tend to set the 42mm Pro aside because of it's diameter but the Reduced wears bigger IMHO.
Really? I've always thought the reduced looks much smaller on the wrist.

I agree that it's worth trying both on. The Pro is not that chunky.

I have smaller wrists than you and have worn a regular sized Speedmaster Pro easily. If you wore a Sub, you can easily wear a Speedy Pro. Get it (or one of the slightly smaller variations like the First Omega in Space or 60th Anniversary edition) any day over the old automatic versions.

hi all,
first time post - having just sold my Rolex Sub (as was offered double what I paid 7 years ago!!), im considering a used Speedmaster
I dont have the largest of wrists (c7 inch), so was considering a reduced/automatic as they are referred to
what's confusing me, is the many different versions that came out - some referred to as a '40', then 'double date', then the standard one which looks more like a shrunken Speedmaster Pro
i.ve also seem some with, what looks like, 'yellowish' hour markers, giving a nice patina, then seen some of the same watch, without the yellow markers

I was wondering if there was a site, a database, or an expert on here that could shed some light on this model
also, I would probably wear on a leather strap, as im not a huge fan of the steel ones
thanks in advance
Jim

The only model you mentioned that is actually a Speedmaster e=reduced is the "standard one which looks more like a shrunken Speedmaster Pro", and the others are all Speedmaster date models.

The Speedmaster reduced uses a modular chronograph movement, and it has no date. The other models are based on the ETA 7750, and your servicing options are much more varied with those, then with the reduced. If I were choosing between these models, it would be a Speedmaster date model of some kind every time.

hi all,

thanks in advance
Jim

I was in a similar boat. My wrists are much smaller than yours and initially I had wrote of the speedy pro as a watch I would always love from afar but was never for me due to its 42mm size. After trying one on in person I changed my mind. Sure its big but IMO not to the point where I felt it looked ridiculous. When I tried it on my wife felt the same way. I am starting to believe a watch being "too big" or "too small" based on wrist size is more in our heads than anything. Here is a photo for reference. Again my wrists are MUCH smaller than yours.

I have a reduced and purchased it for a few reasons. Wrists are small, automatic and price. I really wanted a vintage 36mm Omega chronograph but wasn’t finding one easily for a fair price so when I saw a nice speed master reduced with like new Omega strap for $1k, I jumped on it and am very happy with it. Not a fan of the bracelets that come with it. Recently found a Seamaster 321 chronograph for much more but they’re getting harder to find so took the plunge. Still keeping the reduced as I can wear it without worrying about it being too rare or expensive. I know the prices of the reduced and pro are much higher now so if it were me, I’d skip both and get a vintage Seamaster 321. You’ll have something that is much more unique with potentially better appreciation than the others as they’re just much harder to source and they look great on smaller wrists! Good luck!

On the wrist, I think the reduced is too big for my tastes. Lol!

One more thing, they’re all expensive to service so don’t let that factor into your decision because if service expense is a consideration, don’t buy a chronograph.

hi all,

thanks in advance
Jim
To complete Archer's answer regarding the reduced (the only true one: the shrunken pro)
- The ones with the yellowish markers are the first versions (from 1988), which use tritium.
- They switched to luminova (around mid-90's?) and those stay plain white. Note that 1st versions serviced by Omega most likely have a luminova dial+hands now (replaced during a service)
- There is also a 3rd (later) version of the reduced that uses sapphire crystal instead of hesalite: its dial has no minute number next to the hour index and it has stepped subdial

That is for the main evolution of the reduced. Now, there are also a lot of variations outside of the standard steel/plain-black look: "Schumacher", "Racing", gold, gold-steel, japan-limited editions, "lady". And all of those variations have several variations

Anyway and as already told by others, you should try both. The Reduced is indeed a reduced Speedmaster and it wears smaller than the Pro. But both are cheating about their real diameter as the crown guard is included, plus they have short lugs. At 7" your wrist should have no trouble with a Pro (mine is 6.25, I tried a Pro out of curiosity and it did not look bigger than my 40mm Hamilton, but quite bigger than my 39mm reduced)
Edited:

I would never buy the reduced as it has a piggyback chrono module. I took mine to 4 local watchmakers in Chicago, none of them would touch it, saying it was meant to be replaced and not serviced. I sent it to Omega for service ($650) and it had to go back to them 3 times before they got it right. The first time, I took the watch home and the chrono stopped working, took it back and the boutique claimed that I must have dropped it or something. Got it back the second time, this time I tested it in the boutique, and the chono stopped working. The third time, I think they got it right and they also refunded the service fee. I sold the watch immediately on ebay.

Any watch can have issues. I’ve had none with my reduced and it checks out well on my timegrapher. I would only buy a watch from someone with a return policy and immediately take it to your watchmaker to check out and test. If it’s got any issues, return it. I would also invest in a timegrapher as it allows you to easily get a quick read on a watch and also let’s you check the results pre and post service so you have a comparative and can go back to the watchmaker if the readings look off. Only costs $100+ so worth every penny when buying watches at these price points.

I had no issues with mine for years, and when it went in for service I really only wanted it refinished but thought it had been enough years to also warrant service. (it was an older watch I bought used and then owned for about 5 years). Compared to a normal movement, the reduced models with a Dubois dupraz movements should be considered disposable. It will last a long time out of the factory, but watch out when it comes time for service. It's a total cost cutting effort to lessen the cost of goods on a new watch without any real thought given to long term service.

There are lots of date models with the 7750 variant, just get one of those and it can be worked on by anyone.

thanks, ill now look at both

I have smaller wrists than you and have worn a regular sized Speedmaster Pro easily. If you wore a Sub, you can easily wear a Speedy Pro. Get it (or one of the slightly smaller variations like the First Omega in Space or 60th Anniversary edition) any day over the old automatic versions.

Thanks Donn, ill look into that

The only model you mentioned that is actually a Speedmaster e=reduced is the "standard one which looks more like a shrunken Speedmaster Pro", and the others are all Speedmaster date models.

The Speedmaster reduced uses a modular chronograph movement, and it has no date. The other models are based on the ETA 7750, and your servicing options are much more varied with those, then with the reduced. If I were choosing between these models, it would be a Speedmaster date model of some kind every time.

Thanks Archer, ill look at those too

Another vote for the Speedmaster Reduced having the most disinformation on the internet of any watch ever made.

I was in a similar boat. My wrists are much smaller than yours and initially I had wrote of the speedy pro as a watch I would always love from afar but was never for me due to its 42mm size. After trying one on in person I changed my mind. Sure its big but IMO not to the point where I felt it looked ridiculous. When I tried it on my wife felt the same way. I am starting to believe a watch being "too big" or "too small" based on wrist size is more in our heads than anything. Here is a photo for reference. Again my wrists are MUCH smaller than yours.

Thanks The Greek - that looks fine, even on your smaller wrist