Advice on Speedmaster 145.022

Hi everyone - I have been looking at a speedy recently and the world of speedy is really quite confusing so I thought I may try here for more advice.

I'm pretty much settled that I want a 861 calibre speedy and this is one that I've found at a dealer's. I have gone and try it on and in person I think that it looks great (the last two photos are my own while the others are product shots from the dealer).

Here's the information that I've been given:
  • Circa 1980s
  • White Chapter Ring
  • 42mm Stainless Steel Case
  • Fixed Black Tachymetre Bezel
  • Stainless Steel Pushers
  • Caliber 861
  • 20mm Lugs
  • Omega Stainless Steel 1479 Speedmaster Clasp Bracelet, 812 Endlinks
Asking price is around US$4700 but I believe there may be some room for negotiation. I've done a preliminary search and it seems to be a good price? However please do let me know if you don't think so!

Does this all look correct and are there any red flags? What do you guys think about the price? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you OF for the space.

Hands are luminova service parts. Not a huge red flag but over time you'll notice the contrast with the dial's patina and it might bother you. If you look around a bit more you'll find a more original 80's example around that price. Or call out the service hands and offer $4k and see where that gets you. Good luck!

I know that the Speedy with 861 are in demand but with the increase of the parity Euro - USD I think 4.7K it's still a little high. I also think that you should negotiate a little.

Looking at the accumulated dirt in the bracelet, I also doubt it is serviced... No mention of box & papers either. So I feel 4.7 is too much.

Looking at the accumulated dirt in the bracelet, I also doubt it is serviced... No mention of box & papers either. So I feel 4.7 is too much.

Can you realistically expect to get box and papers with a 40-year-old watch ?

On a 80s watch at around 5k, why not. For example a dealer near me has a complete speedy set from the 70s at 6.6k.

If you ask the top end of the price bracket you have to deliver something, and it is the details and extra mile that cost.

Seems like a very average example in all respects, with service parts as noted above. Nothing special, but nothing terrible either. If you are more comfortable buying from a dealer and don't mind paying a premium price, then go right ahead.

Looks nice enough. You'll need to factor in a proper service not just an 'oil change' if there's no documented history.

On a 80s watch at around 5k, why not. For example a dealer near me has a complete speedy set from the 70s at 6.6k.

If you ask the top end of the price bracket you have to deliver something, and it is the details and extra mile that cost.

Fair enough. To me $4.7 did not sound too bad, but now I'm wondering at what point should a vintage Speedmaster cost more than a brand new one?

How about a pre-moon at $5.5K, like that one for example? Sure it's not perfect, but it's the same price as a new one at retail. For about $5k, would you rather buy new or get a pre-moon? Personally I prefer whitish loom on the Speedy and I not a vintage guy, but from an investment's perspective, I imagine pre-moons have more potential. So where do you expect to find parity between new and vintage in terms of price?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/xpyk4l/wts_vintage_omega_speedmaster_professional/

red 1.jpeg
Edited:

Fair enough. To me $4.7 did not sound too bad, but now I'm wondering at what point should a vintage Speedmaster cost more than a brand new one?

How about a pre-moon at $5.5K, like that one for example? Sure it's not perfect, but it's the same price as a new one at retail. For about $5k, would you rather buy new or get a pre-moon? Personally I prefer whitish loom on the Speedy and I not a vintage guy, but from an investment's perspective, I imagine pre-moons have more potential. So where do you expect to find parity between new and vintage in terms of price?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/xpyk4l/wts_vintage_omega_speedmaster_professional/

red 1.jpeg
The supply of vintage Speedmasters is limited and becoming more so with each passing year. Not so for the modern versions. For me, tritium dials and hand sets, step dials, unique case backs (e.g, No NASA, Straight Writing, etc.) flat link bracelets, and dates of manufacture that coincide with the moon missions are what the Speedmaster is all about. Give me vintage over modern every time.

The supply of vintage Speedmasters is limited and becoming more so with each passing year. Not so for the modern versions. For me, tritium dials and hand sets, step dials, unique case backs (e.g, No NASA, Straight Writing, etc.) flat link bracelets, and dates of manufacture that coincide with the moon missions are what the Speedmaster is all about. Give me vintage over modern every time.

Unfortunately, preserving tritium is tricky and you never know what it's gonna turn into. Eventually, it will probably end up like paint on Ancient Greek statues, all gone. You buy your perfect vintage Speedy today with amazing matching tritium hands and dial. Then, two years later the tritium starts to flake and you are bummed...
Edited:

red 1.jpeg

Personally I am a step dial pre moon guy. Price wise it is another wholly different rabbit hole. Speedmaster101 website is to be consulted, most of the answers to any question are there.

Unfortunately, preserving tritium is tricky and you never know what it's gonna turn into. Eventually, it will probably end up like paint on Ancient Greek statues, all gone.
Perhaps, but I’d say that the tritium on my 50 year old 145.022 is holding up rather well.
227A7704-1086-49A5-BBCA-FF09B1CD446B.jpeg

My preference will always be something that closely resembles the era of the moon landings. More recent (mid ‘90s) tritium dial examples with an 861 movement are really good options as nice condition watches are obviously more plentiful than earlier variants. It’s down to personal opinion but I want a watch with character and tritium ageing ticks that box for me - stepped dial and pre NASA/ SW caseback even better but nice examples are rare and hence reflected in the price.

Thanks so much everyone and especially for pointing out the replacement hands!

I think I will try to see how far I can negotiate the price….!

No brainer on the watch recommended above. Go get it already!
Edited:

No brainer on the watch recommended above. Go get already!
Agreed. This watch is a much better deal. It’s recently serviced by a top watchmaker, has a warranty, and it’s less expensive than the watch that the OP is considering. Easy decision.