Advice on a 145.012 Speedie

Hi Folks thanks for reading my first post.

It's my first foray into vintage omega and hoping to gather your thoughts on the following piece. I hope to be a regular on the board as I continue to grow my knowledge and collection.

So I've come across this 145.012 that's piqued my interest. The bezel and hands are service. But to me the price is suitable to recognise these omissions. So I'm keen to take it further.

From my own non-expert assessment:
1. Case back 1967
2. Serial 2732xxxx dates to 1968 or 1969 depending on site (I recognise 145.012/321 only ran to 1968)
3. Dial looks period correct and nice specimen
4. Bezel could be anything between 70s to mid 90s estimate 80s from condition.
5. Hands look later than bezel from the lume but doesn't bother me (I'll look to replace this along with bezel if the opportunity arises)
6. Bracelet 1039 with 516 end links clasp folds are gen but actual clasp not pictured is non-gen. I'm a strap kind of guy anyway.

Are your thoughts aligned or is there something I'm missing here?

I'm somewhat concerned that the serial is later than case back but I also understand from collecting other vintage brands this can happen. Should I be worried? Could this be a seamaster movement?

The case and pushers/crown do they look ok for a 145.012? I can see the bottom pusher will require adjustment/repair.

Any other feedback appreciated. Thanks!1.jpeg 2.jpg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg

Dial relumed, IMHO
Hands service, trotteuse probably wrong
DNN bezel
Service crown?
Band not original, I should be a 1039 from 68, or a 1116 with 575 end links
The end links are correct.

Cheers

Like 3
The bezel isn't 70's, it's post mid 90's.
The case has also been refinished. I assume this watch has been back to Omega at some point for a full refurb. Probably in the last 20 years, if not fairly recently.

Like 3
If you hope to source the proper hands and bezel to make it look “period correct” don’t bother buying this, no matter how cheap it may seem — the odds of finding quality parts that don’t cost an arm and a leg are getting lower and lower every year. It’s a recipe for disappointment and regret. Just keep searching for one with the proper parts (and be ready to pay more).

If on the other hand you are happy with incorrect parts and the price is low enough to reflect this, it could be a nice watch to wear daily. Just realize that if you want to sell it down the line, few collectors will want it.

I would rather have a nice tritium 3590.50 than that watch… IMO you get none of the benefits of a 321 vintage speedmaster with all of the service parts and all of the negatives (servicing a 321 movement with minimal parts availability).

Like 1
I wouldn't get much joy from that watch that has so little of its original charm. You might be able to negotiate to the point where the price makes sense for the parts, but I wouldn't be thinking about this as a watch to restore. Instead, think about how much you'd be paying after selling the bracelet, and whether you'd enjoy wearing it for that price.

If you hope to source the proper hands and bezel to make it look “period correct” don’t bother buying this, no matter how cheap it may seem — the odds of finding quality parts that don’t cost an arm and a leg are getting lower and lower every year. It’s a recipe for disappointment and regret. Just keep searching for one with the proper parts (and be ready to pay more).

If on the other hand you are happy with incorrect parts and the price is low enough to reflect this, it could be a nice watch to wear daily. Just realize that if you want to sell it down the line, few collectors will want it.
I'm more interested in having something I can wear than fixing this jigsaw that is more of a pipe dream.

I'm more interested in having something I can wear than fixing this jigsaw that is more of a pipe dream.

As others have said, you should also consider the issues with servicing the cal. 321 in the future as parts become harder and harder to get. If this was an 861 movement, I’d have a lot fewer reservations about getting it. But with a 321…

Like 1
Unless a 321 is an absolute must, I'd recommend getting a very good -71 which retains the step dial and can often be found with very nice tritium lume plots for the same price.

Like 4
I would pass and get an better (more expensive) example to avoid the hassle of trying to source matching parts.

Like 1

Take that $5k and get something from the 70s (71 if you can find one, as Davidt mentioned). For $5k range you could probably even find a 1969 DNN in nice condition.

Thanks all for providing feedback. I was especially interested in getting one of the last 321s but I'm surprised most are saying avoid. I'd have thought a 321 would be every omega collectors' desire?

Thanks all for providing feedback. I was especially interested in getting one of the last 321s but I'm surprised most are saying avoid. I'd have thought a 321 would be every omega collectors' desire?
The reason you are being guided to an 861 IMO is servicing is a lot easier than it is with a 321. Not everyone can do a 321 well, not all parts are available, service costs are higher and it will most likely take longer too (because those that can do 321's have a line usually). Thats why, for pure wearing enjoyment, an 861 is often recommended for a first vintage Speedy.

Like 5
Another thought: compared to a modern Ed White with 321 that costs between 16 and 18k, this is a steal. It won't ever be a collector's watch, but it's a serviced 321. The newness of the parts won't compete with a vintage 321, but the appearance competes with a new Ed White, absent the case.

It could be a fun watch to wear.

There's always a way to justify buying a watch :D

Like 5