Forums Latest Members
  1. HunterJ Jun 17, 2020

Hi everyone,

While obsessively continuing my quest for my first omega vintage, I came across this Seamaster Calendar, cal. 503, and would appreciate the expertise of other members on whether it looks legit. From the online research I 've done so far I can't see anything that doesn't add up but i'm still far from having confidence in my abilities.. The seller doesn't include a picture of the inside of the caseback, but based on some identically looking examples I found online it looks like a Seamaster Calendar - 2849 5SC.

Apologies if the photos are not the best, I have copy pasted from the listing.

Asking price is 650 euro but seller is open to offers.

Many thanks in advance

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. Maskelyne Jun 17, 2020

I enhanced your picture and the watch is genuine. But the dial looks dirty, with scratches and fingerprints. Or is it on the crystal?

Omega.jpg

SurvivingJoe and Passover like this.
  3. HunterJ Jun 17, 2020

Many thanks for the reply @Maskelyne
    Not too sure to be honest.. If on the dial, the scratches I think I can live with. For the dirty part, it seems more prominent on some of the pictures compared to others. Would that be something that could be improved/cleaned (without messing with the dial's originality)?

4. Maskelyne Jun 17, 2020

I have personally cleaned and ruined a vintage dial and will therefore never ever try do so again. Dust and durt which is possible to remove easily, without damaging the dial is okay. If the above watch have those damages and a fingerprint on the dial, I recommend you to seek for a better one.

And if it is possible to clean the dial, that will in most cases ruin the vintage apperance and the dial will look un-natural. The reason why we do like old watches is the vintage apperance. :)

5. apsm100 applysome! Jun 17, 2020

Looks all correct.
    The dial aging to me is unattractive. Those do look like scuffs on the dial. Case is also too polished as its lost its shape and facet sharpness.
    I think the price is mostly fair, but I would not be a buyer.

6. HunterJ Jun 17, 2020

Totally agree on the vintage appearance. Silly question maybe: how do you get a permanent fingerprint mark on the dial? ::confused2::

7. HunterJ Jun 17, 2020

Many thanks for your comments. I tend to agree, I only considered it because on some of the pictures it looked better, so thought it might be worth giving it a chance of the price was attractive enough.

Any comments on the movement?