Forums Latest Members
  1. Wivac Terribly special Mar 14, 2019

Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to look out for in a Safe? Will be for jewel...who am I kidding, it will be for watches.

It's something I've had on my list of things to source for a while now, then I recently came across a now defunct insurance policy from a few years ago which stated watches / jewellery over a certain amount, even though specified on the cover, would not be covered unless in a safe while asleep / not in residence etc so that got me thinking again.

So asking the Brain Trust directly, any advice on makes / brands , things to look out for, or things to avoid would be aces. I'm only after a small one for a few pieces, just no idea where to start with this.

Ta
    Wiv

bank-safe.jpg

whippetman01 likes this.
  2. Braindrain Mar 14, 2019

Ask a professional safe dealer where you live. Keep in mind you've just gathered all your watches into one obvious place for burglars. It better be able to handle it.

Heavy and bolted down.

3. Omegafanman Mar 14, 2019

I would also check with the insurance company as with door locks they sometimes specify what regulations it needs to meet. Any well hidden wall mounted basic safe should be good for stopping opportunists and amateurs, especially if they have set any alarm off. Different story if they know you have something and it is planned. You need to try and avoid that. Some fire protection might also be good - that might be a bigger risk but they are not cheap.

02.jpg
    The Father, kkt and Wivac like this.
  4. Wivac Terribly special Mar 14, 2019

There's not much in the way of a local ' professional safe dealer' round here hence the query. From earlier research I have a couple of locations in mind to fit it, now looking for an idea on what to go for as I'm assuming, as with any industry, there are makes not to go for.

As @Omegafanman just mentioned, fire rated safes are another thing. Good call on the insurance regs, will dig out the paper work, may be a good starting point.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. Omegafanman Mar 14, 2019

A bit of a wild card but if the insurance company are not too fussy you could also look at gun safes. Might be a cheaper option and give you more space options, plus maybe second hand options as well. You probably have a sporting gun shop in the area?

amiriqbal and Wivac like this.
  6. Wivac Terribly special Mar 14, 2019

Ah, should point out I'm in the UK, may possibly be some kind of gun shop in the area, will have a look.

7. Omegafanman Mar 14, 2019

That is a good thing...….less chance the burglar has been to the gun shop as well :0)

Wivac likes this.
  8. connieseamaster Mar 14, 2019

Pick something too heavy to carry, or bolt it into a structural part of the house. A safe the size of a laptop can be moved and cracked later. A 300# document safe strapped to a few wall joists is a bit harder to move.

The Father, Omegafanman and Wivac like this.
  9. Omegafanman Mar 14, 2019

It is a good point but sadly that does not save cashpoints :0)

beamatm3.jpg
    kkt likes this.
  10. Dave london Mar 15, 2019

An ex copper gave me a tip, if you have a safe and your burgled and they can't crack it your probably going to get a visit late one night when your in from the same robber armed up to do you an injury. Best bet is a steel box that you can fit under the floor boards in a corner if you have them, cover with carpet and bobs you uncle. There was a case in Kent where the robbers poured boiling water over a guys wife till he gave the combination.

ericmtl, The Father, mblease and 3 others like this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 15, 2019

Over the wife? Shit pour away, just don't hurt me.

12. i20rider Mar 15, 2019

Hidden is always good.. if they don't know it's there they can't take it.

Also don't hire anybody to install it have a friend help you

Omegafanman and Emeister like this.
  13. Omegafanman Mar 16, 2019

I put the note below up on another thread but I agree.....when people know stuff and can plan = bad times.... keep it under the radar when you can and use common sense....

While enjoying our hobby it is good to keep safe and a weather eye open (accepting that sometimes sh-t happens whatever). The reported story below shows sometimes trouble will find you if you advertise for it...…..
    ''Thieves used a 'rammit' device - the type used by police - to force the door, ran into the house demanding money and shouting: 'Where's the Rolex?'…the persons partner had previously advertised a Rolex watch for sale on the internet''

14. TDBK Mar 17, 2019

First, decide if you want a safe. As others have noted, a safe doesn't protect against all threats and may increase some risk by advertising that you have something worth stealing, etc. However, they can be an effective control against opportunistic thieves, from a contractor with sticky fingers to low-skill burglars, or if used in conjunction with an alarm system can delay thieves enough for alarm response to be effective.

As to selecting a safe, there are industry ratings; see, for example, UL ratings. Any safe which doesn't have a rating is probably garbage. Many of them can literally be opened with a steak knife; it may be good enough to keep an honest person honest, but nothing more.

Omegafanman likes this.
  15. corn18 Mar 17, 2019

Buy a small safe, put it in the closet, under the bed or in a drawer. Put some stuff in it that sounds valuable when rattled. Then put the valuable stuff under a floor board or somewhere hidden. The premise is once they find the safe, they will stop looking as hard.

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 17, 2019

Sensible advice. My father ran a business for many years in a not totally salubrious area. He left a small cash box with some petty cash unlocked and in plain sight. On the odd occasion when opportunistic burglars hit his office they were in and out pretty damned quickly and generally grabbed the cash box and left without tearing the office to pieces.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 17, 2019

just know that your insurance company will not reimburse if you cannot prove you collection was under lock and key.

18. TDBK Mar 17, 2019

Another possible function for a safe, be it good or bad:

Suspected burglar found crushed to death under 900-pound safe in victim's home