Adventures in strap making

Posts
11,005
Likes
54,966
Very kind comments @Walrus but you left out the best part... The amount of travel that your roll and pouches covered before you finally received them.

Working on a Levis strap now.
Yes I know @Duracuir1 fine leather goods that package traveled more than when I was running from the FBI and the Mounties. Still feel dumb but we were moving so I mixed up addresses and zip codes. I was amazed and am amazed the pagage made it at all. Funny looking back now, not at the time though.
 
Posts
1,076
Likes
1,787
I also agree with the comments regarding the watch rolls, I love the look and quality that I had to have 2 and would love a 3rd!
Edited:
 
Posts
3,652
Likes
24,761
At risk of polluting this fine thread with my shoddy craftsmanship, here is my first official strap. I can assure you that it looks even worse in person. 😁



I've got endless amounts of things to work on, but it's a start!

Thanks to @Duracuir1 for pointing me in the right direction and helping to get me started! Hopefully, I'll have some better examples to share in the near future.
 
Posts
1,077
Likes
4,454
At risk of polluting this fine thread with my shoddy craftsmanship, here is my first official strap. I can assure you that it looks even worse in person. 😁



I've got endless amounts of things to work on, but it's a start!

Thanks to @Duracuir1 for pointing me in the right direction and helping to get me started! Hopefully, I'll have some better examples to share in the near future.
If I can ever find some time, I’m going to join you in your new endeavor. @Duracuir1 and @DaveK have inspired me as well. Congrats on your first strap!
 
Posts
5,076
Likes
15,712
At risk of polluting this fine thread with my shoddy craftsmanship, here is my first official strap. I can assure you that it looks even worse in person. 😁



I've got endless amounts of things to work on, but it's a start!

Thanks to @Duracuir1 for pointing me in the right direction and helping to get me started! Hopefully, I'll have some better examples to share in the near future.

It’s a great start 👍 Sewing elegantly takes time. You can mark 100 feet of stitching lines on some scrap leather and practice for a few weeks, that’ll get you over the hurdle
 
Posts
3,652
Likes
24,761
It’s a great start 👍 Sewing elegantly takes time. You can mark 100 feet of stitching lines on some scrap leather and practice for a few weeks, that’ll get you over the hurdle

Yeah, I got in a hurry - thread is too thick, template slipped on me when punching holes, scriving was uneven, etc.

As you suggest, I'll have to take a step back and practice the stitching especially.
Edited:
 
Posts
5,076
Likes
15,712
Finished making a replacement strap for my wife’s Dynamic today. The watch is at the watchmaker, so I’ll have to take it in tomorrow for a test fit. The original strap was tired, worn, and stretched from use, so it’s hard to tell if I got the shape just right. We shall see ☕.

The white leather was harvested from a thrift shop Coach purse. A pretty well made bag I have to say, I had to harvest the leather in a hurry so it stayed in the leather shop and didn’t enter my wife’s purse collection. The liner leather is Zermatt leather from France, which is an exceptional product for liners, that or pig skin. In between the two is a layer of a non-stretch product called velodon. A heated creaser makes nifty edges around the perimeter, and white edge paint finishes the look. Not bad for a first attempt. Ooops, I forgot to make a keeper, back to work 🤦

The watch is shown on the original Omega strap, the new strap is shorter to better fit my wife’s wrist

New strap on the right side


New strap on the right side


Watch in the original strap
 
Posts
1,077
Likes
4,454
Used today as a relaxing leather-harvesting day. A pair of my nearly 25 year-old Rockports were headed to the trash. Decided to keep the leather around for a future potential strap from the shoes that have carried me well for a metric-ton of miles. Before, during, and after pics…

 
Posts
5,076
Likes
15,712
Well, these are straps…for pocket watches. Just finished these two pocket watch belt pouches today. Hand cut, dyed, tooled, sewn and braided. Vegetable-tanned cow for the body, veg-tanned kangaroo for the lanyards.

 
Posts
4,015
Likes
45,112
Well, these are straps…for pocket watches. Just finished these two pocket watch belt pouches today. Hand cut, dyed, tooled, sewn and braided. Vegetable-tanned cow for the body, veg-tanned kangaroo for the lanyards.

Very cool, me like it 😀
 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
Just finished making these 20/18 125/75 straps with Pueblo Sapphire Blue leather, Velodon reinforcement (for the lug ends), Salpa reinforcement to make the straps thicker, and calh skin grey leather as the liner. The stitching is ftom RMLS Masterfil waxed linen thread, 0.45mm.
 
Posts
3,452
Likes
35,217
Just finished making these 20/18 125/75 straps with Pueblo Sapphire Blue leather, Velodon reinforcement (for the lug ends), Salpa reinforcement to make the straps thicker, and calh skin grey leather as the liner. The stitching is ftom RMLS Masterfil waxed linen thread, 0.45mm.
Jim, this is the finest you’ve shown. Well-done.

And like DaveK, CalgaryJim is a gentleman. (In case OF members hit him up for a strap).
 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
Jim, this is the finest you’ve shown. Well-done.

And like DaveK, CalgaryJim is a gentleman. (In case OF members hit him up for a strap).
Thanks very much Steve!
I don't have any plans to start selling any, at least at this point, because even now every set of straps is fraught with stress on my part, so easy for me to make simple mistakes for tasks I've done over and over and over. I'm hoping by the end of the year the simple tasks become second nature.
 
Posts
191
Likes
84
@Duracuir1 do you sell?! I'd love to support any OF members that make straps. I am trying to create a small collection of them for any future watches I restore. ABSOLUTELY love all the work on this thread. Lordy some skill in here!
 
Posts
3,452
Likes
35,217
@Duracuir1 do you sell?! I'd love to support any OF members that make straps. I am trying to create a small collection of them for any future watches I restore. ABSOLUTELY love all the work on this thread. Lordy some skill in here!
Not much. I have opened my shop to the public (3 days a week) and if you look at the photo, it’s more of a hangout and museum.

I do local repairs and some of my own creations. A couple Saturdays ago I had visits from two watch collectors in a row. I did not know them but they saw a few of my straps and I did some work for them.

This past Saturday we had a nice visit from Archer and his beautiful wife. We had dinner together at the shop.

No… not much work and that is perfect for me! An old school bike helmet that I am making from scratch.

The boxing gloves needed fixing. They fit right in with the look. I make a few belts every week.

And I design my own backpacks and once they sell, I make another. Each one is different.




But I don’t take special orders for backpacks. They are my artwork. This way I make them at my own pace, without someone breathing down my neck.

Thank you for the nice comments.
Edited:
 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
Not much. I have opened my shop to the public (3 days a week) and if you look at the photo, it’s more of a hangout and museum.

I do local repairs and some of my own creations. A couple Saturdays ago I had visits from two watch collectors in a row. I did not know them but they saw a few of my straps and I did some work for them.

This past Saturday we had a nice visit from Archer and his beautiful wife. We had dinner together at the shop.

No… not much work and that is perfect for me! An old school bike helmet that I am making from scratch.

The boxing gloves needed fixing. They fit right in with the look. I make a few belts every week.

And I design my own backpacks and once they sell, I make another. Each one is different.




But I don’t take special orders for backpacks. They are my artwork. This way I make them at my own pace, without someone breathing down my neck.

Thank you for the nice comments.
What a great looking hangout Steve!
 
Posts
117
Likes
61
I have to admit that I found inspiration in this thread and started a new hobby after I purchased some cheap tools from Temu.
I really like the part that it is recycled leather from old purses I found in the thrifties.

I have not painted the edges (but not sure if I want to tbh).