Admiralty dial restoration

Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm wondering if this Admiralty dial can be brought back to life or if it's possible to source a dial.

Thanks very much

Eric

Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm wondering if this Admiralty dial can be brought back to life or if it's possible to source a dial.

Thanks very much

Eric
I have seen some dials pop up. Very very rarely though. Imo that dial is quite toast and would have to be heavily refinished to be brought back to life, or you can enjoy it as is. If you dont own it already id search for a better example.

As the dial is so poor I’d consider having a good watchmaker try to remove then reapply the lacquer. High risk as I believe it often removes the text but with this dial what do you have to lose?

There are some people who would find this attractive, I would just sell it as is and cut bait (if you don’t find it attractive) and find a better one as they do come up. If you redial or try to work on it, you will only damage any value left in its originality further.

I have seen some dials pop up. Very very rarely though. Imo that dial is quite toast and would have to be heavily refinished to be brought back to life, or you can enjoy it as is. If you dont own it already id search for a better example.

Thank you. I bought it at "parts" price, so I can afford to invest in restoration or wait to locate a dial

As the dial is so poor I’d consider having a good watchmaker try to remove then reapply the lacquer. High risk as I believe it often removes the text but with this dial what do you have to lose?
Much appreciated. I wonder if any of the gray could be cleaned up avoiding the printed areas

There are some people who would find this attractive, I would just sell it as is and cut bait (if you don’t find it attractive) and find a better one as they do come up. If you redial or try to work on it, you will only damage any value left in its originality further.
Thank you for the advice. I don't have it in hand yet but will have to assess if I can live with it when I see it on my wrist. I have one old omega seamaster with a shot dial I enjoy wearing just for the "restoration hardware" aesthetic

Thank you for the advice. I don't have it in hand yet but will have to assess if I can live with it when I see it on my wrist. I have one old omega seamaster with a shot dial I enjoy wearing just for the "restoration hardware" aesthetic
If anything, the patina is even…and it’s a look.

If anything, the patina is even…and it’s a look.
Good observation. I'm hoping there's some integrity to the printing. The Anchor looks fuzzy so I am concerned there was past water damage

Would it matter which Admiralty dial? I've seen at least 3 on this model

Good observation. I'm hoping there's some integrity to the printing. The Anchor looks fuzzy so I am concerned there was past water damage
Oh, there was water ingress no doubt, that’s how this stuff happens. The hope is that the movement has been serviced since then and it didn’t just end up in a drawer after it flooded.

Oh, there was water ingress no doubt, that’s how this stuff happens. The hope is that the movement has been serviced since then and it didn’t just end up in a drawer after it flooded.

Is this a common lacquered metal dial? Not sure of the nomenclature

You can always send it to Omega for repair. Due to its vintage state they will most likely send it to their headquarters in Switzerland, it typically takes them about a month before they’ll tell you that it needs to be sent out to Switzerland and repairs start at $750 plus. You could potentially find parts for it secondhand, although it will take more time it will probably be less expensive. Although, if you send it to Omega, you will know that it’s all authentic parts and fully serviced, with the two-year service warranty. This is how the service process goes in the US, I’m not sure where you are based. I hope this helps (I am a new member and I have not seen too many post about having Omega do the work. Please let me know if this is the incorrect place!)

I think most members would strongly recommend against sending to Omega......

I think most members would strongly recommend against sending to Omega.....
I’m a new member; may I ask why, or do you mind explaining to me? Did something happen?

I’m a new member; may I ask why, or do you mind explaining to me? Did something happen?
In broad terms, Omega restore rather than preserve older watches. They will replace any parts they consider necessary to offer their warranty on the work they do.

This anathema to owners who want to retain damage/degradation/patina (choose whichever applies in your opinion).

For others who would prefer a watch to look as near to showroom fresh as feasible, maybe that's not as important.

At the end of the day, it's your watch and your cash so it's your decision.

That dial is pretty far gone. If you can’t find a suitable vintage replacement dial, this watch might be a candidate for work at Omega. I checked and the dial for this is no longer available, so Omega would do a dial restoration if you sent it to them. I guess it really depends on what you want in the end, but since you are already talking about a restoration, this might be an option to consider.

Note that the dial would be stripped completely and refinished, so none of the original printing would be left.

Cheers, Al