Forums Latest Members

Adjusting the 3861 Bracelet - Help

1. donvag Apr 20, 2021

Hi folks,

I just spent the better part of an hour trying to unscrew/remove the links from a 3861 bracelet, and i've been unsuccessful so far. I have a little screwdriver that I believe is adequate for the job, but I can't seem to unscrew any of the screws holding the links together.

Am I missing something? Why is this so hard?

If I am not successful by Friday, I'll just get the the folks at the Omega Boutique near me to do it for me.

(Full disclosure - yes, I am fitting the 3861 bracelet to my 1861).

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2021

Did you apply any heat?

redpcar likes this.
  3. donvag Apr 20, 2021

I have not. I'll try that tonight and report back.

4. SkunkPrince Apr 20, 2021

If you have rubber-jawed vise, clamp the bracelet in the vise. It'll help. Trying to hold it with one hand and applying force with the screwdriver with the other is difficult at best, and puts stabbing yourself in the hand within the realm of "likely".

5. OmegaFan503 Apr 20, 2021

Make sure you have a decent screwdriver as well. It makes all the difference!

This is the one that I am using

IMG_20210420_194819.jpg
    Major74, nicolamilton and donvag like this.
  6. s2000_driver Apr 20, 2021

They are very tight. I find that using a Bergeon drum barrel screwdriver helps. Or you can use a hair dryer to help loosen the loctite.

7. kcgunner Apr 21, 2021

I've had to use a heat gun on my 300m before. It would be almost impossible without a good about of heat or a lot of force. Don't risk stripping your screw or damaging your bracelet. If you can't get it off with a little heat, take it in and have someone do it.

donvag likes this.
  8. Mac-427 Apr 21, 2021

I've stopping adjusting bracelets because inevitably I scratch them. I'd suggest you take it to the boutique.

donvag likes this.
  9. abgul Apr 21, 2021

This. Just take and they do for free. Done once and you are done.

donvag likes this.
  10. donvag Apr 21, 2021

Agreed. I think I'll just take it to the Boutique. The bracelet is not too scratched up yet, but i've def applied some Hulk-like pressure trying to unscrew some the these bad boys. I will limit the damage while I can.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Eddy350 likes this.
  11. Evitzee Apr 21, 2021

I don't know why people think the boutique staff are better at adjusting a bracelet than doing it yourself. They are often less competent (and caring) than the owner is of his own property. Have the proper screwdriver, and confidence, and it's no big deal. To me it is a skill that every collector should master.

titan7 and avidmark like this.
  12. donvag Apr 21, 2021

Fair point, but I imagine they've done this more times than I have.

I've sized other bracelets before (Tudor, Rolex 1603, Uncle Seiko, Forstner's flatlink). I guess the screws from the 3861 are on ridiculously tight.

13. nicolamilton Apr 21, 2021

1,4 mm good screwdriver, or it will be a mess.
    I did it last week and was easy job.

Edited Nov 10, 2021
    donvag likes this.
  14. SkunkPrince Apr 21, 2021

The tools make all the difference. The boutique likely has a clamp for the bracelet that also has a guide for the screwdriver so it can't jump out of the slot.

15. anselmw Apr 21, 2021

I agree this is the one I used to adjust mine and broke the thread lock fairly easily.
    [​IMG]

donvag likes this.
  16. 502 to right Apr 21, 2021

I adjusted the bracelet on my Aqua Terra. Thankfully I had heard from Jenni Elle that it was going to be a bear so I was ready with plenty of heat, gloves, and a proper screwdriver. By far the most locked down screws I've ever encountered in a watch bracelet.

17. Major74 Apr 21, 2021

Can't speak for the 3861 bracelet but on my 1861 bracelet, I used heat and boiling water and I f***ed the screws right up by not using the right screw driver. Close enough isn't good enough for omega screws.
    I ordered a Wiha 1.8mm screw driver and spare screws then it was a piece of cake. Lesson learnt...I was just being impatient as I didn't have the right screwdriver initially. Right tool for the job makes all the differences.

Had I bothered to research how cumbersome sourcing the replacement screws and the cost of the screws were before the job, I would have found the patience.

One for my "Stupid things I did" bank.

ahartfie and nicolamilton like this.
  18. AviF Nov 9, 2021

Is it 1.8 or 1.6? My set has only 1.6

19. AlphaToOmega Nov 10, 2021

The screws are glued in and if you apply heat the glue reduces in strength. Buy a jet lighter for the job. Heat the area and try again. Should do the job.

20. Mac-427 Nov 10, 2021

I stopped adjusting my bracelets because I inevitably scratched them during the process. I'd rather spend 30 or 40 bucks and get a perfect job from a professional with the right tools.