AD Discount (wondering how I did)

Just picked up (still incoming) a blue wave Seamaster on the bracelet. I was originally planning to buy one pre-owned from a trusted seller, and had a few contenders lined up, but decided to go to my local AD to try one on first. I ended up loving it in the metal and decided it couldn't hurt to see what they'd offer off retail. (This was for the white one, but then while I was negotiating, I realized I was way more drawn to the blue.) The SA went to the back to talk to her manager and came back with 6%---in other words to negate my Maryland sales tax. I thanked them politely and sincerely---understand they have a business to run and things are tight (she mentioned a slowing in production and depleted inventory), but I walked. Just can't justify paying full retail for a watch I can get in new condition with warranty from a TS for $1k off.

I decided to go home and call around to some other ADs in- and out-of-state with whom I have a relationship, and I ended up finding one that had the watch in stock and that offered me 12%---plus there'd be no tax, so net to me in real terms, it's 18%. That made the difference between getting the watch from a TS (who would not move on price; I checked) and getting it brand new from an AD just a couple hundred bucks. To me it was worth it to get to be the original owner.

Is 12% off pretty decent for right now? I've read about folks getting > 20%, but maybe that's for other models or for folks with bigger spend histories. (Mine, with this AD, was about 20k, and honestly I'm not even sure that impacted what they offered me.)

Every deal is different so no one can say if you could have done better at this moment. If you are happy with the price that's all that matters. Enjoy the watch and forget the price.

And legally, you owe your state's taxing authority the 6% tax. Various states have reciprocal agreements where they report high value out-of-state purchases to the delivery address's taxing authority. But you are supposed to remit the sales tax on your own, the MD state website will have the relevant form.
Edited:

Just picked up (still incoming) a blue wave Seamaster on the bracelet. I was originally planning to buy one pre-owned from a trusted seller, and had a few contenders lined up, but decided to go to my local AD to try one on first. I ended up loving it in the metal and decided it couldn't hurt to see what they'd offer off retail. (This was for the white one, but then while I was negotiating, I realized I was way more drawn to the blue.) The SA went to the back to talk to her manager and came back with 6%---in other words to negate my Maryland sales tax. I thanked them politely and sincerely---understand they have a business to run and things are tight (she mentioned a slowing in production and depleted inventory), but I walked. Just can't justify paying full retail for a watch I can get in new condition with warranty from a TS for $1k off.

I decided to go home and call around to some other ADs in- and out-of-state with whom I have a relationship, and I ended up finding one that had the watch in stock and that offered me 12%---plus there'd be no tax, so net to me in real terms, it's 18%. That made the difference between getting the watch from a TS (who would not move on price; I checked) and getting it brand new from an AD just a couple hundred bucks. To me it was worth it to get to be the original owner.

Is 12% off pretty decent for right now? I've read about folks getting > 20%, but maybe that's for other models or for folks with bigger spend histories. (Mine, with this AD, was about 20k, and honestly I'm not even sure that impacted what they offered me.)

I don't know if the Blue Angels F-18 in your avatar means you are a veteran but I got my Seamaster through AAFES with a 37% discount a few weeks ago.

I don't know if the Blue Angels F-18 in your avatar means you are a veteran but I got my Seamaster through AAFES with a 37% discount a few weeks ago.
Wow, that's awesome!
Being a vet has gotta have some benefits, given the risks you take when you serve. I'm a former serviceman myself but unfortunately where I am, there's no equivalent to AAFES with big discounts on Omega. I heard that back in the day, PXes used to even sell Rolex. This air force vet got a Daytona from a PX that's now worth a heap:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/rol...now-worth-up-to-700000-antiques-roadshow.html

Well if you are a former U.S. serviceman you can order online through AAFES no matter where you are (I think). I bought mine online.

I picked up a new Planet Ocean 45mm chrono from my local AD earlier this summer and 12% is what I got. 6% is more like what you would get at an actual Omega Boutique for older, not so hot selling models. I know folks mention discounts like 20% and more but I've never been able to negotiate that. If it's even true, I suspect it's some kind of gray market dealer and not a legit AD. I could be wrong but getting 20% to 30% off on a brand new watch at a legit AD seems awfully generous to me given the current state of things. (i.e. Everyone flush with free money and limited supply of goods versus current demand - at least in the U.S.)

Well if you are a former U.S. serviceman you can order online through AAFES no matter where you are (I think). I bought mine online.
Sorry, I should clarify that I'm not former US military. I'm from Australia.

Appreciate the replies. I work with/for the military but don’t get the discounts. But for 37%—! Might have to call in a favor with one of my vet friends. 😀

And point taken re: sales tax.

To be clear, I’m quite happy with 12%. Was just wondering if that’s a typical discount as I don’t have much frame of reference

Just checked out the AAFES pricing for the Seamaster 300m—blue and black dial are out of stock but they have the gray one. $4,129, which is a 20% discount. Not too shabby. And there’s no sale tax, of course.

Well deserved by those who qualify!

Appreciate the replies. I work with/for the military but don’t get the discounts. But for 37%—! Might have to call in a favor with one of my vet friends. 😀

To be clear, I’m quite happy with 12%. Was just wondering if that’s a typical discount as I don’t have much frame of reference
If you are at a base and go into the Exchange, do you need to show a military ID to shop there? I'm curious, as I'm at Quantico, PAX, etc. on a fairly regular basis, but have never stopped at one of the exchanges.

Every PX-BX I've been in required you to show ID. If you shop online you just have to send in your DD214 I think. I am not retired, just served in the Active Duty Army and Air Force Reserve and am currently an Air Force GS. I can't shop at the BX, only online.

Recently acquired this for £4000.
Retail price is £5560.
So whatever that % is?
PXL_20210823_171927944.jpg

I think you did great - effectively 18%? Excellent. 20% is the goal and the usual high-water mark for a new Omega...except for the super-rare and limited Speedies, PM models, etc.

And, like you said, you are its first owner, with your name on the cards and in the Omega database.

Congrats! Ben.

As a P.S. to this, the watch arrived today. (Obligatory wrist shot attached.) Love it, but had to add one link back in as the AD resized it for me just a tad too small. Could have made it work with the microadjust, but prefer not to do it that way if possible.

Holy hell, was that a pain! 😀 Once I watched a video and got the hang of it, with the tiny screws and the pins, it was manageable, but still an almost traumatizing, deeply unpleasant experience compared to all the other bracelet resizings I've done over the years. I'm sure there's been much ink spilled on this subject, and it doesn't make me love the watch any less---if anything, I feel like I had to earn its respect just now---but it did get me in a sweat.

I picked up a new Planet Ocean 45mm chrono from my local AD earlier this summer and 12% is what I got. 6% is more like what you would get at an actual Omega Boutique for older, not so hot selling models. I know folks mention discounts like 20% and more but I've never been able to negotiate that. If it's even true, I suspect it's some kind of gray market dealer and not a legit AD. I could be wrong but getting 20% to 30% off on a brand new watch at a legit AD seems awfully generous to me given the current state of things. (i.e. Everyone flush with free money and limited supply of goods versus current demand - at least in the U.S.)

I got a little over 20% discount on a Globemaster that just arrived here (AD in Maryland), Was also offerd 10% on a 3861 from another AD.

I got what amounted to a little under 10% off on a new 3861 moon watch with hesalite from an AD. I have never purchased anything from them before and I don't exactly look like someone who will be making regular high-end watch or jewelry purchases (I'm not). I went in ready to buy and told them I was ready to buy, and asked if they would be willing to offer a military discount (I'm a retired reservist, so I can't start shopping AAFES until I'm 60). We haggled a little and settled on a number I was happy with, which ultimately worked out to about 9.5% off of the "out the door" price when factoring-in the sales tax.

What is AAFES? Is this a military discount?