Forums Latest Members
  1. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

So for Christmas, my Grandfather decided that he would give me his old Seamaster.
    Now to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if this is even a watch I would ever wear, but it definitely has some obvious sentimental value.

So, as you can see in the pictures below, this watch has an inscription on the back that dates May 10th 1967 (my Grandfathers 40th birthday).
    Not knowing much about Seamasters, I started Googling (and searching here) for Seamasters produced around that time. But I never really saw anything that looked close to it (mainly because the "S" in Seamaster had a different shape and they all seemed to have baton hands and not the alpha hands. Also noted that the Ω was applied but Omega was not.

So I thought maybe the watch was actually a bit older than that or even possibly some sort of re-dial, but I did find a few early 60's Seamasters that seemed to have the same dial and hands. So now I'm thinking the watch is early 60's.
    It is obviously gold, but not sure to what extent (I'm guessing plated/capped but honestly I have no idea). Not sure if the crown is original although it does have the Ω, and the service history is unknown (although I suppose I could ask my Grandfather...).

All I know is that he wore this watch for as long as I can remember. Whether it would be dressed up for a family reunion or cutting down trees and working on tractors at our families farm. He definitely did NOT baby it hah.

I have not really had much of a chance to take a good look at it, and I intend to take it to my local shop to get the case back popped off to take a look inside. I'll post those pictures when I get them. I'll hopefully stop by over the weekend. But if any of the resident experts would care to chime in I would really truly appreciate it! Also taking suggestions for what sort of strap would go well with a smaller gold watch. As I said, it is not something I'm sure I would wear, but maybe with the right strap and occasion I would!

7E8B5E83-20C3-439C-B8F4-B5C122D27AED.jpeg EE5B48CA-DA5F-47AB-B9D1-DBEC49421351.jpeg CDD828A2-9AC4-491C-A360-9110D042D546.jpeg 77F0C11B-C54B-48AB-905C-476980D1F0A6.jpeg CDBCFECB-14A5-4973-872E-83788BBFB260.jpeg DA5D478E-039A-451B-9E08-A35EFE790295.jpeg

Bonus picture: My grandfather wearing the watch while holding me back in the early 90's...

[​IMG]

Andre1970, Dsloan, viwa64 and 29 others like this.
  2. malique Dec 26, 2019

Great piece! I can’t tell you much about the watch as I am fairly new to the scene. However, when it comes to straps I’d personally either stick with the current strap, or go for a (crocodile) leather dark brown or black strap. Also, as a bonus tip: I’d definitely print that wonderful photograph, and store it with the watch(box)!

DaveK and vbrad26 like this.
  3. OmegaPete Dec 26, 2019

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. OmeGez Dec 26, 2019

That’s amazing- you should definitely wear it! Just change the strap to something younger, if you feel like that.

cant beat a watch with history!

vbrad26 likes this.
  5. wilderbeast Dec 26, 2019

+1. I think a nice black leather strap will complement the dial and it would make a wonderful dress watch for occasional wear. Get it serviced, maybe see about polishing out some of the scratches on the crystal and wear with pride.

DaveK, malique and vbrad26 like this.
  6. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Thanks all. Yes, definitely has a great history. I am very happy to have it.
    I for sure want to ditch the stretchy Speidel band that is on it because 1. I have heard those are VERY bad for the lugs (although it has already been on the watch for a whille) and 2. just not my style. And that is the problem, gold is not really my style hah.
    So That's why I'm thinking a dark brown or black leather band for it.
    But mainly I'm just looking for a little more info on the watch if anyone has any to share...

7. Shabbaz Dec 26, 2019

Funny. I was following a auction what seems to be the same model. Sold for $ 450. Modelnumber was'nt mentioned.

Screenshot_20191226-160644_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20191226-160658_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20191226-160709_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20191226-160725_eBay.jpg
    JoLo, Canuck, Etp095 and 7 others like this.
  8. ryankelly Dec 26, 2019

Great story!

Samir and vbrad26 like this.
  9. base615 Dec 26, 2019

I was just going to say the same thing. Considered picking that one up. It’s a case I’ve never seen before and now 2 in as many days. Maybe a Norman Morris case?

vbrad26 likes this.
  10. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Never considered the case being different. I was more focused on the dial.
    The dial... The Ω on mine seems to be more more pinched together towards the bottom. Also, Different "S" font in Seamaster compared to the one pictured above.
    However the case does look the same.
    I have not really noticed any other watches that have the cut out or indent for the crown.
    I have spent a good hour or so on Omega's vintage archives and going off with the information I have I just can't place it.

11. base615 Dec 26, 2019

I did the same. That’s why I’m thinking Norman Morris as I believe national production cases aren’t listed in the database.

The crown cutout and the bevel on the lugs are both unusual features I haven’t seen before.

Samir, Benbradstock and vbrad26 like this.
  12. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Just did a bit of research on "Norman Morris".
    Very interesting. did not know that was a thing...
    Seems that there were a few other companies as well.
    Now I am even more anxious to open this thing up.

base615 likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 26, 2019

I have one very much like that from the US Collection in the early 60s, if I remember right.

That might mean the lugs are 11/16" apart, so troll eBay for the 11/16" strap of your dreams, and mind the length. There are also 11/16" bracelets, Omega and otherwise.

Tom

Edited Dec 26, 2019
    Samir and vbrad26 like this.
  14. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Thanks for the heads up!
    And thanks to a slow day at the office, I have been able to really dig in to all these American case companies that were supplying cases for movements and dials imported to the US by Omega.
    Interesting stuff. Had no idea. But now I do hah. Found a lot of threads on here with good info, and a lot of it came from @gatorcpa , among others. So thanks!
    What really just needs to happen at this point is for me to get it open, check out the caseback, and get a good look at the movement.
    That should pretty much sum up all of the info I need I think.

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 26, 2019

Reference L6298. Probably a Jonell case.

16. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Solid info, thanks!
    I believe a ran across a thread at some point today where you provided some other helpful info in my search.
    So thanks again!

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 26, 2019

Here is the same reference in a tri-gold, yellow, rose and white case. Norman Morris working the US market as he did so well.

IMG_6868.JPG

McKinley, ERBM, Etp095 and 4 others like this.
  18. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Yeah that is the closest I came to trying to match up the watch on my own without getting into it.
    Found it for sale on Chrono24

[​IMG]

I just Googled the ref. number you provided and it ended up linking me back to that watch on Chrono24 hah.

Etp095 likes this.
  19. Claven2 Dec 26, 2019

great watch. It's gold filled, meaning it has a thick layer of gold over a cheaper base metal - usually brass.

Try reading this:
    https://www.halsteadbead.com/articles/gold-filled-vs-gold-plated

Your example doesn't look to have any brassing (i.e. worn through loss of gold layer) and it could likely withstand a LIGHT polishing to shine it up to dress watch standards by a watchmaker sympathetic to Omega vintage gold filled pieces. If you won't be wearing it every day, and instead trotting it out for special occasions, I'd have it serviced by an independent with an Omega parts account. Your dial, the most important part of that watch from a looks perspective, looks fantastic and will look even better through fresh Haselite. Get a new Omega haselite crystal installed (avoid the aftermarket ones that are just a real crap shoot). Possibly have it lightly polished (and I do mean LIGHTLY) to take lessen the worst of the scratches, and then wear it on a nice leather band. I would highly recommend something in a nice dark leather, something not too thick or cushioned, as it won;t look as good with a thin dress watch. Obviously, also have the movement serviced so it starts off from a known baseline.

That would be a great watch for special occasions, galas & parties, suit wear, christmas dinners, etc. and I would be a real tribute to your grandfather to wear it pridefully on those occasions. Sport watches have their place, but so does a dress watch in the modern man's rotation.

20. vbrad26 Dec 26, 2019

Excellent advice, I appreciate it.
    I'm really on the fence as to what I want to do with it.
    Part of me wants to keep it as is (aside from the current bracelet). But on the other hand I would like to see it "freshened up" a bit.
    My two main "daily" watches are a modern Hamilton Khaki, and a modern Speedy.
    This would be my first and only vintage piece. I'm just not a huge fan of gold.
    I mean when I think of people who wear gold watches I think of my Grandfathers and Grandfather in-laws and older coworkers hah.
    One had this, the other has a Day-Date and the other a DateJust.
    I mean no offense to the older gentleman on this site. To me the gold is just something more distinguished.
    At 32, I just don't feel like I could pull it off. But like you said, perhaps special occasions.
    The Hammy is too informal, the Speedy a but large to fit under slimmer sleeves...so maybe this would be just right.

mozartman likes this.