A wild seashell appears on eBay.

Technically, the market just said what this one was worth, and it was $1,600 lol
The market of private auction eBay bidders. 🙄
Edited:

Next time I see one in mint condition full/set go for $1,600, I will jump for joy. Its not 1996 anymore. Technically, the market just said what this one was worth, and it was $1,600 lol

One eBay auction doesn’t set the market price. It can be just 2+ bidders getting carried away, or going nuclear on a watch as they really want it and overpaying the market.

That said, if you’re happy with the watch the price will simply be a memory in a few months time but the watch will remain in high is all that matters.

The market of private auction eBay bidders. 🙄
I'm still at a loss to understand why eBay has "private" auctions.

All bidder details I've seen are hashed, so they are effectively private.

If I see a "private" auction I usually give the the arse.

Am I missing the obvious?

Welp, I ended up winning this one at $1,625. I thought it would be going for more closer to $1800-2100. Guess I overestimated the market for these. Lol. Oh well, Im happy to have this at $1,600. Good placeholder for now. I think I will always hunt these weird American references.

Congrats and I hope that you enjoy it! Please post photos when you receive it.

Better to hide the shills...😒
How?
Seriously, I don’t get it.
Like @JimInOz says you can’t see bidder IDs anyhow, not sure how making it private changes much? When you used to be able to see full bidder IDs I get it, but now pretty much same/same… no? What am I missing?

How?
Like @JimInOz says you can’t see bidder IDs anyhow, not sure how making it private changes much? When you used to be able to see full bidder IDs I get it, but now pretty much same/same… no? What am I missing?
You can tell when, for example, a bidder with 0 history bids several times in small increments, especially when they retract their bid that goes over the current high bid.

How?
You can see feedback numbers. And the abbreviated IDs do reference specific people if you want to keep track.

You can see feedback numbers. And the abbreviated IDs do reference specific people if you want to keep track.

This.

And bidding history both on the current auction as well as previous auctions.

Eh, Im happy. I will enjoy it. I bumped the final bid thinking I wouldn't get it. No stress on this end as a buyer. Thanks for everyones input. 😀

The barn finds of yesterday where you would discover a pristine mint condition 57 Chevys being sold for $500 and a hand shake are long gone. I'm not hunting pristine examples at Mecums auto aution looking for perfect examples with an billionaires budget. I have always been a buyer of flawed vehicles that are often overlooked. But I think that jives with my personality type. Again, Im happy. 😀

I have always been a buyer of flawed people that are often overlooked.
FIFY in the OF manner- we are all a bit flawed and overlooked here.

Hope you wear it with pride.

How?
I think "public" vs private eBay auctions are primarily historical artifact; made sense 25 years ago and no reason to get rid of the feature, but they may not do them the same way if they were doing it again.

You could find a better example than this.

This is the first one I have seen pop up in the wild for sale in the year I have been actively looking for them. And Im sure the next one I see that is in better condition, I will try to buy as well. To all the people saying I could buy a better example. OK, where? These things are like rocking horse shit. haha. I will be happy with this piece, I promise. But thanks for the concern. 😀

FIFY in the OF manner- we are all a bit flawed and overlooked here.

Hope you wear it with pride.
LMFAO. Big agree. And thats ok. <3

Honestly, I applaud your stance in this whole thing. The watch has its flaws but in my opinion it will look great on the wrist. We are sometimes all too busy looking for perfection while these are old watches that had full lives.