A wild seashell appears on eBay.

That’s pretty much my approach. I buy to wear but hope it’s worth what I pay.

The real problem arises when you own too many watches, some of them impulse buys, and then realise that if you hadn’t spent your $$$ on second rate models, you could have actually afforded the lalapalooza you now covet! 😉
Touché. I'm new to collecting watches so maybe I haven't learned this lesson yet. Like I completely understand what you're saying and follow the logic but I am so impatient. I am also the guy on cars&bids eyeballing Ferrari FF's with 80k miles haha. I don't personally chase perfection, If I wanted perfect, I would go buy brand new.

I don't personally chase perfection, If I wanted perfect, I would go buy brand new.
I see this pretty often from newer members. They ask about a watch, maybe they're already somewhat attached to it emotionally, and experienced collectors tell them it's in bad shape and they won't be happy with it. Then they say they don't need something that's perfect, which is basically discounting the advice by implying that the collectors are being too picky.

Here's my response, none of us who collect vintage watches demand perfection, certain flaws are acceptable to each of us at the right price, everyone has a different threshold. Scratches on a sharp case, evenly distributed aging on the dial of a rare watch, a faded bezel, etc. They can be appealing, and certainly acceptable.

So when we say that a watch is too far gone, or ruined, or that no collector would look twice at it, that's truly not the same as saying "it's not perfect so it's not good enough for me." We really mean what we are saying. I bought some rough watches when I was new to vintage collecting, and it really didn't take me too long to realize that they didn't give me much joy.

I really appreciate that concise response. I can tell there is a lot of wisdom in it I probably should be heading. I'll reconsider bidding this one. cheers! 👍

I really appreciate that concise response. I can tell there is a lot of wisdom in it I probably should be heading. I'll reconsider bidding this one. cheers! 👍

Sensible decision. With that dial, I certainly wouldn't shell out money for that watch. 😗

Depends how much it is. I understand the point about the threshold for what’s acceptable for collectors, but if I want a particular version, I’d rather have a slightly sub par one to wear for a period than a big empty space on my wrist.
If I really wanted a ‘seashell’ dial Seamaster and could pick this one up for say $400, I’d be happy with that while I search for my keeper.

I’ll caveat the above by saying I’d only do this with cheaper watches, not with those in the £1000+ range as they can be hard to shift with dial issues and I also know they’re only a stop gap. But for a couple of hundred, it fine to ride me over while the real search continues.

I think if that glue is removed, rest is just "wear" - but seeing glue on indices always riles me up

In this case to me two things can be equally true. @Dan S is absolutely correct in what he says. But IMO so is @Davidt

I know I certainly have bought imperfect placeholders for my collection to be improved later. The key is buying at a price that you know you can resell or can accept losing X amount.

I am still pretty new to this vintage game, and I have definitely bought pieces that looking back I had too strong of a connection with and wouldn't pursue today, but it is all part of learning and I think that is part of the joy of getting into the hobby.

Bidding is currently at $910 with 7 days left on auction. Curiously, the seller set this listing as private to hide the bidders identities… 😒

Welp, I ended up winning this one at $1,625. I thought it would be going for more closer to $1800-2100. Guess I overestimated the market for these. Lol. Oh well, Im happy to have this at $1,600. Good placeholder for now. I think I will always hunt these weird American references.

Wow. Sorry to say, but that’s a huge price for that watch imo. I’d expect mint, with bracelet, box and papers for that and even then it’s no bargain.

Wow. Sorry to say, but that’s a huge price for that watch imo. I’d expect mint, with bracelet, box and papers for that and even then it’s no bargain.
Next time I see one in mint condition full/set go for $1,600, I will jump for joy. Its not 1996 anymore. Technically, the market just said what this one was worth, and it was $1,600 lol

I agree. Makes me rethink the few i’ve passed up that sold sub $1k

The real problem arises when you own too many watches, some of them impulse buys, and then realise that if you hadn’t spent your $$$ on second rate models, you could have actually afforded the lalapalooza you now covet! 😉
The village elders tried to help on this one OP......