A wild seashell appears on eBay.

This is the first one I have seen pop up in the wild for sale in the year I have been actively looking for them. And Im sure the next one I see that is in better condition, I will try to buy as well. To all the people saying I could buy a better example. OK, where? These things are like rocking horse shit. haha. I will be happy with this piece, I promise. But thanks for the concern. 😀

Enjoy the watch Sam, end of the day it's hopefully something you will wear. Maybe time given better examples will come to the market, maybe cheaper offerings, but at this moment enjoy your new purchase.

Congrats!

In my opinion, what we observe is what happens when there is a tiny bit of competition for a watch, once there is actual competition, what we take for granted could be a dream of future collectors

I follow this subreddit for fun: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeInvesting

I feel better about my purchases when I see regular people frequently spend thousands on a handful of cards that were just released less than 5 years ago

Honestly, I applaud your stance in this whole thing. The watch has its flaws but in my opinion it will look great on the wrist. We are sometimes all too busy looking for perfection while these are old watches that had full lives.
Hey I appreciate that. I get it, every collectors group I have ever been in is like this. You can chase perfection in pieces to the Nth degree and there will still be some group elder or expert pointing out that you did something wrong or made a mistake or overpaid or there is a flaw and that it somehow reflects on you as the buyer. I just dont subscribe to that BS. I get chasing perfect NOS examples especially if you are parking wealth. I would LOVE to have a 10/10 NOS Ed White with with a chocolatey tropical dial if I was trying to lock away $40,000 as a long term investment. But thats never been my buying style.

Last year I picked up my dream car, a 2010 R8 V10 gated coupe with all the carbon packages. It was flawed. It was "high mileage" at 30k, It had every wheel curbed by the previous owner who couldnt drive, and there was front end paint damage. EVERYONE in the R8 community avoided it like the plague and warned me against buying it. But I got a GREAT deal on it, swapped wheels to a set I really wanted to run, and had the front bumper resprayed. It is not a museum piece. Its a driver. I drive it. Im not parking it in a garage, hiding it away from society as an investment piece like most of these gated v10s have become.

I will wear this seashell and enjoy it and will be happy to show it to anyone who asks. 😀
20230404_111241.jpg

Just to be clear, no one saying you have to chase perfection. Yes, collectors like good-excellent-mint examples but there are also spaces for watches with issues, particularly if they are to be used for daily wear or it’s an uncommon example.
All many other members were trying to do was alert you to the fact that this watch isn’t a minter as it has some small dial issues and the price should reflect that. Then there’s been surprise at the final price as it is significantly above the market price many people would have expected for this watch.

This may not be a concern for you and that’s great, I’ve overpaid for watches before because I wanted them and hang the price. The fact is many people understandably don’t think that way and every week on this forum, when it’s pointed out to new collectors that they overpaid, they’re remorseful about a purchase and send it back as theyre not comfortable knowing they would only get 1/2 of their money back if they sold.

Again, it’s great that you don’t care about that. You wanted this watch, you went for it and the price will be a distant memory when you’re still enjoying looking at it strapped to your wrist. But advice on the forum is (generally) objective and the fact is, the watch isn’t a great example but the price paid was right at the very, very top of what one of these is worth, mint with box and papers. You may not care in the slightest but this thread will also be of use to others researching similar models and the comments should reflect a range of opinions to accurately reflect condition, value etc.

Just to be clear, no one saying you have to chase perfection.

Totally appreciate that input. I understand what you're saying. You know... I pinged this forum to ask what the perceived value was of the watch and all I received back was "I wouldnt touch it" or "I wouldnt bid on it at all" kind of responses. So thats actually less than helpful input. There is a tangable value to everything and nobody wanted to throw a ballpark number in the conversation. I didnt have much to go on besides other known SMDV american reference unique dials I have seen trade in the last year and was still keen on bidding it to a certain point. Not one person chimed in with "well, this SHOULD be worth about $1600 but because of the dial condition and lack of box and papers and orignal bracelet, it SHOULD only be worth around $800".

TLDR. You should have taken the advice from the forum elders which wasnt valuable advice to begin with lol.

I actually said around $400 towards the start of the thread.

I actually said around $400 towards the start of the thread.
Do you see how thats not valuable added advice though? That input isnt constructive to help me gauge the value of the piece of question; what you specifically would be moved to spend. Obviously I would ALSO like to pick this up for around $400 as you stated as Im sure most of us would. But thats around what standard silver dial SMDVs trade for today.

Totally appreciate that input. I understand what you're saying. You know... I pinged this forum to ask what the perceived value was of the watch and all I received back was "I wouldnt touch it" or "I wouldnt bid on it at all" kind of responses. So thats actually less than helpful input. There is a tangable value to everything and nobody wanted to throw a ballpark number in the conversation. I didnt have much to go on besides other known SMDV american reference unique dials I have seen trade in the last year and was still keen on bidding it to a certain point. Not one person chimed in with "well, this SHOULD be worth about $1600 but because of the dial condition and lack of box and papers and orignal bracelet, it SHOULD only be worth around $800".

TLDR. You should have taken the advice from the forum elders which wasnt valuable advice to begin with lol.
Another satisfied customer.

Did the buyer's remorse kick in, why is the thread continuing lol 😀

I regret a similar purchase of mine, overpaid, spent quite a bit of money on it, corrected everything I can, and when I tried to sell, I couldn't even recoup near my initial purchase cost - some watches are like that

eBay is a nightmare for sellers, if I was on the selling side, I'd be relieved if I knew someone was bidding $400, I sold a blue dial 565 special Geneve for $200 once on eBay if I remember correctly

But I do get your point well too, it's a problem I intend to attempt to solve, but you'll come to realise most collectors here are secretly against it as everyone enjoys buying special watches in incredible condition for spare change, so each newcomer gets a passive push and the demand doesn't grow

DSC05216.jpeg DSC05209.jpeg DSC04754.jpeg 20221006_081255.jpeg

To be fair, OP, I don't think it was clear in your postings that you were looking for a perceived $ value on this listing. Although you did get some posters give what they would pay for it.

I tend to be in your camp, I'm more inclined to buy a watch in lesser condition if I really want it. But I also thought the "forum elders" gave very useful advise.

Getting advise you don't want to hear, is arguably the most useful advice, in my humble opinion.

Do you see how thats not valuable added advice though? That input isnt constructive to help me gauge the value of the piece of question; what you specifically would be moved to spend. Obviously I would ALSO like to pick this up for around $400 as you stated as Im sure most of us would. But thats around what standard silver dial SMDVs trade for today.

No I don’t see how it’s not helpful. You didn’t specifically ask for opinions as to what it’s worth, you just asked for peoples thoughts, which you received. You don’t have to agree with them, that’s part of the beauty of collecting vintage watches, we judge and value them differently and different people chase different things.
I wouldn’t buy it at all - even at $400. I was saying if you want it and can get it for $400 I think that’s a reasonable buy. Significantly more is overpaying due to the condition imo. You may disagree which is fine, but you asked for thoughts and after buying vintage watches for wel over ten years, those are my thoughts on the market value of it.
These dials are uncommon but there are lots of variations and they don’t generally command a significant premium over a standard silver dial DeVille. Maybe 10-25% maximum all things being equal.
Of course in this case the price went nuts, I think it sold for well over market price as two or more bidders really wanted it.

If you’re happy with the watch and the price who cares what others think?

@Davidt, don't you understand ... it's our job to tell the OP how much to bid. And he's entitled to that information. That's what he wanted (even though he didn't ask for it) and anything else is not helpful.

Moreover, if our opinions don't agree with his, it's also not helpful information, and we're out of touch because we are "forum elders" who "chase perfection."

And then when he gets suckered into paying multiples of what the watch is worth by shill bidding from a pawn shop, he knows better than long-time Omega collectors. This was exactly what he wanted.

You really can't help someone like this.
Edited:

Once again, experienced and overwhelmingly polite members patiently tried to help a newbie, despite the opening line "Thoughts on this piece? Obviously I know.....". People reveal themselves quickly, so it is no surprise that after failing to listen and dramatically overpaying this turns unpleasant and incoherent. I say enough, and suggest this one be closed.

Did the buyer's remorse kick in, why is the thread continuing lol 😀
Nope lol. Damn! Thats a gorgeous blue dial. I love how the tritium plots at the indices has tropicalized the dial. I think thats so cool.
To be fair, OP, I don't think it was clear in your postings that you were looking for a perceived $ value on this listing. Although you did get some posters give what they would pay for it.

I tend to be in your camp, I'm more inclined to buy a watch in lesser condition if I really want it. But I also thought the "forum elders" gave very useful advise.

Getting advise you don't want to hear, is arguably the most useful advice, in my humble opinion.
You're right. I apologise. I wasnt clear with what I was asking up front. And it was innappropriate and rude for me to assume the forum knew what I was looking for. Thats on me. And you're 100% right. There is a lot of good advice shared in here for which I am grateful. And especially this last bit of advice from yourself is one I often struggle with haha. But you're right.
No I don’t see how it’s not helpful. You didn’t specifically ask for opinions as to what it’s worth, you just asked for peoples thoughts, which you received. You don’t have to agree with them, that’s part of the beauty of collecting vintage watches, we judge and value them differently and different people chase different things.
I wouldn’t buy it at all - even at $400. I was saying if you want it and can get it for $400 I think that’s a reasonable buy. Significantly more is overpaying due to the condition imo. You may disagree which is fine, but you asked for thoughts and after buying vintage watches for wel over ten years, those are my thoughts on the market value of it.
These dials are uncommon but there are lots of variations and they don’t generally command a significant premium over a standard silver dial DeVille. Maybe 10-25% maximum all things being equal.
Of course in this case the price went nuts, I think it sold for well over market price as two or more bidders really wanted it.

If you’re happy with the watch and the price who cares what others think?
No, you're right. Im sorry. I wasnt clear with my language. Thats my fault. I agree I overpaid for this.

Ohhh baby. I am super excited about this. Showed up this morning.

Ok, to clear the air. Apologies to the group. After reflecting and rereading everything I see that I was in the wrong. I am a newbie jumping into watches and watchmaking with both feet hard and fast and this is part of my steep learning curve. Sometimes I am really receptive to helpful advice and other times I need a sledgehammer to the head and wallet to get the point. But its my journey and Ill own it. I understand and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and years of experience you people bring to the community. Ultimately, thats why Im here. To learn. I will make more mistakes.

So, watch case and crown are in great shape. I think the dial was represented well in photos. The scratch at 6 is really only visible at certain angles when the light catches it, but its undeniable its there and visible from the wrist. It doesnt particularly bother me being a 63yr old watch. The scratch/dent left of 12 isnt noticeable on the wrist. The dial discoloration at 3 isnt noticeable on the wrist unless the light hits it right. There a weird flake almost like skin cells left of 3 which I will remove later. Plan is to time it out and see what its doing. I just took the beginning watchmaking classes at AWCI with more classes signed up for. Ill open this up soon and service the movement. The glue residue on the 12 will be corrected and I will leave the rest alone. Still has original Radium. <spicy>. Overall, I am still madly in love with it and am not really concerned about the price I paid. Cool watch? Hell yeah. Got a good deal? Hell no haha. Its mine now and Im happy. 😀

TLDR: Im sorry, thanks for the help. I love the watch. I understand I overpaid for it. No buyers remorse, Im happy. 😀

20240303_013915.jpg 20240303_104634.jpg 20240303_104642.jpg 20240303_104650.jpg 20240303_104700.jpg 20240303_104842.jpg 20240303_104859.jpg 20240303_112542.jpg

TLDR: Im sorry, thanks for the help. I love the watch. I understand I overpaid for it. No buyers remorse, Im happy. 😀

You're a good guy Sam, even if your welding is crap. If you really love a watch and it is hard to find another just like it, I say go ahead and overpay. If you are keeping the watch long term the money that you overpaid gets spread out over years of enjoyment, so who cares. Although the price was high in my opinion, these seashell dials don't come up very often. The point is you love the watch and it was worth what you paid for it to you. Nothing else really matters. I hope you stick around, I've enjoyed your contributions to the forum.

Glad you are happy with it. My one and only “elder watch collector” advice is to get that cheap padded strap off of it and find an unpadded strap with taper to 16or even 15mm at the buckle if you can find it (you can find vintage factory buckles in both sizes). A lot of new collectors put chunky straps on these watches thinking it will “butch” them up a bit but it only makes them appear smaller and more dainty. The slimmer the strap the more the head pops on the wrist. And that doesn’t mean it needs to be a dressy strap- suede, saffiano, or scotch grain can really make a dressier watch more approachable for daily use.