Forums Latest Members
  1. hadrome Jan 29, 2023

I'm trying to find out a little history of the 60s Geneve line that has the C-like case shape. Specifically, I mean the references 135.041, 165.041 and 166.041.

Reference image so you know what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

Is there a common name for these distinct watches?

They're kind of C cases, but not. Though I've read people using this term, it doesn't seem to be a well used. Maybe they have no name. I kinda think they deserve one!

Using the reference numbers is a challenge. There's more than one, for a start. Not everybody uses them. And the search here in OF disregards numbers entirely I think. (A note for the mods here, ahem.)

Alternatively, any links/thoughts about the 041 Geneve family history most welcome.

Spruce likes this.
  2. kaplan Jan 29, 2023

Flavio's IG is a good place if you want to see some rare ones, but you need to scroll down: https://www.instagram.com/flqt9000/

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 05.14.43.png

I REALLY enjoy these models too, mainly because there are so many of them and they seem so collectable, but there's no mystery to the model numbers, they are based on Auto/Manual + Date/No-Date - I might be mistaken but you only miss 136.041 I think

There are also some rare bracelets, for example I have a #0 endlinked bracelet for these that I use on a C-Case just as a power move as these cases destroyed so many of our 1040's - the C-Case might be mighty, but at the same time compassionate, the bracelets fit without any damage (Since the curvature is the same, some monsters take 19mm 1040's and file the endlinks down to 18mm to use on these bracelets, it's a nightmare buying 1040's and discovering they are 18mm or carved in a specific way to fit another case etc.)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2023

I just use their reference and call them Geneves as they’re among the most common. The case is a product of trying to keep the production cost as low as possible without sacrificing movement quality, so you’ve got a simple dial and hands, and a case that is effectively a single piece that gets stamped out with a die, then gets a quick redial finish on the front and a quick polish on the sides with no beveling or detail beyond that. I had an actual NOS one a few years back and the case edges are so sharp as to actually feel uncomfortable running your fingers over them. Great movements though and the simple case holds up to abuse very well, while doing a good job in terms of water resistance.

4. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

Great call, and thanks for the link. It won't help with my eBay affliction, but it may with the collection. There's a lot of great stuff on there in general.

Quite right. The manual with date. I had missed it. That's why a collective name would be good!

5. Davidt Jan 30, 2023

They are really basic cases but, the movements are great and the dial variety, some of which are genuinely uncommon, means they can be very collectible and quite a low price point.
    They also wear very well as the cases are nice and thin.

Aesthetically they aren’t really for me but I can see why people would like them.

hadrome likes this.
  6. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

This is fascinating history and makes sense for the Genève entry-level line. And the production method makes sense: A stamped, bezel-less, single-piece case. Maybe 'monoblock' would be better than 'C' for these?

I don't have a Genève, though I have a Constellation and a 60's Seamaster. There's so much written about those, whole blogs dedicated to their variants, etc. It's obvious why the cheaper line has less of a devoted following, but I'd love to get into the details of them. And, oddly the prices for the Genèves aren't so different from their more spoken-about siblings, so it's a wonder more information isn't out there.

7. Nupero Jan 30, 2023

The amount of different dial variants always surprises me. Especially when considering that the Genève was an entry-level model. To me, it doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint - the production numbers are so low. Can someone enlighten me?

8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 30, 2023

Use google ;)

hadrome likes this.
  9. kaplan Jan 30, 2023

G-Case maybe :D

hadrome and RevZMan123 like this.
  10. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

A huge range of dial variants seems to be intrinsic to Omega culture. All the historical lines seem to have offered so many. I expect it's a reasonably small part of the production cost, and that there's a well-organised unit who were (from the 50s) and still are (now, with all those Speedmaster special editions) capable of delivering the volumes and changes. But I'm guessing. It certainly keeps the "is this a redial?" forum posts going, I guess.

11. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

I do exactly that. I did before starting this thread.

"c case geneve site:omegaforums.net"

Much better!

Mark020 likes this.
  12. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

Yes! "G-Case" Perfect. Now, how do we seed this amongst the Omega masses?

kaplan likes this.
  13. kaplan Jan 30, 2023

If you collect like 50 of these, which will cost you $10.000-$30.000 - you'll become the #1 collector and can genuinely give a new line to the name, especially if you push a couple of Youtube videos

It's like we're all enjoying a vast playground planet, people are pushing 10.000 videos a day just opening Pokemon cards or some other wasteful stuff, yet we get to enjoy such treasures without the interest of the masses

The advantage of the G-Case is you can concentrate only on steel watches too, gold coated watches are extremely expensive and illogical to collect since you end up spending so much for a pristine case, yet for an average non-collector it has less value, with C-Case's, eliminating gold/gold coated watches are not possible, since the main colors are all on gold watches, with G-Case's this might be possible

Purple dial G-Case exists both on steel and gold, yet I think there was a brown dial and it was gold coated only

Interestingly no solid gold G-Case, you'd hope they at least did one, @dsio's analysis make a lot of sense

As a warning there are 100+ unique models of these out there, a lot of combinational variety out of date/no-date/lume/dial color/case color - but not too much variety in terms of different hands / furniture etc.

14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 30, 2023

I’ve always liked the illusion that they’re just that little bit larger and more contemporary than many watches of the late 60s/early 70s.

They’re also slim, comfortable and wearable with suits or jeans.

The other big plus is that the movements in the automatics are the ultra-reliable 552 and 565.

I know that many owners like the manual wind 601s and 613s but, IMHO, why get a manual when you can have the same watch with a 565/552.

3rdstringholder, kaplan and hadrome like this.
  15. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

Well, I like the idea of being the no. 1 collector and brute-forcing the world's naming of these watches to G-Case. I need to work a little on that as I currently have 0 in the collection. But I have a terrible feeling that this might change soon.

Davidt likes this.
  16. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

Certainly the C-case Constellations wear large for their 34mm size. It's a good thing. I have quite large wrists, too. These G-cases look very light.

Yes, they're the pinnacle vintage Omega movement family. I've noticed the manual wind 6** versions seem to be a little cheaper, and I actually don't mind a manual wind. But you can't argue with the 5** series.

Spruce likes this.
  17. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 30, 2023

An inspirational thread.

This 552 was the first .041 model I bought but I haven’t worn it for two or three years, preferring the 565 but, tonight, I thought I’d give it a wear :)

53F049FF-C067-4F41-9B96-47D4DBFCED99.jpeg A7EB7BB6-1DDB-4B78-9260-36E87790E701.jpeg

mrbreen, 3rdstringholder and hadrome like this.
  18. hadrome Jan 30, 2023

I'm pleased this thread inspired you to put this one on. I'm pretty convinced I need one in the collection.

Spruce likes this.
  19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 30, 2023

Gold plated are similar but, currently, less popular and, as a consequence, there are more for sale. Personally, I prefer this one in the summer

B3899234-70F4-40E1-B9B7-62A2F44CF5D8.jpeg

20. MtV Jan 30, 2023

They definitely feel bigger than the average 34mm Omega from the time with slim lugs. Cool entry level pieces and as mentioned, available with funky details. A former example of mine says hi:

ECA77119-3F2E-4DF9-91A4-05781B2659B6.jpeg