Forums Latest Members

Do You Have A Name For Your Vintage Omega That Will Make History ?

1. rolexfantastic Jun 22, 2013

I remember a very inspiring passage from the very popular historical novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
    During his imprisonment in the Château d'If, Edmond Dantès met and befriends the Abbé Faria, who was actually a learned scholar and former soldier in Napoleon's army, who was also unjustly imprisoned in the island of If for not telling Napoleon the whereabouts of a hidden treasure.
    The interesting story and the analogy to our Omega passion is actually when the two met. Edmond was on the verge of commit suicide, while the old Faria was digging a tunnel to escape from the island but Faria's calculations on his tunnel were wrong and it ends up connecting the two prisoners cells rather than leading to freedom.
    Edmond told the old Faria he was about to go crazy, as there was no way for him to go out and see his Mercédès.. And in his 6 years spent in his cell in the Château d'If, he counted every stone in the wall, and there were some 72951.
    Now, Faria, full of optimism, and amusement, asks Edmond if he put a name to each stone.
    The analogy: I know many of you already have names for your Omega collectibles, like Ploprof, Baby Ploprof, Flightmaster, Jedi, Big Blue, Banana, etc. but there are many not baptized yet. So it would be nice to recognize collectibles during time after a unique name besides Seamaster, Speedmaster, Constelation, etc. + reference number.
    I will start first:
    For example, i would baptize a Seamaster 200 ref. 166.091 not Pilot as it's generic, but Tortuga or Tortoise shell; the vintage OMEGA Seamaster 300's the Bullet, the Omega Seamaster F300Hz ref. 198.0018 the Bulldog, etc.

So anyone would like to share his opinion to stick with a collective name for eternity ?
    Your ideas would have to contain the name of the collection, model and reference #; ie. Omega collection Seamaster model 200, ref. 166.091.

/F