Forums Latest Members

A father, a son and a watch.

1. TheGreekPhysique Nov 30, 2022

This is a story about a father, a son and a watch. A watch that I have been chasing for weeks. Which, as an aside, makes me admire those who have stated that there are watches they have chased for YEARS. I do not think my heart nor mind could take such an endeavor.

It all started one afternoon. I received a text from a colleague that included one picture and simply read “How much should I offer this guy for this? It comes with box and papers.” My heart fluttered, I stopped in my tracks and responded quickly “Do not let him walk out that door.” Despite my best efforts my warning was not headed, the gentleman received his offer and left. The contact information was forwarded to me and I immediately contact the seller as soon as I got out of work. We talked at length during my commute home without any real resolution. I expressed my interest in purchasing the watch. He gave me a little background information on it. His father was the original owner and he was trying to find out how much the watch was worth. He was going to be busy over the next couple of days but agreed to meet if our schedules would somehow align.

So on it went. I pestered him with texts after 48 hours with changes to my work schedule to see if it was a convenient time to meet. Most texts were met with silence. Others with refusals with various citations as to reasons why. Then just like that one day it worked out. I texted him that I was getting out earlier than I anticipated and inquired if that specific day would be good to meet. He agreed and so the meeting was set.

I waited in anticipation. Finally the original owner's son and the package arrived.

IMG_7219.JPG

Indeed it was as described. Pretty much a complete set down to the original constellation cloth and purchase receipt.

IMG_7222.JPG

The original owner - the gentlemans father - purchased the watch when he was in the Air Force while he was stationed in Germany from the Lindsey Air Station. From my research, Lindsey air station (formerly a complex called Schiersteiner Kaserne Displaced Persons). In the past it had served as a training camp and base for the German army in 1920 before being occupied by the US Army during the close out of WWII wherein the camp was then renamed “in honor of Capt Darrel R. Lindsey, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for heroism in aerial combat as a member of the 394th Bomb Gp, 9 Aug 1944. Capt Lindsey led a formation of 30 B-26 bombers in an attack on the strategically important L'Isle Adam railroad bridge over the Seine River.” - http://www.themilitarystandard.com/afb/outside_us/lindsey.php

I have had discussions on and off with numerous individuals over recent months regarding military watches or watches purchased by military individuals. Most accounts I have gathered are from the offspring of our belated service members. One theme appears to be that military exchanges were a great place to snag a nice watch. Especially for officers but really anyone on active duty. The reason being is they had cash coming in and nowhere really to spend it. Also the watches were often offered below MSRP. If anyone has any more information regarding this particular part please feel free to comment below or PM me as I am generally interested.

The meeting concluded with the son asking a question “So how much is it worth?” to which I replied, “it depends…. Is it for sale.” After a long sing and dance he informed me he just wasn't ready to sell the watch. He wanted to ask his sons if they would be interested in Grandpas watch before selling it. And that was it. He left. I was left alone with my own thoughts during the long drive home. I tried to reason to myself that maybe wasn't ready to sell it. Maybe he was just shopping it around to see how high of an offer he could get. A week went by before we spoke again.

Then on Friday morning (black friday) I received a text “Hi Niko, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. .My son doesnt believe he’d enjoy the omega as much as you or a collector might. She’s on the market.”

A little negotiation back and forth, a meet up later and she was mine.

IMG_7179.JPG

The crystal was very scratched and as you can see even after multiple polishes its still in bad shape. Underneath is a beautiful two tone waffle dial that is super clean with gold arrowhead furniture. The case was filthy but I did my best to clean it up with peg wood and such. I apologize but most of the shots are of me around the house or in my scrubs. I haven't had a chance to take her for a night out on the town yet but so far just haven't been able to take her off.

IMG_7207.JPG IMG_7178.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7209.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

Thanks for the read and hope you all enjoyed. Take care OF fam!

2. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Nov 30, 2022

Beautiful Niko and so well written. Enjoy.

Mr. O, DaveK, marcn and 1 other person like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Nov 30, 2022

Hopefully your daughter will tell the tale about how her father wore down this poor dude to get his dead father’s watch…and that’s how she got it.

4. wagudc Nov 30, 2022

That is really a spectacular piece. Enjoy!

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  5. Dan S Nov 30, 2022

Great find, Niko.

6. boat2dan Nov 30, 2022

Enjoyed reading, original owner appreciated and respected your passion. Well deserved! I have a NOS Omega crystal I’ll add to the piece if your interested Nico. PM me with your address and I’ll mail out to you. Regards Dan

7. lindo Nov 30, 2022

How good is that - a really nice watch with its original box and papers. Thanks for sharing the story.

noelekal, Mr. O and TheGreekPhysique like this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Nov 30, 2022

Superb find, congratulations!

9. SC1 Dec 1, 2022

Excellent, enjoy!

10. SC1 Dec 1, 2022

Excellent, enjoy!

11. TrboDieselPwrd Dec 1, 2022

Thanks for sharing this story -- theirs and yours. Really enjoy reading your boots on the ground efforts -- gives some good perspective on how to find these beauties!

12. YYTIN Dec 1, 2022

So this still exists and happens... Very happy for you !
    The watch looks absolutely fantastic.

TheGreekPhysique and Vitezi like this.
  13. Ogion Dec 1, 2022

Great thread and beautiful watch!

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 1, 2022

Hi
    It is hard to determine when too much txts or not enough …

Glad it worked out well for both .

Good Hunting
    Bill

15. UWG Dec 1, 2022

Wow, very beautiful watch and interesting story behind. Enjoy in good health!

Edited Dec 1, 2022
  16. cristos71 Dec 1, 2022

Fantastic watch and a great story.....these kind of additions to the collection are the best, anyone can click BIN, but sometimes it takes some skill and diplomacy to land the best ones....DIBS!

17. Kraal90 Dec 1, 2022

Great story and congratulations!

my grandfather had an Omega allegedly purchased during the 1940s. Sadly it was lost among other stuff when he passed away during the 1990s. Me being still a kid and nobody else in the family having any knowledge about watches.
    Wish I could’ve gone back and kept it.

TheGreekPhysique and RevZMan123 like this.
  18. Vol375 Dec 1, 2022

Awesome watch and story! Congrats Niko.

19. TheGreekPhysique Dec 1, 2022

thanks!

thank you Dan!

Still exists! For how much longer I am not sure. In a couple of years if they are still around we will have to track them down from the grandkids of the original owner. Won’t stop me from trying though.

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed the read. It was an interesting and fun one to write up.

20. gbesq Dec 1, 2022

Unfortunately, the story has a sad ending. The watch is too big for Niko's wrist, so he's giving it to me. Is he a great guy or what? :D Just kidding, Niko. Great story, gorgeous watch and congrats.

Edited Dec 1, 2022
  21. TheGreekPhysique Dec 1, 2022

Yes the art of the deal as they say