“Fixing” a Heuer Camaro with a new strap

Posts
943
Likes
5,501
File this under the “making an old watch new again” case files.

Over the summer, I acquired a vintage Heuer Camaro that came on a 90s Tag Heuer bracelet. On initial inspection when I received the watch, there was a lot going through my mind about the condition. But what stood out most was the feeling that the bracelet was a complete mismatch.


Now, the budget I spent on this watch did not leave room to look for a period correct bracelet. So I took some time to think about an ideal swap for the Tag bracelet. And I ultimately landed on (perhaps unsurprisingly for a “racing” watch) a rally strap.


I am quite pleased with this match and it even resolved some other issues I was having with the watch, such as wondering if I should get the case refinished. I didn’t particularly like that idea since I’m not one to rush out to get a vintage watch case looking new again, and I actually enjoy old watches that show they’ve had a meaningful life with “honest” wear. The new strap “fixed” those other issues in my head by giving the watch a more period correct visual balance.

So the watch has a new life in my collection because it’s now very wearable for me. I can continue to think about other things I might “fix”, but those can be long-term contemplations as I wear and enjoy it now and usher it along its journey through time.
Edited:
 
Posts
129
Likes
1,241
Awesome watch that feels a bit larger on the wrist than the measures indicated.
I love your strap choice.
In my opinion there is no need for restoring the case, just wear it and enjoy it.
 
Posts
943
Likes
5,501
Awesome watch that feels a bit larger on the wrist than the measures indicated.
I love your strap choice.
In my opinion there is no need for restoring the case, just wear it and enjoy it.

When researching the watch, I noted that the case dimensions on paper trended smaller than most other watches in my collection. In reality, I don’t notice anything off about the size on my wrist. It’s a really great wearing watch.

If anything gave me pause, it was the19mm lug width. But only because I previously had no other watches with that lug width. Of course the upside is having an excuse to buy new straps. $$$$$
Edited:
 
Posts
129
Likes
1,241
Yes, I had the same issue when choosing a strap for mine.
Maybe you can tell where you found your strap, it really is nice and I need a new one 😀

 
Posts
943
Likes
5,501
Yes, I had the same issue when choosing a strap for mine.
Maybe you can tell where you found your strap, it really is nice and I need a new one 😀


First of all, my hats off to your Camaro. If my personal research holds up, you have what is probably my ideal reference. I definitely wanted an exotic dial reference, and would have loved a 7220 (with the orange print tachy scale). Though I’m equally happy with the panda dial on my 73643.

The strap is from the Strap Tailor in the UK. It was custom made and took a few weeks but I’m quite happy with the quality out of the box and looking now to see how it wears in.
 
Posts
8,129
Likes
36,633
The watch looks fantastic on that strap! There's nothing better than finding 'the one'...and that one is it 👍
 
Posts
13,514
Likes
23,449
Looks great on a strap but I do think a Camaro is one of those watches that’s just meant to be on a bracelet (obviously not the one that came on yours).

The GF originals are amazing but very expensive. I like the Mr Beads generic ones as a cheaper option.
That said, a nice tan leather is a close second on a Camaro!!

 
Posts
943
Likes
5,501
The GF originals are amazing but very expensive. I like the Mr Beads generic ones as a cheaper option.
That said, a nice tan leather is a close second on a Camaro!!
Mazel tov if those are all your Camaros. 🫡

Some day I’ll need an original GF bracelet to complete the package but not ready to spend the money.

I tried another generic BOR that didn’t work. I’ll have to check out Mr. Beads. Cheers.
 
Posts
13,514
Likes
23,449
They’re the ones I’ve owned over the last few years. Many no longer in my collection but they’re possibly my favourite watch.

I get it on the cost of a GF. The price is insane, especially for worn examples. Through luck and a long time searching I have a mint example that I got for a reasonable price. I’d definitely check out Mr Beads though. Decent bracelet and the Endlinks are a great fit for the Camaro case.