Forums Latest Members
  1. 911scok Aug 1, 2022

Hello Vintage Omega forum!

I’ve recently joined and have enjoyed perusing the pages looking for information.

My dad sadly passed away in May and I’ve inherited his Omega Geneve watch (which seems to be a familiar story on the forum). As a very young lad I was actually with him in 1972 when he bought it from an Omega dealer in Interlaken in Switzerland so at least I don’t have to worry about it being a fake! Because my dad had this one, I always fancied an Omega myself and eventually I did buy not just one but two! I haven’t thrown away/sold any of my old watches and the photo attached represents my watch history since the late 80s!

Turning to my dads watch I have a number of questions please

1. I’ve not taken it to a watch repairer yet but from my research I think this is a 166.041 cal 565. Any alternative views please?
    2. My dad was under the impression it was broken and I don’t think he had worn it for c5years. However I’ve worn it for a few hours a day during the past week and whilst it’s being worn it seems to be keeping perfect time! Indeed it’s absolutely in line with my Seamaster. However it doesn’t seem to have the same levels of reserve and if I don’t wear it all day it then it has stopped by the next morning. I’m assuming if I wore it full time it would be ok?
    3. I’ve always fancied a nice watch winder and as I’ve now got two chrono/automatic watches I’ve purchased a Wolf Cub. The Seamaster works fine but the Geneve doesn’t seem to benefit. Is it because it has insufficient “charge” or is it not suitable for a winder?
    4. After so long inactive I’m guessing many of you will be suggesting I give the Geneve a full service? The photo attached makes it look rougher than it really is and of course given it’s history I don’t want to spoil it’s patina. However it does have two dark marks on its face. Would these clean off? I don’t want to change the face. Can anyone recommend a suitable repair shop in Bristol/Bath/North Somerset?
    5. I also note it seems to have a non- Omega crown. I’ve spotted several on e-Bay for around £40. A good source?

I never bothered to visit a watch forum before when I bought my Seamaster but having inherited my dads watch I’m now keen to understand the model’s history. I look forward to your views!

Thank you!

B130ADEA-C892-4582-BFCF-1C504427B6FD.jpeg 2A383122-1081-41A9-A0CC-EDBD5C0B00C7.jpeg 671C9045-F634-4580-B744-F632C1D5E405.jpeg 5D46B1BB-1D50-4B34-94AD-28582EE66618.jpeg
    RevZMan123 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2022

911scok likes this.
  3. 911scok Aug 1, 2022

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if the marks on the dial were new. Maybe they’ve only been caused since I started wearing the watch!!
    I’ll get it over to a watch repairer asap.

4. SkunkPrince Aug 1, 2022

Looks like it has the wrong hands, too, since the dial is luminous.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2022

I think those are luminous hands actually.

If they where not luminous the it would be an obvious black insert.

Edited Aug 1, 2022
    MtV likes this.
  6. DON Aug 1, 2022

I would leave the generic crown. Having a signed one is not major and it's already fitted.

New crown also means new winding stem + watch makers time to cut and fit the parts

Service and new crystal. Can leave the hands as they are to match the aged dial

DON

911scok and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Widows Son Aug 1, 2022

Wow, any chance the marks are on the inside of the crystal and not the dial??? I know it's wishful thinking but.......

911scok likes this.
  8. SkunkPrince Aug 1, 2022

I think you're right. When I embiggen the photo I can see the lume in the hands, it's just similar in shade to the hands themselves. I would ask the watchmaker to relume them.

911scok and Foo2rama like this.
  9. 911scok Aug 2, 2022

I wish it were true but it does look as if the marks are on the dial. It’s strange that the watch is keeping such accurate timing if there’s any drag from the hands onto the dial. My mum has no recollection of new hands being fitted (but then again she can’t recall a new crown either!). I’ve attached a closer view of hands and dial. Opening it up will make things clearer!

C301F6BD-0C2B-448F-91D9-8C1154FF8DD4.jpeg