Forums Latest Members

A dude who finally got his watch

1. CSM Mar 8, 2020

It was 2016 when I set for myself a particular goal for my business, with an Omega the prize-to-be once achieved. I reached that goal in 2018 (and posted about my cold-feet here), and as of January 2020 can now happily report that I followed through - I'm one incredibly happy owner of a blue Speedmaster '57 (Ref. 331.10.42.51.03.001). For your entertainment (but mostly due to my current desire to procrastinate on some work) I figured I'd share a little bit about the idiosyncratic journey that is one's arrival to and time with a new watch. Pictures throughout.

IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4708.JPG

In the two years since my first post here, I've consumed ungodly amounts of watch content - videos, articles, forum lurking - the whole 9 yards of certifiable watch obsession. Watchbox videos every morning with breakfast, watchfinder&co at lunch, and trying on my latest obsession(s) at local ADs in the evening. In the beginning it was the comparatively simple question of sapphire vs hesalite. But over time I realized two things that are sure to offend (the mark of being in good horological company):

1. I needed a date
    2. I wanted a "modern" movement / vintage wasn't for me

This is all within the context of being a chrono guy head to toe (never mind my current lust for a BB58 but possibly a Pelagos and a Longines Hertiage Flagship as my dress watch because I don't think I could survive my wife discovering the price of the Grand Seiko I really would prefer to have for those dressy occasions...). Oh, and ya, did I mention I fancy myself a "one watch guy" as well? Yes, "this poor soul is in denial" is what I say, too, looking in the mirror.

That really limited things to the Speedmaster Coaxial moonwatch, '57, and the new Racing that came out in 2018. Back then, I found reasons that those lines just didn't work for me (preferred straight lugs, no crown guards, and was bummed the Master Chronometer 9900 wasn't in the '57 line) so I looked elsewhere. What I found in my price range (~$5k) was a lot of modified 7750's & 7753's. Great movements, but I just found myself wanting something a bit "more." Plus, it had been Omega who had won my heart, so late 2019 I decided to give the '57 line another look. I had completely forgotten about the blue '57 over those ~2 years and seeing it again was one of those epiphany moments. Funny how time can change how you see something. So, I bought one.

IMG_4734.JPG
    IMG_4972.JPG

I had been looking for the perfect watch, and realizing what a fantasy that was allowed me to put something that I truly love on my wrist. The few things that kept it from perfection just took a change in perspective:

- Problem: Too thick. Remedy: as someone who is 6'5" and pretty high above the ground, it figures my watch should stand a little proud above my wrist. Also realizing/seeing that 6mm of the 16mm thickness is sapphire crystal.
    - Problem: Green lume, wishing it was BGW9 (blue). Remedy: let it remind me of my super hot wife's green eyes.
    - Problem: Wasn't the 9900 / latest & greatest "master" chronometer. Remedy: Remembering credentialism isn't all it's cracked up to be (Exhibit A: my unused and very expensive college degrees).

Perhaps this can help others get over what are really rather superficial timepiece pet peeves.

Here are 10 things about this watch that I discovered through my time with it:

1. The domed sapphire caseback creates this incredible under-glow on the watch when it catches the light, especially when I'm working on the computer. I think it's just so cool.
    2. The caseback helps the lugs sit slightly off my wrist, which I've found helps significantly with airflow and keeping my wrist cool. The design also helps the watch wear slimmer.

IMG_5354.JPG

3. Manually winding the crown on the 9300 is pretty blah. No real tactile feedback except for an audible click when it's fully wound (assuming some winding clutch).
    4. The 1st position independent hour adjustment that allows the balance to keep running is so wonderfully useful. Today was daylight savings and got to use it.
    5. Tachymetre is more handy than you think. Was able to tell my wife she could wash 170 dishes in an hour at her current rate. Wife amusement mileage varies.
    6. Mine is running at +2.4 sec/day.
    7. 60 hr. power reserve is perfect for making it from Friday night to Monday morning....but I haven't gone a day without it on my wrist yet to be able to confirm.
    8. Both the chrono minute & hour hands at the 3 position subdial are lumed. The chrono broadarrow hand allows light to illuminate the sides of it even when the minute chrono hand is above it.

IMG_4883.JPG

9. I really enjoy the bracelet it came with. There's definitely a trick to removing it seamlessly but once you get the hang of it I find it quite nice. In the end though I'm a leather guy and had some custom bolstered Horween leather straps made for Omega's deployant clasp. Going to keep the brown stitching and sell the contrast/ivory stitch one.
    10. There are 3 different lengths to the applied indicies. 12, 1, 5, 7, and 11 are the longest. 3, 6, and 9, obviously short, but 2, 4, 8, and 10 are in between. Most don't realize this, and it might drive you crazy, but I like it.

5D1_3700.JPG

To end, a shot of it on my wrist while at work photographing a wedding:

5D2_3104.JPG

NVWC, Dsloan, Als 27 and 28 others like this.
  2. Screwbacks Mar 8, 2020

Congrats on that beautiful piece. Whatever pleases your eyes and personal taste, enjoy it to the max. ;)
    i like the watch too.

CSM likes this.
  3. osc Mar 8, 2020

Congrats! Great choice - especially loving the hits of red

CSM likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 8, 2020

Great post, thx for the fun journey

CSM likes this.
  5. lindo Mar 8, 2020

Thanks for an entertaining post. That underglow effect is very striking - I can see why you like it.

Edited Mar 9, 2020
    CSM likes this.
  6. mk2rick Mar 9, 2020

Interesting selection! Wear it in good health!

CSM likes this.
  7. NGO1 Mar 9, 2020

Dude, killer watch. Killer photos. Congrats

CSM likes this.
  8. jaguar11 Mar 9, 2020

A nice read and a fantastic watch which seems is well deserved. Enjoy and wear in the best of health.

CSM likes this.
  9. careless_whisper Mar 9, 2020

My favorite thread of 2020 thus far. Congrats man, very happy for you.

CSM likes this.
  10. WatchCor Mar 9, 2020

Congrats, great writeup. You have a knack for writing, several parts had me chuckling but the part about "dishes/hour tachymeter" had me laughing out loud(literally lolled) :D

CSM likes this.
  11. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Mar 9, 2020

Great post, enjoyed reading it. Congratulations for the watch, it's very beautiful:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

CSM likes this.
  12. tmilnthorp Mar 9, 2020

Congratulations on achieving your goal! Great post. I love the '57, it's my absolute favorite. I have two - each commemorating one of my daughters births.

CSM likes this.
  13. AllHerMovements Mar 9, 2020

Your patience has paid off. That is a lovely watch. Wear it in good health!

CSM likes this.
  14. JeremyS Mar 9, 2020

Congrats—that’s a lovely reference. I like the larger sub-dials Omega uses on these ‘57 Speedmasters. On the subject of Grand Seiko, remember you can always snag a 9F at a reasonable price. Grand Seiko’s quartz movements are really, really nice.

CSM likes this.
  15. CSM Mar 9, 2020

Thank you for the compliment! I'd usually rather go to the dentist than have to write something, so it's good reinforcement :).

16. greyfox422 Mar 9, 2020

Great review. The watch looks fantastic. The journey that lead to the watch sounds like you earned it, congrats!

CSM likes this.
  17. kip595 Mar 9, 2020

As my Irish friend used to say: "Goon on ya, m'son."

Beautiful selection and a swell review. Look forward to hearing more from you!

CSM likes this.
  18. stevec14 Mar 9, 2020

That’s a great read and a lovely watch. Suits you very well. Wear in good health mate

CSM likes this.
  19. mz_cle Mar 9, 2020

Congrats! A beautiful story and watch.

CSM likes this.
  20. Elitr6 Mar 9, 2020

Great write up! Let us know how you get on with life as a "one watch guy"... ;)

CSM likes this.