Forums Latest Members

When should you just buy it already?

1. CSM Dec 18, 2017

Hello all. This is my first post here. Like many of you once were, and perhaps more still are, I am considering a Speedmaster. Two years ago I decided to make my business's financial goals the prerequisite for my purchase. Well, I reached the first goal and told myself that was too easy. So, I made a second, harder goal. At the close of 2017, I'll have reached that goal, too. Still, I am hesitating.

I should also say I'm not a collector, or somebody who needs more than one watch. My hope is to never buy a watch again after the Speedmaster (naive, perhaps?). Many of you might be thinking, "So what's this guy's problem? He set goals, reached them, and can't even follow through on buying his dream watch." However, I assume that many of you had conflicts the first time you spent $5k on a watch, and dealt with similar questions: Should I instead pay it towards my mortgage/house fund? Put it into my IRA? Should I tell my wife the real price before or after I buy it? Should I instead buy one more affordable...one still really nice...but just, slightly cheaper? Etcetera.

I'm not asking for financial advice, so the thread title is a bit rhetorical. I can comfortably buy and am aware I'm the only one who can truly decide if and when I should. Instead I'm surveying for general consensus. At what point did you determine your luxury watch purchase was justifiable? After reaching a certain salary (the watch a specific % of it)? Was it tied to a milestone, regardless of your income? Did you not budget, and are now admiring your Omega eating Ramen noodles every night?

Perhaps there's some watch community wisdom to be found on this topic. Either way, thanks for reading and I appreciate those who share their input.

P.S. Of course, this debate typically comes after you have the perfect Speedmaster picked out. A 3572.50 would be perfect, but I want something in like-new condition. I'd also consider a 3573.50, especially since they're found newer, but would want to see how the sapphire top looks in person. Most likely I'll end up walking into an Omega boutique and buying the current professional reference. I do prefer the idea of being a watch's first and only owner. In searching the posts here, I see I'm far from the first to have this dilemma about these references.

2. BrianMcKay Dec 18, 2017

I would not waste thousands of dollars on a wristwatch.

ScubaRawb, RS89, LouS and 8 others like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 18, 2017

Spend $5k on a great 145.022-71 with killer patina...if you own one, it better have some soul!

In all seriousness, if I were to have one watch it would be a Rolex Sub or GMT, and then I would think about a Speedy later down the road.

Faz, NT931, MikiJ and 2 others like this.
  4. kelownapeter Dec 18, 2017

I set myself similar goals, and just purchased my first watch, Seamaster Planet Ocean 600m, 2 weeks ago. I love it, am incredibly proud of what I’ve accomplished and acheived to reward myself with, and very happy with my decision to finally pull the trigger. I say go for it, I’m glad I did

5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 18, 2017

I agree, much better to waste tens of thousands of dollars on them ::bleh::
    Screenshot_20171218-231253.jpg

0uss, RS89, strick9 and 42 others like this.
  6. jumpingsecond Dec 18, 2017

Exactly. Who wants just one wristwatch? I would spend many thousands of dollars multiple wrist watches.:D

7. jumpingsecond Dec 18, 2017

Nice @ watchknut you got it first. great minds and all that ;);)

watchknut likes this.
  8. WYO_Watch Dec 18, 2017

If it’s the perfect speedmaster you likely won’t debate at all. Pulling the trigger on the piece will be pretty painless. And wearing the piece, incredibly enjoyable.

I have owned a few speedmasters now and I have bought some duds and some winners. When you have a winner - the price is pretty irrelevant. There are all sorts of life reasons to purchase a watch and attach some level of significance. Paying off debt, buying a home, selling a home, change of job, promotion, demotion, getting married, children, grandchildren, etc.

There is also nothing wrong with someone buying a watch on whim because they liked it. I own plenty of both, and the whims are easier to let go when I am investing in another piece :D good luck stopping at one!

MikiJ, CSM, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  9. TheCaptainOfTech Dec 18, 2017

The last time I checked I got two wrists and two legs so a minimum of 4 watches is needed :)

KstateSkier and jumpingsecond like this.
  10. AnotherDon Dec 18, 2017

Only you can decide whether new from the boutique or slightly used is right for you.

But the one thing that I know for sure is that you NEVER tell the wifely-unit what you paid for the watch. She just doesn't need to know. Nothing good will come from her knowing. :whistling:

ajn3323, CSM, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  11. lillatroll Dec 18, 2017

It takes a while to get your head around spending loads of money on a watch but once that is done you can enjoy the watch, just don t think about how much it cost. I would recommend you going into a shop with lots of options and try a few different ones on. You might be surprised at what you really like when you see them on the wrist. Tell your wife straight, it is probably going to cost you a few handbags or pairs of shoes but what the hell. :)

OmegaRookie, Kmart, Edantony and 4 others like this.
  12. Bumper Dec 18, 2017

I buy my wife Jewellery for Christmas & on her birthdays, so i don't lie to her about how much i spend on watches.. The plan is, when we retire, i will sell most of them & keep a handful to use & to pass down.

+1 to @watchknut 's opinion if I was planning to have only one watch. If you have more than 1 kid, you need to get 1 watch for each of them just to be fair.

watchknut and CSM like this.
  13. sjg22 Dec 18, 2017

I also echo @watchknut - I would get a Rolex GMT (I have one so it trumps Sub for me), Sub, or a vintage Speedy (I.e. one with a date in the case back - a 2915 through 145-022-78). All are quintessential “only watches”.

This opinion is mostly because I feel like you’re an entrepreneur who values having their options open. Each of these watches are easily re-sellable and, even with a massive downturn in the markets, to me are best bets for retaining value.

I’d recommend buying on these forums (I have none of these watches for sale, for reference) - the watches here are vetted and sold by respected members at fair prices.

Edited Dec 18, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang, watchknut and CSM like this.
  14. Omega alan Dec 19, 2017

I have only one 'good' watch, my new Seamaster Co Axial, bought new and, to me, a lot of money, but I get so much enjoyment out of it.
    First night after buying it I was thinking have I done the right thing, but after that period I knew I had.
    If you can afford it go for it.

Alan

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 19, 2017

Yep, just one watch for me too and like you, I am not a collector.

Good luck and you will be totally happy with a 3572.50. it was my first "luxury" watch that I purchased 5+ years ago.

decades collection2.JPG

dscoogs, Shibata, GGG964 and 2 others like this.
  16. Edward53 Dec 19, 2017

Vintage watch collecting summed up in ten words.

17. mayankyadav Dec 19, 2017

Instead of spending 5K on one watch, you can get the same watch in excellent condition here on sale fourm for close to 3K. Does reduction of 2K help you make a decision now ?

watchknut likes this.
  18. ClarendonVintage Dec 19, 2017

It is not supposed to make sense.

19. Speedy_Gonzales Dec 19, 2017

wyatt, Kmart, jumpingsecond and 2 others like this.
  20. CSM Dec 19, 2017

It really does. I'm still particular about NOS condition, but I'm certainly keeping my eye on the watches that pop up here.

tdg2064 likes this.