Forums Latest Members
  1. ZIELSZIEK Dec 17, 2020

Long story short, I have been watching Spencer Klein's videos and, in some of them, he mentions this "revita-lume" that can "clean" lume. I have found a thread on WUS where somebody claims to have used bleach to achieve similar results.
    Now, I don't know how well this would work on lume that has a green hue like Tritium or a brownish hue like Radium does.
    I have seen that for some Seikos it works great(He mentioned results are not guaranteed).
    I am also aware of the fact that some relumers can match the texture and color of the original lume to the point that it requires a trained eye to distinguish between the two.

Now, this makes me wonder: How does bleach affect the lume? I'm talking about longterm stability. Also, what would be the consensus on having a "cleaned lume watch" versus a relume? I'm obviously nitpicking here but I thought it would be an interesting topic to approach.

What are your thoughts? Sorry if this has been talked before. I was not able to find anything consistent.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2020

I guess my first question is, cleaned of what exactly?

3. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 17, 2020

Bleach on the dial of a watch?

If you try it, I think you’ll go thru four phases of reactions to what bleach did to your dial.

First. :eek:

Second. :oops:

Third. ::puke::

Fourth. ::facepalm1::

Then, have your significant other administer this. :whipped:

I’m thinking this. ::screwloose::

Tell me I’m wrong, somebody. (Somebody usually does, and usually, I am.). ::shy::

Dgercp, Dsloan and TimeODanaos like this.
  4. Dan S Dec 17, 2020

I haven't watched the specific videos you're describing (although I've watched some of his videos), but if the revita-lume product works well, why not just continue to use it, instead of experimenting with bleach.

5. Walrus Dec 17, 2020

I’ve always been curious about bringing lume back. Most of what I have has very little lume or is quick to fade away. It’s on my list to obtain a watch with bright lume someday, I don’t think I’ll bother messing around with my existing ones out of fear something will go wrong.

6. Dan S Dec 17, 2020

I think this thread is mainly about cosmetic cleaning of luminous paint (e.g. removing gunk and making it look better cosmetically), or at least that is what Spencer was showing in the video I found. He didn't restore it functionally. My sense is that the product he used actually etches away the outer skin of the lume, leaving a cleaner surface, but that is just a guess based on something that he said.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  7. Walrus Dec 17, 2020

Oh snap I wanted to participated but didn’t properly decipher the message. Damn I feel stupid now.

Dan S likes this.
  8. Dan S Dec 17, 2020

You're not the first one to ask about restoring the function of dead lume. But I think that's normally done by a total re-lume.

9. ZIELSZIEK Dec 18, 2020

Gunk/Mold/Any contaminants, especially on white lume

As Dan S pointed out, it's not about restoring the lume from a functional standpoint, it's more of a clean.

10. ZIELSZIEK Dec 18, 2020

I don't think he sells it, does he? And even if he did, I can't see how I could justify a small vial of "watch cleaning liquid" to the local customs agent :confused:

Edited Dec 18, 2020
  11. ZIELSZIEK Dec 18, 2020

I wish I could find that exact video to link it here....

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 18, 2020

Been using it for years

B3562606-379B-451E-8203-5947ADEF1E0E.jpeg