Forums Latest Members
  1. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 6, 2018

So, here’s the thing...and I really don’t mean to attract a lot of hate here...but, well, does anyone else not like Rolexes? Now I know...watches, like many things, are personal. What I like, you will not like, and vice versa. But I’m wondering if I’m a freak in the watch world because I’ve never seen a Rolex I like the look of. Don’t get me wrong...Rolex are clearly a fantastic brand...great watches, great movements, so much history...I just don’t like the way they look. Part of it is that date bubble on some models, but that’s not all of it. My wife and I were in Las Vegas recently, looking in all the boutiques, and I liked so many brands...but still no Rolexes looked good to me. They just seem too “blingy”. So, what do you think, should I start a self help group? Would I be the only member?

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 6, 2018

I doubt that you are going to see any rolexes in the window of an AD that we would want to buy either.

Let alone an AD window in Las Vegas.

marco and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Caliber561 Dec 6, 2018

I know there are many members here who also think modern rolex looks too blingy — most people on the forum seem to prefer vintage, stainless steel sports Rolexes. Try searching up images of 6542 GMT-Masters, 1680 Subs, and etc.
    And if you can, try to see some of them in person. It's much easier to appreciate the nuances of any watch when you can examine the real deal in-hand.

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 6, 2018

Ha, I see what you mean, but I didn’t just mean ADs, or Las Vegas. Honestly, I truly respect the Rolex brand and their watches. I’m just wondering if anyone else finds their appearance not to their taste, or if it’s just me (which it might very well be!). That said, I am biased to looking at modern...I should look at some vintage Rolex...

5. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 6, 2018

Excellent points, I need to look at vintage Rolex. Just you watch, after starting this thread, odds are even that in a few weeks I will be a Rolex collector :)

6. Bushido Dec 6, 2018

I get what you're saying. I've owned multiple Rolex and each of them I moved on after a relatively short period of time. I appreciate them, tried to like them, but they don't tickle my fancy. There are lots of other brands I thoroughly enjoy and that's where I am happy.

At the end of the day, they're all just watches. Enjoy wearing what you want and like. It's the people behind the watches that makes this hobby most enjoyable for me.

eyedoc751, 3nicewatches and Steve88M3 like this.
  7. Steve88M3 Dec 6, 2018

it’s like anything else in life....some people will like them and some people will not.

The end.

8. ext1 Dec 6, 2018

3nicewatches likes this.
  9. Pun Dec 6, 2018

Without mentioning these lot of other brands that you thoroughly enjoy, your reply seems to me incomplete. And it would be a indeed great favour if you post photos of those watches you enjoy. It would be a treat to us to see dear.

kkt likes this.
  10. Vitezi Dec 6, 2018

3nicewatches and watchos like this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC Dec 6, 2018

I like the smooth bezel Oyster Perpetual, other than that, just the vintage GMT Master and smooth bezel Datejusts. On my rotation right now is an Oysterquartz

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. about3blank Dec 6, 2018

The toughest thing to separate in watch hunting is the the analytical side from the emotional side. We train ourselves so much to look for detail and hunt for value and crafting collections that it can be hard after a while to step back and say "I just like it" or "I just don't", to know what it really is about a particular watch that will make you happy. But in the end, that's where the true value arbitrage is. Happiness per dollar.

(But can be dangerous if used as a rationalization for suboptimal or even incorrect purchases -- been there too)

After half a decade, my priorities still keep evolving. But some things stay the same. Speedmasters were my first love, vintage 50s/60s Omega three-handers my second. And while I may go through months and years of not buying one while I dive through the world of supposedly more prestigious and pedigreed Rolexes and Zeniths and UGs, nothing will make me stop at a picture or website and say "ooh" quite like a nice 30T2 variant or Connie, that one fewer zero on the value be damned. (Makes for the most rampant impulse buys too, but probably only because it's where my instincts are most well-honed).

The journey of learning your own tastes is almost as fun as the building of a collection.

Point is, you like what you like. You don't like Rolex? Great, that makes your life wayyy easier :D

3nicewatches and queriver like this.
  13. nonono Dec 6, 2018

I personally prefer the smaller 36mm day date range. I find then to be way less bling-y and they sit quietly on the wrist without trying to attract too much attention. But like others have mentioned, it really is a personal preference.

3nicewatches and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Lbreak Dec 6, 2018

I felt exactly the same towards Rolex!! It's a great brand that creates nice, sophisticated watches. I can understand why people love it, but I just couldn't get myself to like any of their designs, especially the diver watches, I just couldn't.

It's a very personal thing, just a matter of aesthetic preference. Not liking Rolex isn't a problem at all, annnnnd that saves you a good bunch of funds for other watches!

3nicewatches likes this.
  15. Canuck Dec 6, 2018

Now we know what you DON’T like, tell us what you LIKE! There may be a few Rolex owner’s (like me) reply to your thread, telling you why they don’t like what you like! :)

16. nonono Dec 6, 2018

::popcorn::

WatchShopping, 3nicewatches and kkt like this.
  17. kkt Dec 6, 2018

I like my 36mm Explorer but I don't wear it all the time. It's in the daily wear rotation. Why I like it: Handsome symetrical layout. Lollypop hands. Not too big (I don't appreciate the trend of the last couple of decades toward ever-larger watches). Technically good, large power reserve, within a few seconds per day, hacking second, screw-down crown. Why I still have some reservations: Some people react negatively to the Rolex brand and think that it must be worth a mint (not true of the Explorers).

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  18. lillatroll Dec 6, 2018

I started out feeling the same about speedmasters but over time I grew to appreciate them and now have three of them. Perhaps if you look at rolexes long enough you will change your mind :)

Edited Dec 7, 2018
    3nicewatches likes this.
  19. queriver Dec 6, 2018

I own no Rolex but if someone gifted me a 5513 I'd definitely wear it, and the blue dial Sky-Dweller appeals in some way although the blingy bezel does detract a bit, so it's +'s and -'s for me.

20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 7, 2018

5508 for me please... ok, i'd settle for a 5512 as well. Definitely, the modern Rolexes do nothing for me, but there's quite a few vintage models I'd wear, even if they're not at the top of my list... one day, the right time and place, it's likely to happen.

Dan S likes this.