Forums Latest Members

Anyone else here just not love the Sub?

1. any4xx Jan 1, 2018

I’ve mentioned before that my first instinct when buying my first nice watch was to shop for the obligatory Submariner. My local AD had nearly every model in stock. After looking at them all I ended up buying a blue Seamaster 300M instead. When I had saved enough for another watch I bought a Speedmaster Pro. When I FINALLY decided it was time for a Sub, I ended up buying an Explorer II. I recently started shopping again and am now looking at either a Sky Dweller, a Datejust, or a YachtMaster. After a lot of reflection, I realize that the only reason I ever wanted a Sub is because a watch-guy is SUPPOSED to have one. But they just don’t appeal to me. Heck; I spent last week watching the old Sean Connery 007 movies in hopes of inspiration.

So am I the only weirdo here who just doesn’t get it?

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 1, 2018

I don't get Speedies, no comments please ;)

DIV, Mad Dog, ulackfocus and 15 others like this.
  3. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

I hear you and agree. Although I tried many other watches "in lieu" of a Submariner and none of them scratched that itch like the Sub ultimately did.

I will always have a Sub in my collection but I don't like the new versions with maxi cases. I want to like the 216570 but they made it 42mm. I want a Daytona but think its over priced for a stainless steel watch (my opinion). I like the Datejust 41 until I put it on my wrist.

I think that a Sub, Moonwatch and Navitimer are all "classics" and thats why they are in my small collection. I am sure the guys on the Patek, Panerai, FP, AP etc etc forum will tell me otherwise.

So to answer your post...you did it right. Always get what YOU like.
    utf-8BTWFibGV0b24tMjAxMTA3MTItMDAyODEuanBn.jpg

Edited Jan 1, 2018
    omegasaso12, marco, pippy and 7 others like this.
  4. sgtpry Jan 1, 2018

I have 2 subs, can't get enough ::facepalm1::

20180101_161659.jpg

So this one just landed, a PCG Gilt Chapter Ring Exclamation Point :D

IMG_20171231_195224_647.jpg

Submariner now officially become my all time favorite model, (except the modern steroid lugs ones)

Edited Jan 1, 2018
    ANALOGUE, omegasaso12, x3no and 32 others like this.
  5. gdupree Jan 1, 2018

I’m sure there are many who agree. I, generally speaking, am not one of those. I don’t own one, but it’s been a love of mine for some time.

I will, however, agree with you on some sub models, namely the modern chunky lug rolex’s. They just have a one dimensional look to them, and are chunky and ugly IMO.

Pun and SaintMickey like this.
  6. any4xx Jan 1, 2018

Maybe my problem is that I need to look at a vintage model. I must admit that the older models do appeal to me the more I see them. Problem is that I’m still too ignorant to safely shop for a vintage model and have the slightest clue what I’m looking at.

Pun, Retsamaes, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  7. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

I'm gonna use that..."chunky lug rolex's"::rimshot:: Not to mention the extra weight the new ones have...
    Shhhh wait I hear 116610 owners storming the gate!!!

8. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

You can get burned or disappointed at best with vintage. But don't have to go full vintage...I am sorry I missed the boat (price wise) but am still looking for one of these. 14060M 4 Liner :thumbsup:

But then that's a whole other post...we have to argue over 2 line or 4 line! LOL

z114767p---Copy.jpg

Edited Jan 1, 2018
  9. 77deluxe Jan 1, 2018

I used to dislike them. I saw far too many in the wild. Then I got a 5513 and my whole frame of reference changed. I developed a new appreciation for the vintage, plastic crystal, no-date sub. It’s the perfect tool watch.

The modern, superluminova, no lug hole cased, ceramic bezel insert. Yawn.

Pun, Nobel Prize and watch3s like this.
  10. jimmyd13 Jan 1, 2018

I'm with you on modern subs, but I also feel that way about most modern "heritage" watches. The only one that has any appeal to me (and I'm still not convinced by it) is the Tudor Black Bay Bronze. That, to me, seems to be a watch inspired by what's gone before with a very new take. The vintage subs, though, are a totally different story and I truly adore my 5513 ...
    IMG_20171227_1508089.jpg

Paulomega, marco, monti and 2 others like this.
  11. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

I love all vintage Submariners. Now if I could only find some New Old Stock with pristine dial and hands I'll be all set! LOL

12. time flies Jan 1, 2018

I like the Submariner*. Not the Submariner Date.

Have fun
    karl

Edit: *14060m

Edited Jan 1, 2018
  13. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

I tend to agree and this would be true of just about all brands including, I think its fair to say, all of our beloved OMEGAs.
    Bigger is not better, expensive does not have to be heavy...they just won't listed to us.

kkt, watchknut and time flies like this.
  14. ClarendonVintage Jan 1, 2018

i like them, but not enough to make them my immediate goal.

noelekal likes this.
  15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 1, 2018

Flat, no anti-reflection sapphire crystal is the worst. I think they could do a lot more to make it more legible and less flashy.

77deluxe and watchknut like this.
  16. any4xx Jan 1, 2018

That was the first thing I noticed when holding a Seamaster in one hand and the Submariner in the other. I kept having to move the Sub around to read it.

17. SaintMickey Jan 1, 2018

As long as that coating isn't on the outside too! Man I was annoyed when the AR came off my 3520.53.

18. watch3s Jan 1, 2018

subs can come and go, as Ive let mine go last year. one did come back later on, with a date [​IMG]

Edited Jan 1, 2018
    Uniqez likes this.
  19. jakeh417 Jan 1, 2018

I understand the idea that the Sub is a classic and as some would say should be in every collector's possession. But for some reason I can't get myself to like the Mercedes style hands. If I were to get a Rolex, which I have been thinking of lately, it would be one with non Mercedes hands like the Datejust.

TBSDSpaniard likes this.
  20. Faz Jan 1, 2018

Hmm...I never had any issues reading mine. Of course, AR coating would make it much better, but mine is very legible.
    IMG_0397.JPG

jfmiii, bjmcfp and SaintMickey like this.