Forums Latest Members

I've gone to the dark side...

1. watchos Jul 26, 2018

I've despised Rolex as a brand for a long time for a number of reasons. Among those reasons is the rep Rolex owners get for being assholes. Not trying to offend anyone here, it's just a we'll know fact. Most of their so called icon designs have never appealed to me: Daytona, Submariner or the clicops Datejust. Their fluted bezels and jubilee bracelets are just awful imo. Specially the classic gold version. Omega on the other hand had always appealed to me since I was a teenager, starting with the Seamaster, in part thanks to our favorite secret agent.

Last year about the time I got my Speedmaster my wife bought a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I was genuinely impressed. Apart from their logo(dial and buckle) everything seems really well designed. Simple. Elegant. Functional. Slowly I warmed my self up to various Rolex models. Still tied to my old misconceptions about the brand, I kept up with their news and releases.

Finally, the Explorer 1 caught my eyes a few months ago. I read about its history, different models, evolution, etc. I was intrigued. Less than a week ago I was finally able to wear one. There were many things I did not expect. Like the decreasing width of the bracelet as it reaches the buckle. A lot more noticeable difference from the Speedmaster and Aquaterra I've been wearing. I almost bought the watch, but didn't at the last minute. Something felt strange while wearing it.

After more research and visiting other ADs to look at other watches I've been stalking I decided get it. Looked at a few JLC, IWC, Nomos and a Bremont. One key thing that attracted me to this one was it's simple yet elegant black dial. I was hoping Omega release an update Railmaster with a flat black dial and elegant markets but that didn't happen. They went with the denim version and more textured dials similar to the Aquaterras on the new Seamasters. Here's my short list of requirements for this watch:

- 20 mm lug width
    - 39-41 mm case
    - Brushed steel bracelet
    - Flat black dial
    - I wanted all Arabic numerals, but just the ones in there were good enough.
    - No other color accents on the watch: hands, letters, logo, etc.

The Rolex Explorer 1 met those requirements. It's a no frills solid tool watch. Built to last.

Finally yesterday I bought the watch in between meetings. At the end of my first meeting the person I was meeting with complimented it and asked me about it since he wasn't sure about getting the 1 or 2, since he wanted the date and GMT.

I've been wearing it for about 24 hours and so far surprised with how it feels. Love the microadjusting clasp doesn't require a tool. The bracelet is brushed and low key - even though it's easily recognized as an Oyster bracelet.

With this purchase I've effectively moved to the "dark side", something I swore never to do. My only remaining issues is feeling comfortable wearing a Rolex without feeling like and asshole, something I've never felt while wearing an Omega watch. I have been a bit self conscious about it and sort of hide it when talking to people. I hope this subsides or might be my first sale after hitting 200 here ;)

(Pic is supposed to be dark, cause it's the dark side)

9F2BCC27-47CC-428E-8BD0-756F19B8FBFB.jpeg

Will try to post better ones tomorrow.

Edited Jul 27, 2018
    albertob, thekwaze, Supah and 11 others like this.
  2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 26, 2018

Wow, I thought you had purchased an Omega when you went to the dark side..
    Cheers!
    Congrats.

3. Dan S Jul 26, 2018

Congrats on your new watch. I guess now you're an asshole like the rest of us. No offense ... just a well-known fact. ;)

I bought a 39mm Exporer I a few years ago and thought I would like the classic, clean go-with-everything design. It's definitely well-made, but I just find it too plain and boring, and it gets zero wrist time. I'll probably pass it on soon.

The good news is that I won't lose a dime on the re-sale. In fact, I'll probably clear a few hundred.

Edited Jul 26, 2018
  4. watchos Jul 26, 2018

Tehncially Omega is the light side ;)

kkt and TTG like this.
  5. watchos Jul 26, 2018

"I am surrounded by assholes!"

6. ulackfocus Jul 26, 2018

I don't get it. ::confused2:: I thought I was an asshole, but I don't own a Rolex anymore. ::shy:: Guess I need to buy another to cement my reputation.

7. SteveZ28 Jul 26, 2018

Congrats! I have been debating the exact same thing for the past couple months.

I have passed on a few good deals for a used model, but this has me thinking I might have to revisit the Rolex AD to try one on again.

Where it in good health.

amiriqbal and watchos like this.
  8. watchos Jul 26, 2018

Don't worry. We can all be our own type of assholes.

ulackfocus likes this.
  9. watchos Jul 26, 2018

Highly suggest it. I was surprised about the avaibility though. First place I went to, had it. Every other one didn't. Checked st several dealers I as walked past them just out of curiosity regarding stainless steel model availability. Not even the Rolex Boutique had it.

Ended up buying it in the first place I went to even though the sales person I dealt with the first time was out that day. They assured me that she would get the comission. Didn't want to screw her over since she had been so nice the first time I went there.

10. Vitezi Jul 26, 2018

pippy, NyCSnEaK, Bill Sohne and 9 others like this.
  11. kaisiang098 Jul 26, 2018

Haha! Couldn’t resist the siren song eh? Rolex does have that effect on people.

Congrats on the new watch!!

watch3s and watchos like this.
  12. What_Goat? Jul 26, 2018

Look, say what you will, no one can deny Rolex’s quality and craftsmanship! This particular timepiece is a really nice looking one indeed - good choice..all other Rolex models. Not so much. But that’s just me...

watchos likes this.
  13. Faz Jul 26, 2018

Holy shit....the lengths you went to become one...

14. Faz Jul 26, 2018

Fact?

Since you're just out of adolescence, welcome to adulthood...

A swell known squirrel might use your a*****e epithet here, but from what I understand, he was once, a ...Rolex owner?

Assholeness is a slooooowwwww process...

It's not the feel, it's the smell that got you...

Now you can enjoy being one in perpetuity....

See? Other assholes gravitate towards this fine timepiece. It's called..."The Effect"

Feels good doesn't it? Rectumdom!!! Finally!

Make that "the brown side.."

Liar..

Life is complicated sometimes...

Ignorance is bliss!

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole..

My goodness... I need a fucking drink..make that three..

EDIT: ::rimshot::

Edited Jul 26, 2018
  15. watchos Jul 27, 2018

As much as facts can be facts in 2018.

I wish...that was a whole lifetime ago

Sure is...and a painful one as well

The annoying shine of their tiny crown...

Finally. No need to pretend anymore.

That would actually be the smell...

Well yeah, why do you think my avatar l my shows my sleeve. Pants were on fire.

But honestly, reading through the forums here helped. Was surprised to see the good things people said about their Rolex.

Only sometimes?

Take that back. Did feel strange wearing such an expensive watch at first.

Crap...there goes my backup plan.

Fifth is on me

Om3ga321, Longbow, RS89 and 1 other person like this.
  16. TMas Jul 27, 2018

I think I will be becoming an asshole this week, too. Ever put a brand new Rolex on a Witschi timeograph, jeez those things run perfectly. It’s quite incredible. I didn’t like the designs very much until I spent lots of time with them in person. The quality is just amazing.

blufinz52 and watchos like this.
  17. ac106 Jul 27, 2018

Congrats on the watch, I think it's one of the better modern Rolex models.

Rolex is complicated for me.

The watches themselves are extremely well-made, rugged, accurate etc. Design-wise, most are very good to great to iconic with few outliers

Rolex the company is a bit off-putting with their intentional shortages & slimy AD practices

Vintage and WIS type Rolex owners are generally awesome people. Incredibly knowledgeable and generous with sharing that knowledge.

It's the "other" Rolex owners that can really be a pox. And they are often loud.

So when you tune them out and come to a grumbling acceptance of the mother ship, you are left with a pretty great watch that will last a lifetime.

18. Dan S Jul 27, 2018

Interesting that the OP and others have had so many bad experiences with Rolex owners. To me, they seem exactly like everyone else and I have never had a single bad experience with a Rolex owner, or because I was wearing a Rolex.

Loevhagen, Faz, alam and 1 other person like this.
  19. jaguar11 Jul 27, 2018

Classic design. Enjoy and wear in good health whatever side of the light you choose.

20. time flies Jul 27, 2018

I so want to "say"something but these voices in my head say "don't". Today they win. The thing is: with demons, ghosts and goblins you can't kill them. You have to learn to live with them. I'm working on it. Maybe tomorrow.

Try to have fun
    kfw

warrior_poet likes this.