Forums Latest Members

3861 movement broken? *Update: Read First Post*

1. dtd Jun 7, 2021

Is there a way of knowing if you have the new bushing or not? I picked up a Pro sapphire sandwich last week, had to wait a couple of weeks for it, so I believe the AD got it fresh from Omega. And I would prefer not to have to worry about it possibly breaking very soon :p

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2021

Not really - all I can say is that the technical guide was modified in April to reflect this change. When they actually made the change is not stated.

Pun, dtd, p4ul and 1 other person like this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jun 7, 2021

Thanks @Archer, a phrase that has made my afternoon!

Pun, richiv and JPE.88305 like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2021

Glad I could help! :)

GoBlueJedi likes this.
  5. dtd Jun 7, 2021

Thanks, at least I will know what is wrong if something happens, but until then I will hope for the best and forget this thread ::bleh::

6. dtd Jun 11, 2021

Hmm, today I wanted to time how long my store run would take, while dressing I pressed the upper pusher to start the chronograph without looking at the watch. When I stopped to fill gas, I noticed that the chronograph was not running and thought I just that it either was running when I pressed it earlier or that I didn’t actually press it hard enough. But then I noticed that the watch actually had stopped and it seemed about the same amount of time that it would take me from home to the gas station. I don’t quite remember what I did next, but I think I pressed the top pusher again and the watch started, along with the chronograph or I reset the chronograph and it continued. It’s been about an hour now and I have had the chronograph running for most of the time and no issues.

Can this be related to the issue mentioned in this thread or is it possible to somehow jam/stop the watch with the top pusher?

edit: on a second thought, I am not 100% sure that the watch was actually stopped, it may have just been running slow. But I did fully wind it this morning...

Edited Jun 11, 2021
  7. tooch Jun 11, 2021

Sounds like the same fault.
    Test it out thoroughly and see if you can repeat the fault.

8. Evitzee Jun 11, 2021

Starting a lateral clutch chronograph can stop the movement if the toothed wheel that connects with the chrono's seconds wheel teeth hits directly 'point to point'. It's just a random thing and likely won't happen again. If the mechanism is working ok now there really isn't much you can do, it doesn't require any service as long as it doesn't happen again. Play with it by starting and stopping the chrono mechanism, if it works ok you don't have an issue.

Pun likes this.
  9. dtd Jun 11, 2021

That’s reassuring, I have been starting and stopping the chronograph a lot and letting it run at least one minute before stopping and resetting. Everything seems to be running smoothly and the watch keeps time perfectly. So I hope you are right :)

10. CalTurk Jun 16, 2021

Hey Guys,

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I just received my 3861 speedy back from a full service. It had a similar issue of the chronograph function stopping the whole movement after 1-4 seconds of running. I've had it back for a couple of days and its been showing the same issue, annoyingly enough. Just wondering how frequently this happens with Omega SC's where the first service doesn't do the trick.

Thanks,
    Rick

11. Glederz Jun 26, 2021

Hello all.

This is is a bit of a bummer, but I thought I should add to the thread so there is some further instances of this reported/known about.

I purchased my new 3861 Hessalite Speedmaster toward the end of April 2021, so is 2 months old. It usually gains a few seconds each day, and I am perfectly happy with this. 2 issues have been noticeable however:

1) Usually, the chronograph function works perfectly, but, per this thread, have noticed how some of the same problems have occasionally started happening with the chronograph operation, specifically this from @tooch: “I press the chronometer start button and it runs for between 1-4 seconds, and then stops, and then the whole watch stops”. Again, for me, this is just occasionally, but is worrying as I can't always trust the Chrono operation to perform as required - and I like reliability.

2) Additionally have noticed how this watch would sometimes lose 5-10 minutes overnight (it has happened 2-3 times) but have not captured details of these, but this week noticed and recorded via photos that it had lost (presumably only) 17 minutes first thing in the morning, only 15 hours after a full wind.

Anyway, I am taking it into the OB today to hopefully get this rectified. Annoying, but better to get this sorted sooner rather than later. Wish me luck.

Bry and Pazzo like this.
  12. OldManPocket Jun 26, 2021

I had both of these issues present themselves about a week after purchase in mid May. Intermittent stopping of the chronograph (all happened in the first minute of operation) and finding that my watch was suddenly running several minutes behind. I discovered that the running behind bit was actually the watch stopping, and then restarting with enough movement of the wrist. So it was binding up somehow and then restarting several minutes later. In passing, one of the salespeople at the OB said it may have something to do with a problem in the escapement, but I have no evidence of that and not nearly enough expertise to know if that's true. They replaced the watch under warranty, so I'll never know the reason behind the problems with that particular watch... just wanted to write and corroborate your statement.

So far the new one has not exhibited any of these issues.

Glederz likes this.
  13. G4_Chrono Jun 27, 2021

Sorry to hear of issues with your new 3861 but the resolution of a replacement under warranty, rather than service and return, is a good outcome. Where are you located? I’m wondering if the same would happen in the UK?

Glederz likes this.
  14. Eightball76 Jun 27, 2021

Well, I live in the uk and had mine replaced under warranty and then my funds returned when the second speedmaster had the same issue. Can’t fault the AD.

G4_Chrono, Glederz and Pun like this.
  15. OldManPocket Jun 27, 2021

Absolutely. I'm very pleased with the service, and the resolution. I'm in the US, so no idea about how it might be handled across the pond.

Glederz likes this.
  16. Speedy17 Jun 27, 2021

You went through two new speedmasters with the same issue?? It’s really sounds like they are having issues with the new movement

Glederz likes this.
  17. Glederz Jun 27, 2021

Thanks for adding more data and letting us know your experience here. I dropped it off at the OB yesterday and it’s going back to Omega (Southampton, UK), presumably for a service in the first instance. Really hope they manage to fix this permanently, as I don’t want to constantly wonder if it’ll start to play up again. Hopefully only be a few weeks without, I’d hate for this to be a long time gone. Anyway, thanks again.

18. Glederz Jun 27, 2021

Reading through this and other threads, it seems like a small percentage have had the same issues. Like it or not (and I don’t) this happens with many products. It’s good therefore to keep this thread open, to get some feel for scale, which thankfully seems to be small, as I do think that if the problem were substantial we’d be seeing much more noise about this. Some of us just have been unlucky but I’m hopeful for myself and others, Omega will ‘make right’ on each affected 3861.

19. scubafan Jun 27, 2021

I think that we all here love Omega, but we have to face it: Geoge Daniels was a superb warchmaker and the coaxial escapement is far from being perfect, at least as Daniels thought. Omega bought the idea and showed it as the future for the mechanical watches. However, problems began to appear and took years to make coaxial movements reliable. Omega will never recognize it , but coaxial is not an improvement over traditional escapement. At least in real life. I'm afraid thar with the new coaxial 3861 caliber they are facing the old problens again. Let's hope they find the solution sooner this time. Just my opinion only.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 27, 2021

While I don't disagree with much of what you said the issues with the 3861 so far have not been related to the escapement.

scubafan likes this.