321 Ed White Dial Size vs. "regular" Speedy Pro

Hello everyone, I understand the 321 Ed White speedy has a smaller case size, per the official specs, but is that only because of the elimination of the crown guards on the case? In other words, is the dial and bezel size the same as the "regular" Speedy Pros (i.e. 1861 or 3861s)?

Hello everyone, I understand the 321 Ed White speedy has a smaller case size, per the official specs, but is that only because of the elimination of the crown guards on the case? In other words, is the dial and bezel size the same as the "regular" Speedy Pros (i.e. 1861 or 3861s)?

Yes it is. It also has slightly longer lug to lug dimensions that would make it wear a touch larger than the pro.

It also wears taller because of the straight lugs.

I found the dial interestingly appears larger on the 321 because of the ceramic bezel - there's very little contrast between the dial and bezel now. You'll love it or not care for it instantly.

I'd definitely recommend trying on the watch before you buy it if you have the opportunity.
Edited:

According to the Omega specs the 321 is 0.5 mm longer lug to lug (48.0 vs 47.5), and 0.5 taller (13.7 vs 13.2). I don't notice those differences in how the 321 sits on my 7.5" wrist, but the smaller diameter and lack of crown guards gives an overall more compact look to my eyes. And no crown guards makes it a lot more pleasant to wind each morning.

It also wears taller because of the straight lugs.

I found the dial interestingly appears larger on the 321 because of the ceramic bezel - there's very little contrast between the dial and bezel now. You'll love it or not care for it instantly.

I'd definitely recommend trying on the watch before you buy it if you have the opportunity.

That is very interesting. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to find one in person; has anyone seen one of these sitting as a display model at a Boutique anywhere? Or I suppose I can find a gray dealer who has a storefront, assuming they have an Ed White.

That is very interesting. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to find one in person; has anyone seen one of these sitting as a display model at a Boutique anywhere? Or I suppose I can find a gray dealer who has a storefront, assuming they have an Ed White.
You will not find an Ed White in any Boutique, some of the larger grey sellers may have an opportunity for you to come in and try one on. Depends on where you live.

Both the EW and the Pro wear very differently… I was also interested in the smaller diameter advertised by Omega, but in the end I much prefer the feeling of the Pro on my tiny wrist…
Dial-wise I did not feel any difference compared to latest 3861 Pro.

While they have been discontinued, if you can find a Speedmaster First Omega in Space from a grey dealer, they will wear extremely similar.

While they have been discontinued, if you can find a Speedmaster First Omega in Space from a grey dealer, they will wear extremely similar.
Similar perhaps but the FOIS is thicker than the 321 so sits higher by 0.5-1 mm. It’s due to the heavyweight relief cast caseback on the FOIS. The original 60s EW was thinner still

Hope this comparison helps IMG_3757.jpeg
Actually in this picture, the EW looks bigger. Perhaps power of suggestion kicking in as it was mentioned earlier 😀

Actually in this picture, the EW looks bigger. Perhaps power of suggestion kicking in as it was mentioned earlier 😀
I think the lugs shape is a big part of that impression…

I feel the Ed white looks tall and thin and the standard pro looks a bit shorter and fatter.
All to do with the lugs I think. (Ignore my iPhone highlighting ‘Speedmaster’ on my Pro. I was using the search function in photos)
IMG_7148.png IMG_7147.jpeg

Dial size across all variations is the same - 861/1861/1861/321B - 31.2 mm diameter

Do really think it is the increased contrast in the older speedmaster (or lack thereof in the new EW) that accounts for the appearance of the difference in size. I'm sure the lugs play a part.

Interestingly the vintage EW a few posts back has better contrast between the dial and bezel, and I think would look smaller side by side to the new EW.

I see it, too.

321 dial appears larger due to the lugs being longer and narrower. The 3861 professional feels more compact on the wrist due to the mid-case sitting closer to the skin and the stubbier lugs. It is true that vintage 321s are thinner.

The bezel and dial are also centered on the 321 (as opposed to offset on the 3861 due to the crown guards)...correct? I love my hesalite 3861 but would love to find a 321 some day. That's really the only open-backed Speedy I'm interested in at this point.

The actual case on a 321 is smaller than the bezel, which causes it to overhang a little bit, while it sits flush on the pro on the left.

This creates an optical illusion that it's larger than the Pro.