Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday-style brushed finishing on a regular Speedy Pro

1. fakinbacon Feb 8, 2019

I absolutely love the all-brushed finishing on the first Speedy Tuesday and was wondering if it would be possible to have my sapphire sandwich Speedmaster Professional finished in a similar way. I know that applying a brushed finish on a typical watch case is pretty straightforward but I can't help but think that it must be more tricky on a Speedmaster case because of the tiny little angles underneath the bezel and the intersecting bevels of the lugs. I also imagine the crown and pushers would be difficult... (although perhaps you could order these as replacement parts through an AD - anyone know?)

Has anyone ever seen or heard of someone successfully attempting this? Do you think it'd be possible for an average watchmaker to do nicely, or can you recommend a web-based service who may have experience in such a thing? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, keep in mind that I plan to keep this watch for life so I'm not at all concerned about resale value... I just think it'd make a cool watch look even cooler.

lustrousaurus likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2019

Any decent high end watch maker should be able to do it.

You do need to decide how the brushing is aligned though.

3. fakinbacon Feb 8, 2019

I'm looking to recreate exactly how it is done on the Speedy Tuesday, so I'm hoping that providing some macro pics like this (courtesy of @Travelller) will be sufficient.

[​IMG]

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother doing caseback and rear of the case, and potentially not even the bezel lip itself, so it'd really just be the polished bevel that runs from the tip of one lug to the other side. I just worry about how neatly (or not) the intersection of that surface would be since Omega appears to have them running in different directions.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2019

Not a problem for anyone with reasonable refinishing skills...

frazierspa likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2019

Send it to the Australian cricket team :whistling:

Archer likes this.
  6. Dms5150 Aug 6, 2020

Hi there, how did this work out? Refinishing in a brush finish has the advantage of making the case feel way sharper. I love the look of some older speedys where this kind of brushing has happened naturally over the years on an unpolished case. Or I see a few older watches where the lugs aren't machine polished but just polished to about 1500-2000 grit so its shiny but not a mirror finish. Much less reflective on the gloss areas so you just see these big facets of steel. Would be interested to see how it went!