Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 16, 2020

https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080220/123

I am mulling this one over - it takes me a while.

I think the dial is lovely. Bezel looks real, but is a little greyed.

I wonder about the plots, they look so good.

The hour minute hands have different slot ends (to me).

I wonder what people think?

I am still thinking,

face.JPG

close.JPG

I am trying to see if it is very fine, or too good to be true. Its the plots that bother me.

When a dial is so degraded can the plots look this fresh?

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 16, 2020

By mulling I mean would I recomend it, not that I am going to buy it....

3. pittsspecial Oct 16, 2020

whats up with that 10 o'clock lume plot?

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 16, 2020

Delivery 1960 ? Just request a Geiger reading. Kind regards. Achim..... And these brown and perfect dials seem to be the new fashion. Jacek's example includes the bezel in the same colour......

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 16, 2020

That dial is mesmerizing ::love::

That lollipop lume (like I guess the majority of lollipops) has a total different texture to the dial/hands, and I guess is a result of a fall-out and relume? I apologise if I state the obvious.

So the lume bothers you? I was looking at this one the other day, and it bothered me more...

[​IMG]

(from here)

I suspect (from the description) this is one of those that sold at auction not too long ago from that race driver and his co-pilot.

Not trying to drift the thread to a different watch, but its worth comparing apples...

M'Bob likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 16, 2020

It's lovely looking thing alright. I would suggest that the lollypop lume, having a little crud/fungus around the perimeter has a good chance of being original but I do have suspicions over the uniformity of the dial lume. That dial browning does look familiar and more exaggerated than the lume suggests as Williman notes, there was a suggestion a while back that someone has perfected a browning process, maybe this is an example.

Re the driver/navigator watches, has the lume been redone since they were auctioned?

Edited Oct 16, 2020
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 16, 2020

Could be ... or an older relume. However, maybe you are spot on and the fact that it was tightly packed means it doesn't look as crystalline as the rest. I have zero experience with these, just have heard that a common problem with the lolli's of old is the lume would easily fall out.

No idea :) Too lazy to hunt the original thread to see the auction pics. If I recall, they were great and did not need reluming...

Flatfoot and padders like this.
  8. djmusicman Oct 16, 2020

It looks like a fine work of art. Here is a wrist shot

speedy ck2998-1 chocolate davidoff3.JPG

mancio, EdtheAussie, Realtime and 5 others like this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 16, 2020

If thats a DB's watch, its good.

Edit : funny the difference in color between iPhone pics and auction house pics...I’m in the camp that trusts phone pictures in natural light way more than auction house pics as they have proven to do bad photography...

Edited Oct 16, 2020
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 16, 2020

Lollipop lume: most originals, I've seen, had thin and straight lume. And it had always a different colour than the lume plots. Different surfaces and exposed to air from 2 sides....the grey'ish outer next to the metal is a good sign, but: when the lume cracks and falls out, it starts in the middle. That grey'ish outer is always intact and when you relume from the back of the lollipop hand , that blends in with the new water based tritium. Because you do not clean the hand before relume it..... So, that thicker and slightly out pointed, convex pumpkin colour lume of the lollipop hand is not from 1960. I think...... Kind regards. Achim

Davidt, Spacefruit, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnSteed Oct 16, 2020

hey @Spacefruit, Do you expect Lume plots to be a bit more....wobbly?

my view could change as I keep staring at the dial, but the lume plots seem consistent with overall dial condition, great not perfect.
    Hard not to mull this one over, quite tempting although I have another watch already in target ;)

12. JohnSteed Oct 16, 2020

interesting ... I've used mulling lots of times, and usually mean, to me, gazing at, reviewing, not sure if I want that (whatever it is) simply because the object looks good. Think I picked it up from my mom who spent half her adult life in London

JetLinks likes this.
  13. michael e Still learning. Oct 16, 2020

Only thing I can add is that the minute counter has probably had paint due to the hole being covered in the center. Also I am not convinced by the lume in the chrono hand, it doesn't look as granular as the other lume. I don't think these things were done to fool anyone, they could have been made invisible/not noticeable very easily. It is an old watch and these things are expected, very, very rarely are these things perfect.
    The dial surface looks perfect which I would expect to see on a watch with lume that looks perfect too. The brown dial looks darker around the edges which I like so the dial is beautiful but not totally uniform in colour. You would have to be a complete nutter to even consider messing around with a perfect black dial to risk making it brown wouldn't you?
    I love it :thumbsup:

Edited Oct 16, 2020
  14. michael e Still learning. Oct 16, 2020

Right.
    I have been sat here trying my best to resist but I can't do it.
    Here is mine for point of reference to the OP watch, same 2998-2 and serial 17302xxx so these watches are very close to each other. This watch has never been touched at all.

D0E4B831-EAC7-4BD6-8E2F-169F360307EB.jpeg C775B05E-BD0B-4655-9CC8-EC5B55E0E498.jpeg
  15. M'Bob Oct 16, 2020

Something about that lollipop is making me squirm a bit.

Seaborg likes this.
  16. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 16, 2020

I've seen this watch and have had it in my hands - it's a stunner. ::love::

17. Marsimaxam Oct 16, 2020

When you look at the entire watch... case, dial, hands, and bracelets and consider that Kov has seen and held the watch... it is what it is... a beautiful example of a rare reference.
    Curious to see how much watch sells for in the auction and if exceeds high estimate.

“Condition Report
    Case/Bracelet: the case is in excellent condition with minor signs of wear, is has seen sympathetic polish in the past but retains original proportions and crisp case. The bracelet is in consistent condition to that of the case.

Dial: the dial is in excellent condition and has turned a harmonious tropical brown

Movement: The movement is in excellent condition with minor signs of wear, it is running at time of cataloging and the chronograph performs correctly. The inner dust cover is still present. A service is recommended.”
    Source: Phillips Auction
    Sometimes I wish I kept stuffing the mattress with money.

Edited Oct 16, 2020
    KstateSkier likes this.
  18. M'Bob Oct 16, 2020

A63305F2-92FD-4340-8219-35EFF855446F.jpeg

Michael,

My 2998 has almost the identical hand corrosion, and I have it also on a Submariner. In your opinion, is it something in the way the Tritium reacts with the plating, or just the plating’s exposure to moisture over a long period of time?

jaegodylan likes this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 16, 2020

No tritium on that Bob...

M'Bob, Scarecrow Boat and Spacefruit like this.
  20. jhross98 Oct 16, 2020

i cannot opine on the originality of the Phillips watch

but i can say it is one of the most spectacularly attractive examples i have seen