Forums Latest Members
  1. OmeGez Mar 17, 2020

CFF339C3-BC05-40C8-BCA6-0667C5DF2EC6.jpeg
    (The smudge is just rain)

Afternoon (U.K) all,

Before anyone asks, this isn’t a sneaky ‘it’s for sale thread’ - this is a genuine question.

I've started this thread because it’s a tricky one for me.

I bought my uncles 2254.50 off him around 3-4 years ago. He bought the watch brand new in 2005. So it’s been in my family since day one.

I’m utterly in love with the sword hands and the dial, they really do shout ‘tool watch’. However, fast forward the 3-4 years and I’m lucky enough to have my grail 16570 Explorer 2.
    The Explorer is my go to watch and I like that it wears smaller than the 2254.50

I feel it’s a shame to just leave the 2254 tucked away in a box, but also almost too attached to part for the history (my uncle is still alive) . I’m quite a nostalgic person.

it’s probably the most original 2254 around, It even has the payment card receipt with everything else. I know I’ll never get another like it, should I decide to sell it.

What I’m trying to find out is, it is worth keeping tucked away in a box and forget about it for a few years - then maybe it’ll have increased in value to justify servicing it again, and putting it back in the box.

Or should I part ways with it now having had a good journey.

Who’d have thought such difficult decisions existed for what’s seen as ‘just a watch’

Does anyone have any stories they’d like to share, or regrets selling a family heirloom as such.

Omegafanman and fskywalker like this.
  2. vitriol Mar 17, 2020

If money are not the must, I wouldn't sell it given the watch is a family heirloom.

225450 value is already outperforming its retail price. Since 2016 the prices are fairly stable between $2.200 - 2.500, If you keep it for a longer I guess you will not loose any money.

fskywalker and tzachi like this.
  3. Capt Cave Man Mar 17, 2020

I know of one watch heirloom which will unfortunately, eventually come my way, my wish is that it will go to my youngest daughter...

Yes, its just a watch but will hopefully be the start of a family story, imho if there is no financial reason to part ways, I'd want to keep it safe and sound as at some point down the journey you will have something to remember your uncle by.

Edit: some nice pieces you have there!

4. OmeGez Mar 17, 2020

This is where my heart is - to keep it.

Just worry about it deteriorating long term.

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 17, 2020

I think the depreciation on these will be done by now and if kept in good condition I would expect it to at least hold value and would certainly be surprised if the price were to drop significantly.

6. OmeGez Mar 17, 2020

Sorry, I meant as in the movement deteriorating etc from not getting used.

7. RARJ Mar 17, 2020

I second the view of (if money isn't an issue) absolutely keep that watch. Not only is it a beautiful example of a beautiful piece (let's be honest, the 2254 is kinda perfect), but the fact that it was your uncle's watch has even more meaning.

My aunt's home was broken into many years ago and of the many things stolen was my grandfathers. I'm fortunate to have inherited my other grandfathers watch (WW2 Omega RAF issue) which means the world to me. I would have loved to have been able to see both of those pieces in my watch box.

One of the great things about watches is that if taken care then they will last forever (or close to it). Stash it away if you must (especially if you're not wearing it) but definitely hold on to it. It would be a shame to let it go only to want one back in 5 years and not being able to re-purchase "the one".

OmeGez likes this.
  8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 17, 2020

Right, my apologies but that too will not be too much of an issue, there are some independent watchmakers that still have access to original Omega parts. And Omega still have some parts for watches that are over 60 years old, so you could always take it back to them for service.
    And from what I have read here leaving it unworn or wearing it daily will not make a huge difference in terms of deterioration. Get it serviced every 5 - 7 years and it will last long enough to pass down to your kids or grandkids.

OmeGez likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Mar 17, 2020

I did a search casual "Omega" search on Facebook Marketplace and found four sale relatively locally. The price for those (all full sets, three of them serviced) hovered around £2100.

A lovely watch and a model I would like to try for some time at a point, just like the Great White GMT :)

Omegafanman and OmeGez like this.
  10. Eve Mar 17, 2020

So you wore the 2254 for 3-4 years. How long have you worn the Explorer for? I also sometime felt that some other watch IS the grail and were close to selling my 2254. I am so happy i didnt! My one gets almost all the wrist time now, other things come and go..
    If money arent an issue at the moment i would definitely keep it! :thumbsup: and if they are at some point you would probably get more for an Explorer anyways ;)

OmeGez likes this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 17, 2020

I say keep the watch if you’re not in need of the money it would bring. It’s a beautiful watch and one you will probably miss if it’s sold. JMO.

12. OmeGez Mar 17, 2020

The replies are just telling me what I already knew thank you all.

I’ve just been questioning myself whether it’s just greed, but in this instance - it’s nostalgia and being a watch fanatic combined.

I shall keep the 2254 tucked safely away.

tzachi, Fastsled and blufinz52 like this.
  13. OmeGez Mar 17, 2020

I’m 4 months in with the 16570 and it’s not really left my wrist, day or night. It just wears so well and the fixed bezel is bliss.

Eve and blufinz52 like this.
  14. jB1128 Mar 17, 2020

I wouldn't be too worried about that, especially judging by your photos, you and your family have taken great care of it.

Store it away in a moisture free, climate controlled environment, out of direct sunlight and get it serviced every 5-7 years, it will last well beyond your lifetime.

As others have said, if money isn't the concern, then you will likely miss it in the long run. I know that I would miss mine!
    IMG_3084.jpg

KstateSkier, blufinz52 and OmeGez like this.
  15. Speedy2254 Mar 18, 2020

Don't sell it! My 2254 was my first proper watch, bought with an inheritance from my grandmother, I could no more sell it than swim to the moon!
    As you said it's a great looker, Submariner performance with a more exclusive style, you won't see many like it & if you sell it you'll regret it & struggle to get another one...
    Mine is rotated with a Speedmaster & a DJ 41 - sometimes it doesn't get worn for a while, but I always come back to it.
    Keep it, it's a classic in the making & it'll be an heirloom one day.

16. OmeGez Mar 18, 2020

Thank you, I think that settles it.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  17. gpssti4 Mar 18, 2020

Out of all my watches, my 2254 (actually a 2054 but I have both bracelets for it) is probably the last watch I’d sell. They’re the almost perfect, go anywhere, do anything kind of watch; slim enough to go under a cuff, sporty, tool watch, highly legible and tough as old boots.

jB1128, OmeGez and Speedy2254 like this.
  18. beerbelly Mar 18, 2020

Keep it and wear in good health, never regret owning mine. FAD66EEB-D8AA-4C5C-955E-F6202957E3E2.jpeg

19. reverbtime Mar 18, 2020

Keep the watch. It's a classic now plus has sentimental value no matter the condition it may end up in.

OmeGez and Speedy2254 like this.
  20. brownwld Mar 18, 2020

I had both 2531.80 and 2254.50 and the Band is better Imho, but it is really close... Both already classic watches.